Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 03-09-2021, 07:22 AM
Eelco

Thank you,
I'm not particularly frowning on siddhi's.

I take it your walking meditations are not the "formal" to and fro. But take the shape of a long hike?
Old 04-09-2021, 01:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
It is the 'World' of Siddhi, the realm of the Supernatural where you can expect anything to happen. To some, Siddhi is frowned upon and looked down upon but if you ever experience it, you will want to 'return'.

I've been exposed to the "World of Siddhi" but, unlike yourself, there is no urge "to return" as it is a distraction that can easily reinforce one's little separatist ego. One accepts what manifests but does not get attached to the distractions.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:44 PM
Ascender
Quote:
One time I was up in the mountains and the sun set. It was dark, I could not see the trail. What was I to do.......
The trail lite up with a purple light and I was able to get down from the mountain.
Excellent!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
One accepts what manifests but does not get attached to the distractions.
I would agree with BigJohn on that one. It creates emotions, a lot. It's like being alive, really alive. Feeling touching the essence of what we are.

To my understanding, it's not Siddhis themselves that are frowned upon, but purposely practicing or developing Siddhis, especially with other people or to grow the ego.

Then as long as you don't play with fire, there is no problem at all.
I mean ... if you play with Nature and Nature has other things to do or doesn't like it, you'll be notified very quickly.
If you're too focused and ignored the warnings ... well, Nature warned you!
Old 04-09-2021, 04:01 PM
Master
Exclamation

"Play with fire"?

Got an e-mail today that originated in the UK. A group is offering classes on how to become a Firewalk Instructor. There is also going to be classes held in Spain on the same subject.

Firewalking, as far as I am concerned, is just another Siddhi.
From what I have personally seen, people do firewalking to show that they can overcome some obstacles which leads them to the next question, "What else can I do?"

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:06 PM
Ascender
Quote:
"Play with fire"?
Well, yes, I meant the figurative expression "playing with fire" (with Siddhis), doing things that could be dangerous to you or life around you.
I had no specific example in mind, and I don't want to give any bad idea to anyone!
Old 05-09-2021, 01:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
To my understanding, it's not Siddhis themselves that are frowned upon, but purposely practicing or developing Siddhis, especially with other people or to grow the ego.
Yep. Pretty simple really. There's risks with fascinations, cravings and all that ego, so 'special abilities' are fine, but so what?
Old 05-09-2021, 03:12 AM
Master
If you said that to a Buddhist warrior monk...... he might have an answer you might find interesting.

A Shaolin Monastery Monk might tell you how they have to walk the monkey stick along with reciting sutras before they can become a monk. And then you find out they have mastered the art of not feeling pain.

Sure, Firewalking is not for everyone, but for those who have mastered it, it gives them confidence that there probably are other things they can master if they so desire.

When Jesus spoke about we can do things he did and more, was he not expounding on learning Siddhis?

What Moses practiced, did that not that resonate with Siddhis?

Doing an 'instant healing', is that not a Siddhi?
And why should people frown upon that?

If the lights are off and it is pitch dark, would it not be nice to be able to see in the darkness?

If in front of you is a body of quicksand, would it be nice if you could cross the quicksand and not sink?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:26 AM
Master

never mind

Last edited by FallingLeaves : 05-09-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:38 AM
Master
Your last sentence is so true: "it is a matter of, if you are going to buy what you are told by group-think you aren't going to be able to buy 'miraculous' control over any part of physical reality. Or even be able to believe it is something worth having."

Hard to find a belief system that believes it is "wrong" for a person to have superhuman strength so as to be able to do such feats as lifting a car so as to get an injured person out from under a vehicle. It appears that many on SpiritualForums have had similar experiences.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:19 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Hard to find a belief system that believes it is "wrong" for a person to have superhuman strength so as to be able to do such feats as lifting a car so as to get an injured person out from under a vehicle.
I don't think in Buddhism Siddhi are seen as wrong. In fact, several volumes of commentaries have been written about the siddhi's and how to get there.
It is my understanding that most of the warnings are more recent additions. One can only assume as to why. The Buddha doesn't say they're wrong. In fact, in some sutta's he praises some of his disciples that mastered them. And tells new monks that were inclined or interested in siddhi to talk to the noble ones that mastered them. Like I said the Visuddhimaga gives an in depth way to get to the siddhi.

https://www.bps.lk/olib/bp/bp207h_Th...ddhimagga).pdf