Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 28-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Experiencer

I am an atheist who cannot believe. Will I go to hell?

I hear many people say that you go to hell if you don't believe in Christianity. That includes other religions out there who would make the same claim. I cannot make myself believe no matter what and I have researched all I could into everything I could possibly read into, and I just have to remain undecided. My undecided mindset is the result of a truly honest open mind and open heart. Will I go to hell since I could not believe? Furthermore, do I need to dedicate and serve my life to a God who I don't even believe in the first place in order to be saved from hell?

Please take note that I have tried everything I possibly could and I still cannot believe. There are many other people out there who have tried as well with a truly open mind and heart (for many years, btw) and they cannot believe either. As for those who did believe who claimed they finally realized the truth, I have no way of knowing if they did not keep an open mind like me and that it was their close mindedness that lead them to believe or not.

As for me, there is no way to convince me and I am officially done trying to seek out the Lord. I have no further interest and I am not going to waste my life for what might be years and years over something that might not even be true in the first place. So, why am I here then if nothing can convince me? It is because I am simply wondering if I would go to hell anyway (providing Christianity or other religions are real) over a disbelief that I was genuine and honest about.

I am a kind and respectful person, but I only live for my own good feelings. I have no interest in helping others. So, is that a good enough heart that would earn my way into heaven or not?

Last edited by MattMVS7 : 28-03-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 29-03-2017, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator
Matt, it's okay. Honestly. Live a decent life, honour your loved ones, be true and be kind and live honestly and honourably the best you can. Your journey will not lead you to any kind of "Hell".
You might only live for yourself right now, but that can change at any time. You might not feel it right now. It might take years before someone or something comes along which you respond to with the best of yourself.
LOVE matters. And sometimes we don't see the good we do. We under-estimate ourselves. You have no idea how you have given to others in the past you may have forgotten all about, or who haven't even appeared yet!
Just live, and do your honest best, and be heart-centered as much as you can.
If you live a decent life, I think you will see more of a kindness and grace than you think, when you pass.
Old 29-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMVS7
I hear many people say that you go to hell if you don't believe in Christianity. That includes other religions out there who would make the same claim. I cannot make myself believe no matter what and I have researched all I could into everything I could possibly read into, and I just have to remain undecided. My undecided mindset is the result of a truly honest open mind and open heart. Will I go to hell since I could not believe? Furthermore, do I need to dedicate and serve my life to a God who I don't even believe in the first place in order to be saved from hell?

Please take note that I have tried everything I possibly could and I still cannot believe. There are many other people out there who have tried as well with a truly open mind and heart (for many years, btw) and they cannot believe either. As for those who did believe who claimed they finally realized the truth, I have no way of knowing if they did not keep an open mind like me and that it was their close mindedness that lead them to believe or not.

As for me, there is no way to convince me and I am officially done trying to seek out the Lord. I have no further interest and I am not going to waste my life for what might be years and years over something that might not even be true in the first place. So, why am I here then if nothing can convince me? It is because I am simply wondering if I would go to hell anyway (providing Christianity or other religions are real) over a disbelief that I was genuine and honest about.

I am a kind and respectful person, but I only live for my own good feelings. I have no interest in helping others. So, is that a good enough heart that would earn my way into heaven or not?

Matt, do Athiests believe in heaven/hell ?
Old 29-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Master
To believe is not the point, just live your life the best way you know how and be true to yourself. You don't have to follow anybody's teachings or religion and you also don't have to believe in the Lord. The Lord does not want people who worships him when they don't want to, there are enough people who believe in him who will worship him wholeheartedly and that is enough.
Old 29-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Matt, do Athiests believe in heaven/hell ?

Yes. I'm a bit confused too.
Old 29-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Suspended
Guide
Its Called Faith!

Quote:

Hello Matt,
If you do not believe in God or Church or any religion that's ok.

I do,I believe in it,I know others too,my mother was "over religious" she was what I could only describe as a relic of times long past!

But its Faith Matt,just plain old faith, if you lose faith in someone or something or some ideal then that's life,I don't meditate,I don't go to church since I was 16 and am now 64,weddings and funerals are ok, or baptism and confirmation too.
You have none of that,but if you are happy as you are fine,but you didn't come here,you were sent here whether you know it or not.
But one day something will happen that turns a light on in your head,it will be just enough to make you start questioning why things are the way they are,you will realise one day what it's all about Matt.

Kind Regards Billy.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Master
Matt.

I wish I knew the answer to your question. I was raised Southern Baptist and said all my life that I believed.. but WHAT did I believe in? I didn't even know until I got into my thirties. I began to question everything.

I SO BADLY want to believe in all the bible says, but its very very hard to.
Something just doesn't feel right and like you I CANNOT believe.

This has left me wondering if maybe calvinism is true. The chosen are already chosen. There is nothing we can do about it.

BUT, it also makes me wonder if maybe religion is just man made.

I DO believe in God. I DO believe he created all, what I don't understand is how God can be both Love and what the bible says he is.
I do believe in Jesus, but I don't understand how is death saved us? I don't understand the sacrifice of blood?
I want to understand it, Its all I think about, pray about, research.. and yet still I don't get it.

Either I am dumb, a lost cause, or something doesn't measure up.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Guide

Quote:

Christians tend to believe that Faith/Belief is important, whereas Gnostics tend to believe that works (acts) are more important. The counter evidence for Faith/Belief can be found in these verses:

James 2:14 - 2:26

John 10:25
Old 08-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Master

Quote:
That includes other religions out there who would make the same claim.
Just to clarity, most religions aren't that rigid and strict. This strong stance for exlusivity seems to be a modern Western phenomenon, where people are disconnected from their hearts.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:37 PM
Master
Quote:

While I'm not going to address the various views about heaven and hell, I just wanted to say that I went to a very compelling off-Broadway show last week called "C.S. Lewis, The Most Reluctant Convert". It's about the noted author, Sinclair Lewis, and it described his "conversion" from an atheist with a materialistic world view to one of the foremost advocates of Christianity in the 20th century. The show was based on his notes, writings, and journals. It is also noteworthy that he said "Christianity makes sense......outside of Christianity". (I'm obviously not trying to "convert" you. I'm just giving you some food for thought from the perspective of a very articulate, intelligent former atheist.)

Sinclair Lewis' journey is quite fascinating and it might interest you to read this summary from a web site about his journey.

http://www.cslewisinstitute.org/node/48