Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 29-10-2021, 04:21 PM
Master
QUOTE 70 EXCERPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade

"When we lose our minds we come to our senses."
Alan Watts.

I love that quote ! I had never heard it before but it resonates well.
Old 29-10-2021, 04:28 PM
Master
QUOTE 80 EXCERPT:

Quote:

Brahman being conscious of Brahman? That's the way I understand it.

Ramana Maharshi: "The ego is the subtle bond between the un-Self-conscious body and the Absolute Self-conscious Reality."

Your "Brahman being conscious of Brahman" fits in well with Ramana's "Absolute Self-conscious Reality" and my own understanding as well.
Old 30-10-2021, 11:03 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I love that quote ! I had never heard it before but it resonates well.
Put that in your 'toolbox'. It has such simple and elegant power, doesn't it?
Old 30-10-2021, 11:17 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Ramana Maharshi: "The ego is the subtle bond between the un-Self-conscious body and the Absolute Self-conscious Reality."
I think there are so many different ways of saying the same thing, depending on the context. Sometimes it just takes a little translation and loosening of the literal.

That's close enough to my own understanding of the psychology of it.

Since we were talking about the dissolution of the ego, that is the reason the ego is never completely 'dissolved', there needs to be a 'link' between the two realities to bring consciousness of the Absolute back to the un-Self-conscious, otherwise we'd never be conscious of it.
Old 30-10-2021, 01:20 PM
Master
QUOTE 84 EXCERPT:

Quote:

Since we were talking about the dissolution of the ego, that is the reason the ego is never completely 'dissolved', there needs to be a 'link' between the two realities to bring consciousness of the Absolute back to the un-Self-conscious, otherwise we'd never be conscious of it.

That is an interesting point as one starts to rely more and more on the Absolute-Self-conscious-Reality than on the little separatist "ego" (one's role on the stage of Life). One must be able to shift between the two.

The Sufi Mystic Pir Vilayat Khan, under whom I practiced for a few years, has said: "The ego is very important ... until one no longer needs it."
Old 31-10-2021, 09:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
It is said the Mandukya Upanishad alone is enough for Enlightenment. Waking, dreaming, deep sleep/Om (Aum) and Turiya/Silence. Or think of it as form and Formlessness.

Vivekananda said something like "I never said all is Brahman. What I said is there is only Brahman".

It doesn't matter what any Guru types say the question remains . The question put to you that was unanswered remains .

Your thoughts or realisations or truths about the reality being a dream only stems from your experience of a dream you had . A dream that are images created with no real substance . Images that manifest while you are conscious of being awake, but just don't remember .

This is the basis for the so called realisation that this world is a dream .

If you hadn't experienced the so called dream you would never suggest this world is a dream .

It's not the realisation that life is a dream is it .

All that happens is one associates what they are to a dream had .

x daz x
Old 31-10-2021, 09:45 AM
Master
Quote:
QUOTE 80 EXCERPT:

So whom or what is this Ramana? What is it that speaks? Is there anything that speaks? Is there no-one there that speaks? Is it just an ego dream appearance?

What does that means to you, when one dreamy ego appearance gets put on a pedestal by another dreamy ego appearance.

Where do you draw the line from what is truth and what isn't when the foundation doesn't entertain or facilitate what is being presented as a fact or a truth or an absolute ..

x daz x
Old 31-10-2021, 01:13 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
One must be able to shift between the two.
We are already the two that is one, the one that is two.

I've never understood the reason Spiritual people use the word 'ego', and especially since it's a word from psychology and talking of the ego 'technically' is psychoanalysis. Unless what they're doing is to make ancient religion/philosophy more mainstream, but the result of that is only confusion because 'ego' is already a translation of Eastern language and culture into Western-speak. Also, the popular understanding of the ego is not the understanding of the ego itself, people mistake its 'contents' for the ego and that's where the Spiritual understanding also goes sideways. People aren't talking about the ego, what they are talking about is its 'contents'.

