Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 16-04-2021, 09:06 PM
Ascender

I think anytime one makes personal or professional advancements there's always a danger of feeling like you've achieved some sort of superiority. I would say it can go for religious people also, I know some very religious people who look down on anyone that doesn't follow their beliefs, believe their way is the only way and act very superior because they believe they are right.
Old 16-04-2021, 09:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jro5139
I would say it can go for religious people also, I know some very religious people who look down on anyone that doesn't follow their beliefs, believe their way is the only way and act very superior because they believe they are right.
Yes, absolutely.
Old 17-04-2021, 07:49 AM
Master
This is about particular personality types that are apparently more common (from my experience) and cherished in modern spirituality. As I mentioned, there's (IMO) a clear bias going on in favour of INFP/INFJ. Extroverts as well as thinkers may be deemed less spiritual. The mantra is often to *feel* and *go within*. Imagination is often important too. This has been my experience participating in different spiritual groups. It's not difficult to see there is a personality bias.

I bet that if we took a time machine and went to some 'pagan'/polytheist communities there would be a lot of space for other kind of spiritual folks as well, with more focus on practicality, connecting with the external world (instead of shutting up the senses), a sense of worldly spirituality, and shared ritual.

Of course, in such places there would be bias too. But can we always acknowledge that there is bias, or do we assume one spiritual path, as well as one personality type, is superior to all others?
Old 17-04-2021, 08:09 AM
Master
As a side-note, I'm not really surprised Buddhism has become so popular in (western) Protestant countries, and less so in (western) Catholic countries. The Buddhist path is more focussed on the individual. Many Buddhist places in Protestant countries are also rather minimalist so it found its niche in a culture that isn't too appreciative of external enchantment. Meanwhile, the soil of Latin Catholic countries appears less fertile for such (more) contemplative paths from other cultures.
Old 17-04-2021, 05:17 PM
Master

spirituality bias in MBPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
I'm thinking about modern spirituality in particular, which is very much catering to individualism and a solitary life, all about ''going within'' and doing your own practice (say meditation, prayer, yoga, etc.) by yourself. Mainstream religion on the other hand has always been more communal. The spirituality there cannot really be separated from the shared rituals.

There are no biases in MB personality types . In fact they have mapped lots of occupations against each MBPT and specifically expressed no superiority/inferiority /desirability of any personality types . While the observations of bias and characteristic of people u described are defintely observable many times many places . But it is definitely the case all the time.
e.g. I am INTJ but many a times depending on situation i behave like ESTP .
The reason human behaviors are composite inter-mixed without watertight compartments.

When I say i am introvert it really may mean i am 52% ( as an example )introvert and 48% extrovert (introvert because 52>48 ) . And extrovert may have 55% extrovert and 45% introvert (Etrovert because 55 > 45 ) . So the difference been these 2 seemingly different introvert and extrovert people is hardly 7% (52-45) whereas commonality is (48+45) 93% . Of course this difference of small % many matter life and death in some situation but definitely not in all situations. There can be may common view points even among people with differing orientation.

Note - % above is my deduction for understanding and definitely there is no unique universal way to come to such % and I really do not get into such calculations .

Shared rituals in organized religions too can be good if its performed with the real spirit with which is intended to perform without in any way having condescending attitude towards others not following that rituals or following different rituals .

Last edited by HITESH SHAH : 18-04-2021 at 05:32 AM.
Old 17-04-2021, 10:23 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tim
Anytime somehow "compares" their belief system, knowledge of whatever can be, to someone else or a dogma or anything, they are trying to show superiority. It's not necessarily malevolent, they just know better.

Not so sure about that. It could be because they hope to learn something to add to their practices/lifestyle - or that they're just interested in people and their beliefs leading to an exchange of views.

It sometimes seems necessary to examine views that are being promulgated, something of which I'm guilty, to ensure they add up to something believable. Too often one finds contradictions, false logic and unprovable assumptions being paraded as facts. If I discover some such and raise the issue, am I being superior? I'd say not. I might be more analytical, more skeptical - not superior. And it might just broaden thoughts, as mine have been broadened across time. If my beliefs no longer satisfy the aims of my life I have to say goodbye to them...and there are many that went in the bin.

Here's a quote that seems quite appropriate in current-times spirituality. The question is why?

"It’s a simple question, but most who enter the world of magick and alternative spirituality never ask it, or never fully define the answer. As a result, they’re caught up in the “dazzling lights” of the New Age Pinball Machine, and bounced around between experiences, groups and teachers, never finding themselves or getting to their core issues and drives.
Old 18-04-2021, 01:11 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I question the statement that "introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society will be drawn towards spirituality". There are many introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society who have no interest in spirituality. But it may be that those who are drawn to practices such as meditation feel out of place in material society, with little interest in worldly achievements.

In other words, people are not drawn to spirituality because they are loners and misfits, but they may be loners and misfits because they have deep spiritual tendencies. For me, learning about meditation at the age of 19 was a huge relief, a feeling that I was finally home.
Well said, iamthat.
Old 18-04-2021, 02:07 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
"It’s a simple question, but most who enter the world of magick and alternative spirituality never ask it, or never fully define the answer. As a result, they’re caught up in the “dazzling lights” of the New Age Pinball Machine, and bounced around between experiences, groups and teachers, never finding themselves or getting to their core issues and drives.
Did I miss it, or you didn't quote the questionAny way, I found your quote on pinterest, and the question was: "What do you want?".
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 18-04-2021, 07:37 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Did I miss it, or you didn't quote the question? Any way, I found your quote on pinterest, and the question was: "What do you want?".

Thank you for that. I must have been dozy. I can't remember who actually said it - it was part of a larger 'paper' which I copy/pasted into Word a few years ago and which prompted me to ponder. as it also concerned those getting into the occult (of which there are a few somewhat dilute practices here) as a 'hobby'. I read that latter as an irony. One could be attracted to the occult/spirituality for any number of reasons subsuming that basic question: What do you want? Answers to the seeming inexplicable?

It could be to do with personality type. At first I thought it might be more about upbringing / early education but that leads to development. So it's possible.
Old 18-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I question the statement that "introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society will be drawn towards spirituality".

A further comment on this statement which implies that those who are drawn to the spiritual path are the "failures of society", unable to cope with living in the "real" world.

The spiritual group I belonged to had people from all walks of life, including doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers, etc. Hardly the failures of society. I joined this group as a student and then went on to have a successful career in IT in the corporate world of banking. My career was never that important to me, but I was still committed to doing my job well. And after all, it paid the bills.

Being in a spiritual group doing long hours of meditation teaches many things, including self-discipline, self-awareness, self-confidence, persistence, organisation, responsibility, decision-making, along with an overall sense of detachment. These are all useful attributes on the spiritual path, but they are equally useful in the workplace.

The spiritual journey is not about running away from life and society, but rather is more about learning to play the game of life effectively.

Peace