Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 12-02-2021, 06:11 AM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Question Challenges with non-spiritual family members?

Just wondering, does anybody have challenges in regards to family when it comes to spirituality and their beliefs?

My parents have passed on leaving my brother to be the only immediate family left, but I feel he doesn't often understand or take me seriously when I talk about my beliefs?

I am a Wiccan witch, Tarot reader, Starseed, empath, to which I work mostly with my intuition and let that guide me in decision making and other areas when I feel called to. I believe in divine timing and I work alongside spirit guides, ancestors, angels, the fae, deities and the universe.

My brother is more the logical thinker, the black and white type guy. To him 1+1=2 and if I say it equals a window (lol), then he doesn't take me seriously or thinks I'm not being "responsible' with my life.

Anybody else have these kinds of challenges?
Old 12-02-2021, 08:57 AM
Master

Yes I do. I do not talk about it with family, friends or anyone. I find it is better to keep it to myself.
My husband is like your brother.
Old 13-02-2021, 02:33 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralsuzy
Yes I do. I do not talk about it with family, friends or anyone. I find it is better to keep it to myself.
My husband is like your brother.

Looks like I'm luckier. My parents (formerly foster-parents) were laissez-faire. They realise you can neither control nor usefully censure a person's beliefs and ideology. They might discuss it openly - their view like mine is that there's always more to learn: ideas that can help development.

If someone tries to ridicule/denigrate my beliefs then I shut up. But they wouldn't be part of my life/circle of friends such as it is, nor I theirs.
Old 13-02-2021, 04:52 PM
Experiencer

Why do you discuss your beliefs with him?

I think that's what causes your problems.
Old 13-02-2021, 09:41 PM
asearcher

I agree it is a challenge. I have to love someone for their other qualities instead as well as this person or people me but because it is a natural part of who I am it can sometimes feel like I wear a mask and my true self is underneith.

I had been taught that spiritualism, God are non intellectual matters and therefor can not exist, in short. Each of my parent's families of people having spiritualism and/or a gift or two was hidden from me for a long time. My father was telling me selected stories as I think he notice there was something up with me ,but he was too reserved. My mother would too, but more reserved than my father. Then the closest people amongst them family were more like me and I was happy when finding myself at a family function where the topic was brought up without shame attached to it.

I think for me the problem is that one knows that it is someone one love that will put you down, question you, mock you for your belief. I still have it from childhood that I am not allowed to talk freely about such things. I have to be careful who I share the information, experiences with.

In past and current relationships a man living that close to me will understand sooner or later that something is up. I've heard "How did you know? No, really, how did you know?", "Don't lie to me". I can understand the complexity in this. For one thing I am afraid I will be seen as a crazy person. I will be rejected. They won't trust or like me anymore. But then too I have wondered why someone in my past was so persistent to get me pregnant after a series of events where he believed I was gifted in some way(s). This was a crazy period in my life. I had poor sleep which meant I had less regulations, we were unhappy and even if I said things that were true (but hidden) I wished I hadn't. Did he think it would go from me to the child? That it was in the blood? What would he then want to do with the child? I never got my answer(s), but I was afraid to ask too. I had a bad feeling.

I find that excluding those who I love and care about who don't share my interest or "gift"s from the subject will be the best thing. Find those that you can talk to about these things instead that will understand. For me I would have been able to feel more close to these other people I love and care about, both in my past as well as my present if I knew they were going to be supportive and understand, and this is what I miss.
Old 14-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Everyone is different i was born with my gifts for that i was called all sorts of names . was told i needed to see a psychiatrist the lot.
My guide told me to walk with my head held high.
my grandmother understood me and she told me my mother did as well. but she was scared of what i could do. and so she called me names instead.
until one day they said something and i turned on them all told them they were arogant had no empathy for others and were sefish.
that was so true of my mother and sisters.
my dad didnt believe me he called me all sorts my brother was neutral .
So it does happen you just need to rise above it.

Namaste
Old 14-02-2021, 02:46 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterRose
Why do you discuss your beliefs with him?

I think that's what causes your problems.

Yes, I do because it's a big part of who I am. If I am guided by spirit/universe to do something in my best interest, or it's coming from my higher self/inner wisdom, then I will say that, because sometimes there's no other way to explain my reasoning and he usually needs a reason for everything. But it if doesn't make any logical sense, if it's out of the box thinking something divinely guided he acts like I'm making irresponsible choices.

