Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 04-03-2022, 02:54 AM
Master
Why is equanimity the 4th Jhana?

Without overly complicating things, I don't say what equanimity is. I rather say that equanimity is the absence of craving.

In the Western mind craving is what you want, but in Buddhist philosophy, craving is both what you want and what you do not want. Equanimity is the cessation of the dynamic tension between aversion and desire.

That said, why is equanimity the highest of 4 Jhanas?

Cheers.

Last edited by Gem : 04-03-2022 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:03 AM
Master
I don’t know exactly why in Buddhism, but through my own experience, when I found that middle path between both, I became at peace with what is. I know myself on both sides and until you fully address it within, you can’t know and feel this directly as yourself. And of course peace means your no longer caught in suffering.

Which is pretty significant to living a life where the past no longer influences your present experience.

I mean there is the practice and then the full surrender to yourself in this way where you begin to notice the balance moving you in peace and calmness even as others still in their own chaos. Even as life is in its own chaos.

In saying this, i only have my own experience to base what I’ve found in myself.

I don’t think you can lose it once ‘aware’ but certainly it can be tested ongoing through life happenings.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:43 AM
Experiencer

Doorway to benevolence.

Become both selfless and involved.

Intention to offer a space of stillness that restores order.

Right action that moves in harmony with surroundings.

Is most generous.

Each moment is a loss.

That can overwhelm with grief.

Each gain is a distraction.

That can overwhelm with greed.

The creative way balanced within the center.

Allows for the old to be set free.

And the new to be born.

Free from sorrow.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:10 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It reminds me of a story.
There was an old man, a sage, every day he left to go help others
And every night he came back, thanking his wife for the delicious meals she made
Every day she prepared the best meal she could, putting all her love in it
And every day the man was eating it, enjoyed every single bit of it, and thanked his wife for all the attention she was giving
One day he said, "my wife, you know how much I love the meals you're preparing for me
you know how much you are the best cook, and you prepare the things I love the most
But you must know that one day I won't take any pleasure in eating the best meal in town
And you must know that, that day, will be my last one.

A few years passed, every day the man went out to help others
Every night he came back, thanked his wife for cooking the best meals
One day, he ate, but the meal didn't taste anything
He gently put the dish aside, thanked his wife for preparing the best meal
He went to bed. The next day, he didn't wake up.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
If you see it as the 'Highest' then there has to be a 'Lowest' and that is not equanimity
Old 04-03-2022, 12:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
through my own experience, when I found that middle path between both, I became at peace with what is, and of course peace means your no longer caught in suffering - the past no longer influences your present experience - life is in its own chaos.
Without going too deeply into this, like how it is felt deeply in ones-self, it comes down to seeing things the way they are as opposed to wanting them to be otherwise. That want otherwise is why there isn't equanimity. It's chaos in a sense that we're in the condition of suffering and no one wants to suffer. Because we are suffering now, we don't want that, and we want liberation in the future. Hence, to stop craving is tricky business.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Hence, to stop craving is tricky business.
Not when you understand the reason as to why your craving.Trying to stop ' Cravings' is in itself a craving, best to let them fall away naturally through awareness.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:07 AM
Master
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Without going to deeply into this, like how it is felt deeply in ones-self, it comes down to seeing things the way they are as opposed to wanting them to be otherwise. That want otherwise is why there isn't equanimity. It's chaos in a sense that we're in the condition of suffering and no one wants to suffer. Because we are suffering now, we don't want that, and we want liberation in the future. Hence, to stop craving is tricky business.
Exactly.

It is just as it is.

I mean I see it this way even as world events play out. The more I want it different, to change, or be a certain way, the more I move from my inner peace.

It’s not detachment either, I know the difference.

Full immersion is when I let all of my being immerse and feel myself clear and at peace with what is.

The thing I’m learning, is that sometimes others will try to pull you into their ‘not seeing’ clearly, reality but the thing is once you see clearly what is, you can’t be pulled into it.

Like..

Your unmoved and they want movement because they think your unmoving being should be moving..hehe

Even things like strong emotions...

My son and his gf were recently having dinner with us. My son was expressing strongly, pushing outwardly energetically, (nothing bad) but I noticed in my non reaction self to his dance, he was affecting the quieter ones. He naturally projects himself with a strong presence, (he was my teacher)anyhow I looked him in the eye and said, “why are you yelling?” We are only having a conversation here, and we live quietly here son. Anyhow he looked me in the eye as if he remembered himself through my clear peaceful tone. He immediately became quiet and peaceful. His gf then began to share, in her usual bubbly self. It was peace reflecting clearly to chaos.

Anyhow my partner was flabbergasted by the unfolding. He kept saying. “Wow it was like you cast a spell on him” I said “ no he taught me everything I am so he’s remembering”
Old 05-03-2022, 05:41 AM
Master
Sans thought, abiding in awareness self-aware, celebrating our innate aliveness as vibrant blissfulness, presence which embraces and releases each life impulse in a seamless, unclinging flow, moment to moment, has no bondage.

Until we blink.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:00 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
celebrating our innate aliveness as vibrant blissfulness
I think that's only possible for people without real serious problems. Like people who just have self caused problems like how they think or something.