Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 10-01-2021, 02:36 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Two Steps to the Not-Two

Short version https://youtu.be/kPdsAPlK2Js

The teaching is given in two steps—first, the well known 'neti, neti' 'not this, not this' leading to the realization of our spiritual nature and second, seeing that this newly discovered spiritual nature is nondual. Clarity about both steps is necessary to realize nonduality (Advaita). My talk will aim at achieving this clarity.

Long version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=linp33m9rIk
Old 16-01-2021, 10:33 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Ask Swami with Swami Sarvapriyananda

https://youtu.be/Bf45_kW2yI4

Q&A session lead by Swami Sarvapriyananda at the Vedanta Society of New York on January 3rd, 2021. List of questions with timestamps:

00:00​ - Intro
02:02​ - What is the role of the mind in self-realization?
41:03​ - How can deep sleep be an experience?
49:42​ - Is the "I" thought unique? How does investigating it lead to the Atman?
Old 17-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
https://youtu.be/Bf45_kW2yI4

Q&A session lead by Swami Sarvapriyananda at the Vedanta Society of New York on January 3rd, 2021. List of questions with timestamps:

00:00​ - Intro
02:02​ - What is the role of the mind in self-realization?
41:03​ - How can deep sleep be an experience?
49:42​ - Is the "I" thought unique? How does investigating it lead to the Atman?

First of all, thank you for posting the timestamps for specific parts of the talk as that facilitates quickly finding portions that are of personal interest.

I just listened to the part about deep sleep being an experience. Since I practice "conscious sleep" and can remain aware in the deep sleep state, the Swami's explanation was curious as there are no words that can describe it and there is also no "I" in that state. As one observes the transitions between the various states, one can observe the arising of the various levels of "I".

Sometimes, there are questions that are best left unanswered ... as it might be best to direct the questioner to observe that phenomenon directly for one's self.

EDIT: I just listened to the section on the "I" thought and, as I expected, Swami referenced the Madukya Upanishad, which is exactly what was my inspiration for conscious sleep and the practice of investigating the "I" thought definitely does lead to the Atman though the "I" thought is NOT the ultimate Reality, as Swami duly noted. Nisargadatta pointed out that the "I AM" is the gateway to the Absolute. Ramana Maharshi taught self-inquiry ("Who am I") and duly noted that, eventually, that which is does not even say "I AM".
Old 17-01-2021, 04:27 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
First of all, thank you for posting the timestamps for specific parts of the talk as that facilitates quickly finding portions that are of personal interest.

I just listened to the part about deep sleep being an experience. Since I practice "conscious sleep" and can remain aware in the deep sleep state, the Swami's explanation was curious as there are no words that can describe it and there is also no "I" in that state. As one observes the transitions between the various states, one can observe the arising of the various levels of "I".

Sometimes, there are questions that are best left unanswered ... as it might be best to direct the questioner to observe that phenomenon directly for one's self.

EDIT: I just listened to the section on the "I" thought and, as I expected, Swami referenced the Madukya Upanishad, which is exactly what was my inspiration for conscious sleep and the practice of investigating the "I" thought definitely does lead to the Atman though the "I" thought is NOT the ultimate Reality, as Swami duly noted. Nisargadatta pointed out that the "I AM" is the gateway to the Absolute. Ramana Maharshi taught self-inquiry ("Who am I") and duly noted that, eventually, that which is does not even say "I AM".

Yup, Ineffable is the only word that describes it and it doesn't even do that. LOL!

It's why I use "known" in quotes. In one sense it's known but only after the fact. The direct "knowing" is It revealing Itself and afterward it translates into the knowing of the mind, though at that point Ineffable is the only way to even begin to attempt to relate the experience.

At some point and after I feel I've come to a sufficient point of consolidating my experience I intend to give Dream Yoga a go. Right now I'm slowly getting back into MILD LDing and that will give me some preparation to proceed to WILD and/or Dream Yoga.
Old 18-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Yup, Ineffable is the only word that describes it and it doesn't even do that. LOL!

It's why I use "known" in quotes. In one sense it's known but only after the fact. The direct "knowing" is It revealing Itself and afterward it translates into the knowing of the mind, though at that point Ineffable is the only way to even begin to attempt to relate the experience.

At some point and after I feel I've come to a sufficient point of consolidating my experience I intend to give Dream Yoga a go. Right now I'm slowly getting back into MILD LDing and that will give me some preparation to proceed to WILD and/or Dream Yoga.

As you know, I've done "conscious sleep" for years which includes even more than dream yoga.

