Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 16-04-2021, 08:18 AM
Master
Is spirituality biased towards certain personality types?

I'm thinking about modern spirituality in particular, which is very much catering to individualism and a solitary life, all about ''going within'' and doing your own practice (say meditation, prayer, yoga, etc.) by yourself. Mainstream religion on the other hand has always been more communal. The spirituality there cannot really be separated from the shared rituals.

Using the Myers-Brigg personality types, I think there is a bias in modern spirituality towards certain personalities, in particular the INFP personality. I stands for introversion (in contrast to Extroversion), N stands for intuitive thinking (in constrast to S: sensing / practical thinking), F stands for feeling (in constrast to thinking/intellectual knowledge) and P stands for perceiving (in constrast to J: judging/orderliness). It could be argued that P and J are a close tie, as doing a spiritual practice in a rigorous manner at certain times does smack of structure and an orderly personality type, so I would say there could be a tie in modern spirituality between INFP and INFJ.

I believe modern spirituality - catering a lot to singles, housewives, voluntary celibates and highly individualistic people - has an inbuilt arrogance in that it assumes it is the most spiritual, when in fact, it is just one path amongst many others. The arrogance returns every time self-proclaimed 'spiritual' folks ridicule and bash ''religion'', whereas their own spiritual path is presented as more genuine. But as I see it, it isn't worse or better than other paths. A spiritual or religious path is merely the result of a number of variables that allow it to thrive within a given context. It is a reflection of where someone is in life.
Old 16-04-2021, 11:00 AM
Master
Interesting you say that. Because in every forum i've been in, whenever there was a Myers-Brigg personality type thread, the majority of the people said they were INFP or INFJ with INFP taking the lead. INTP was usually third most common.

Naturally i feel introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society will be drawn towards spirituality (or internet forums for that matter). Gives them a sense of personal identity and belonging. Spiritual practices can make you feel like you are going somewhere, becoming someone, achieving something. Like anything one pursues whether a job or sports activity. It can get to your head without you ever realizing it.
Old 16-04-2021, 01:38 PM
Master
Hello,

Whether introverted or extroverted, spirituality or religious, I feel, most people want a sense of belonging and purpose. Whether it be with others or with life itself.

There are personal reasons and if someone is getting something out of it. Whether it be a sense of connection with in oneself or a connection with a community. There seems some sort of “reward” is obtained and perhaps expected.

To me, religion and spirituality in a way go hand in hand. Although can be viewed that religion in many ways can be a bit more organized.

Both have their agendas. Whether it be self development, finding a sense of peace or belonging to a group.

Some take the solitary route. This can be found even among the monks that choose to live away from society, in general. Yet, even the monks may find the “calling”/need/desire to help out the fellow human being.

Yes, different paths are formed. As to where each path may lead seems somewhat dependent on where focus is placed.

Like anything else spirituality gets marketed and some of it can be beneficial, while other can play upon the insecurities of people.

It is interesting how some practices are being embraced, such as meditation and mindfulness. How even some science/psychology is showing the benefits of such practices.

I think in some respects there is awareness of how the mind/body affect each other. The spiritual aspect seems interesting as well, It seems reflected in many ways. Whether through self exploration, practices, and even through some scientific studies (if one sees it that way)

Yes, ones personality trait does seem to affect perhaps how and what one may pursue in life.

Interesting subject
Old 16-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Administrator
I Happen to agree more with Moonglow but other posts have valid points as well

Namaste
Old 16-04-2021, 02:31 PM
Master
Altair,
you make some fine points.

I noticed that some of the 'most' spiritual people who proclaim how spiritual they are, might not be as spiritual as we might think as they go about ridiculing others, creating divisions and acting as if there is only one way...... their way.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 16-04-2021, 08:08 PM
Master

Some interesting thoughts.

I am not drawn to any religion because there is no religion which reflects my own particular philosophy, beliefs and practices. Also, religions tend to be externally focused, whereas I am more drawn to looking within. And I do not feel the need for an intermediary such as a priest or a rabbi to intercede between me and the Divine. But I have no problem with others following whatever works for them.

I was part of a spiritual group in my 20s, and over the years since I have also looked into various other spiritual groups and communities. While I felt a certain amount in common with them, I did not feel inclined to join their particular structure and follow their particular rules.

So I am now quite happy following my own path, doing my practices as I choose.

I question the statement that "introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society will be drawn towards spirituality". There are many introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society who have no interest in spirituality. But it may be that those who are drawn to practices such as meditation feel out of place in material society, with little interest in worldly achievements.

In other words, people are not drawn to spirituality because they are loners and misfits, but they may be loners and misfits because they have deep spiritual tendencies. For me, learning about meditation at the age of 19 was a huge relief, a feeling that I was finally home.

Peace
Old 16-04-2021, 08:10 PM
Master

Spirituality is between you and your inner source of guidance. The rest is filtered (a.k.a. "distorted") through your perceptions.

Often, labels are misleading. We use the same terms, and understand different things.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 16-04-2021, 08:19 PM
Just Tim

Anytime somehow "compares" their belief system, knowledge of whatever can be, to someone else or a dogma or anything, they are trying to show superiority. It's not necessarily malevolent, they just know better.

Going from there, someone who knows better, actually knows less.

One way I see clearly to relate to you would be to translate that into "It's always those who talk the most about something that do the least".
Old 16-04-2021, 08:30 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat

I question the statement that "introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society will be drawn towards spirituality". There are many introverts, loners, misfits, and failures in society who have no interest in spirituality. But it may be that those who are drawn to practices such as meditation feel out of place in material society, with little interest in worldly achievements.

In other words, people are not drawn to spirituality because they are loners and misfits, but they may be loners and misfits because they have deep spiritual tendencies. For me, learning about meditation at the age of 19 was a huge relief, a feeling that I was finally home.

Peace

This reminds of an old interview with Itzhak Bentov I re-watched recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMbeK_6ATxQ&t=323s

That segment started with the question: where do yo see us now in that evolution of the development?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMbeK_6ATxQ&t=101s

The most developed people aren't (probably) in universities, leading edge of professions, but ... in mental institutions (!).
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 16-04-2021, 08:32 PM
Just Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
The most developed people aren't (probably) in universities, leading edge of professions, but ... in mental institutions (!).
Hmm... That would explain a lot. Not that I'm in one though !