Here's what might help to understand this more. Both our parents died one month apart in 2016 and 2017 and he is the only immediate family I have left anf he is also the older sibling therefore he tends to be a bit controlling and questions my life choices. But I'm not going to sit there and come up with a fake excuse as to why I chose to live my life the way I do just so he can understand it under his terms.
Old 14-02-2021, 03:05 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by asearcher
I agree it is a challenge. I have to love someone for their other qualities instead as well as this person or people me but because it is a natural part of who I am it can sometimes feel like I wear a mask and my true self is underneith.

I had been taught that spiritualism, God are non intellectual matters and therefor can not exist, in short. Each of my parent's families of people having spiritualism and/or a gift or two was hidden from me for a long time. My father was telling me selected stories as I think he notice there was something up with me ,but he was too reserved. My mother would too, but more reserved than my father. Then the closest people amongst them family were more like me and I was happy when finding myself at a family function where the topic was brought up without shame attached to it.

I think for me the problem is that one knows that it is someone one love that will put you down, question you, mock you for your belief. I still have it from childhood that I am not allowed to talk freely about such things. I have to be careful who I share the information, experiences with.

In past and current relationships a man living that close to me will understand sooner or later that something is up. I've heard "How did you know? No, really, how did you know?", "Don't lie to me". I can understand the complexity in this. For one thing I am afraid I will be seen as a crazy person. I will be rejected. They won't trust or like me anymore. But then too I have wondered why someone in my past was so persistent to get me pregnant after a series of events where he believed I was gifted in some way(s). This was a crazy period in my life. I had poor sleep which meant I had less regulations, we were unhappy and even if I said things that were true (but hidden) I wished I hadn't. Did he think it would go from me to the child? That it was in the blood? What would he then want to do with the child? I never got my answer(s), but I was afraid to ask too. I had a bad feeling.

I find that excluding those who I love and care about who don't share my interest or "gift"s from the subject will be the best thing. Find those that you can talk to about these things instead that will understand. For me I would have been able to feel more close to these other people I love and care about, both in my past as well as my present if I knew they were going to be supportive and understand, and this is what I miss.

hi,

Thanks for sharing. I am sorry to hear of some of these instances and I do see where you are coming from but for me personally, I have been on a long journey to find the truth and part of the truth if not all (at least for me) is authenticity. I am tired of shying away from who I am because it's something that may not be understood by everybody but I always hope that understood or not, I would be respected none the less.

No, I don't go running through the streets shouting "I'm a witch!" for example. or trying to get my spiritual beliefs in where I know they aren't wanted or won't be well perceived, but I also know that this is who I am and I can no longer hide from that. Why should I wear a mask to make others feel more comfortable when it's having the reverse effect on me? As long as I am not pushing my beliefs onto others shouldn't I be allowed to express myself in my truest form? I won't apologise for being who I am. I have done so much apologising for being me in the past and now I have come to realise that it's time to embrace who I am completely and not be afraid to show that to the word again being respectful, however, of others but also not hiding behind the mask.
Old 14-02-2021, 03:12 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Everyone is different i was born with my gifts for that i was called all sorts of names . was told i needed to see a psychiatrist the lot.
My guide told me to walk with my head held high.
my grandmother understood me and she told me my mother did as well. but she was scared of what i could do. and so she called me names instead.
until one day they said something and i turned on them all told them they were arogant had no empathy for others and were sefish.
that was so true of my mother and sisters.
my dad didnt believe me he called me all sorts my brother was neutral .
So it does happen you just need to rise above it.

Namaste

Thank you, and I am sorry you have had to go through that. Yes, rising above is right and it's easier with others I encounter or know, but it becomes a challenge with my brother. I guess I will find a way somehow to eventually make peace with it and still be me and staying in my authenticity.
Old 14-02-2021, 05:50 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceptivePisces
Yes, I do because it's a big part of who I am. If I am guided by spirit/universe to do something in my best interest, or it's coming from my higher self/inner wisdom, then I will say that, because sometimes there's no other way to explain my reasoning and he usually needs a reason for everything. But it if doesn't make any logical sense, if it's out of the box thinking something divinely guided he acts like I'm making irresponsible choices.

Here's what might help to understand this more. Both our parents died one month apart in 2016 and 2017 and he is the only immediate family I have left anf he is also the older sibling therefore he tends to be a bit controlling and questions my life choices. But I'm not going to sit there and come up with a fake excuse as to why I chose to live my life the way I do just so he can understand it under his terms.

Why do you feel like you have to explain your reasoning to him?

You may just have to accept that he may never accept this part of you.