What is "LDing" and WILD Yoga?
Old 18-01-2021, 08:07 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
As you know, I've done "conscious sleep" for years which includes even more than dream yoga.

What is "LDing" and WILD Yoga?

LDing = Lucid Dreaming. WILD is an induction method (Wake Induced Lucid Dream) where if executed correctly one never loses consciousness and only the body falls to sleep. It sounds a lot like conscious sleep though most practitioners of WILD don't maintain that state all night, however I have heard one tell of accomplishing that on occasion over at dreamview forums. He's one of the LD gurus and specializes in WILD.

The short time I practiced back in 2015 I never succeeded at WILD. My technique was MILD (Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream) which is via intention setting as one falls to sleep and also practicing reality checks throughout the day so it becomes habit and eventually manifests in dreams. My reality check is fingers. In a dream there will be too many, too few or they will be too fat, skinny, long or short. That snaps one right into waking consciousness inside the dream.

I'm not a natural lucid dreamer so I have to work at it, though since I just started practicing again (mostly dream recall) I had two spontaneous lucid dreams just a couple of weeks ago and both were much longer in duration than any previous, and prospective memory was on the ball because I remembered to rub my hands together and repeat "I am dreaming" to help stabilize and lengthen lucidity.
Old 19-01-2021, 10:54 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Swami Sarvapriyananda | Consciousness — The Ultimate Reality

https://youtu.be/z3cuMEBYm_g

This talk outlines what I think is one of the most effective teachings of Jnana Yoga for Self-realization, Drig Drishya Viveka -The Seer & the Seen.

https://medium.com/@sujatha.ratnala/...n-a86c2605d221

The Seer & the Seen Discrimination

The Eyes sees a variety of objects in front. The eyes cannot see themselves and are distinct from the objects. The objects may change but the eyes remain the same.

The Mind collects the inputs from the eyes and hence different from the eyes. The eyes may be semi blind, effected by cataract or vision problems but the mind distinct from the plurality of the condition of the eyes.

The Mind could be in different states but experienced by the Self. Hence the Mind becomes the ‘Seen’ and the Self the ‘Seer’.

This teaching is ultimately leveraged using Vedantic Self-inquiry and in effect what is outlined in Ramana Maharshi's "Who Am I?".
Old 19-01-2021, 12:10 PM
JustASimpleGuy

141st Bhagavan Sri Ramana Jayanthi

Speaking of "Who Am I?"...

https://youtu.be/_0RqFws21hQ
Old 19-01-2021, 02:59 PM
Master
Quote:
LDing = Lucid Dreaming. WILD is an induction method (Wake Induced Lucid Dream) where if executed correctly one never loses consciousness and only the body falls to sleep. It sounds a lot like conscious sleep though most practitioners of WILD don't maintain that state all night, however I have heard one tell of accomplishing that on occasion over at dreamview forums. He's one of the LD gurus and specializes in WILD.

The short time I practiced back in 2015 I never succeeded at WILD. My technique was MILD (Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream) which is via intention setting as one falls to sleep and also practicing reality checks throughout the day so it becomes habit and eventually manifests in dreams. My reality check is fingers. In a dream there will be too many, too few or they will be too fat, skinny, long or short. That snaps one right into waking consciousness inside the dream.

I'm not a natural lucid dreamer so I have to work at it, though since I just started practicing again (mostly dream recall) I had two spontaneous lucid dreams just a couple of weeks ago and both were much longer in duration than any previous, and prospective memory was on the ball because I remembered to rub my hands together and repeat "I am dreaming" to help stabilize and lengthen lucidity.

Thanks for the clarification. I am very familiar with lucid dreaming but had not recognized the abbreviation "LDing".

Regarding WILD (Wakeful Induced Lucid Dream), I recently had a dialogue with a Buddhist retreat facilitator who teaches "conscious sleep". He talked about becoming thought free in the wakeful state as a helpful preliminary practice and our discussion related well to what you wrote about WILD.

Thanks again for the clarification. I don't need any further explanation. I was just unfamiliar with the acronym though I am quite familiar with the processes themselves.
Old 19-01-2021, 03:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Speaking of "Who Am I?"...

https://youtu.be/_0RqFws21hQ

As you probably known, Ramana Maharshi is one of my favorite sages.

There was one comment on the video that really resonated with me regarding the "Who Am I" self-inquiry process. It is right on target.

ONE COMMENT POSTED REGARDING THE VIDEO:

Venkat Raman
5 days ago

I remember reading Sri Raman saying this somewhere: "" You do not get an answer when you ask ' who am I? '; The questionnaire simply dissolves along with question ".