How our own egos 'operate' and that the words we use are reflections of our consciousness is a basic part of Self Awareness. Like the word 'little', for instance. That implies a hierarchy and something is 'bigger' than the ego and so is more important. The ego differentiates and attaches importance because one's ego is seeking status. And that's not a criticism, by the way. Ego is also 'responsible' for our sense of time, us being Spiritual and Duality amongst many other things.

The ego does not create separation, the ego is differentiated consciousness and we learn and come to realisations because of differences or dichotomies. The ego makes a difference between psychology and Spirituality, but actually there is none.

The understanding of the Self within Spirituality is a mess, frankly, and that doesn't help. The self is another word from psychology that has been redefined so that people can dissociate with their false definitions of the ego and associate with their false definitions of self. No, it doesn't make sense, does it?

Jung based his model of the ego on the Ahamkara and his model of the self on the Atman. If you Google Citta/Chitta you'll find psychology in Sanskrit.

The ego is "A sense of I am" according to Jung and is the 'sum total' of our individual perceptual reality. It gives us a perceptual point of reference from which to have a perspective and provides an interface between internal and external realities. 'Ego' is Latin for 'I'.

In Ahamkara, Aham is Sanskrit for 'I' and a kara is an 'invented thing'. Ahamkara is "The 'I' of invented things," the 'things' of perceptual/relative reality that are created. Like beliefs and how we perceive ourselves. Time, Duality...

So really, ego and Ahamkara are one and the same and both are differentiated consciousness.

The unconscious or roughly Chitta/Citta, etc. provides the 'framework' for our perceptual/relative realities.

The self has no sense of self of its own, and it's this understanding that opens up the understanding for us being Atman and by extension Brahman. The self 'contains' both the unconscious and its 'contents' and the conscious and its 'contents', and the sense of self comes from the ego and not the self.

There was a documentary of Life in a monastery that put it all into perspective, and here's what the ideology doesn't tell you. There was a group of monks who has successfully, transcended their egos, the only problem was that they needed to be spoon-fed and their nappies changed. As to whether they could experience a perception of "I am transcendent of my ego," since the sense of it comes from the ego.... In severe trauma the ego 'collapses' into the self and it leaves the person floating around in their own skulls like a spaceman with no sense of up or left.

The importance or not of the ego is ego and the ego attaches importance because an individual ego can seek status. Most people's "Sense of I am" is important to them, along with their beliefs, knowledge and everything they think makes them who and what they perceive themselves to be.

The ego remains and regardless of how the 'contents' of one's ego changes there is still 'I am'. Even in dissolution there is still a singularity of consciousness, but the understanding is that it's the 'contents' that are 'dissolved' and not the ego itself.

Th self 'contains' both the unconscious and its contents, and the ego and its 'contents'. It is undifferentiated consciousness and has solved the paradox between differentiated and undifferentiated consciousness by not creating one in the first place. Duality is the mind's inability to do the same. That is the consciousness of the self/Atman. The self is both Absolute and relative reality.

With respect to your Sufi Mystic and having come from the understanding of a trainer/assessor by trade, sometimes a popularised and 'truncated' understanding is what is needed at that time.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:25 PM
Master
QUOTE 87 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
So whom or what is this Ramana? What is it that speaks? Is there anything that speaks? Is there no-one there that speaks?

Your questions suggest that you are indeed very familiar with Ramana and his line of questioning ( ) so we can go one step further.

Ramana has spoken about the legendary Dakshinamurti Shiva who taught in complete and utter silence to his four disciples. When asked about the meaning of teaching in silence, Ramana responded that there is actually nothing to learn, discuss, or conclude.

Hence, the silence ... and hence my response.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:30 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Ramana has spoken about the legendary Dakshinamurti Shiva who taught in complete and utter silence to his four disciples. When asked about the meaning of teaching in silence, Ramana responded that there is actually nothing to learn, discuss, or conclude.
From the Mandukya Karika verse 2.32. https://shiningworld.com/wp-content/...kya_karika.pdf

There is no dissolution, no
origination, none in bondage, none
possessed of the means of liberation,
none desirous of liberation, and none
liberated. This is the ultimate truth.