Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Faeries, Elementals, Nature Spirits, & Woodland Creatures

Old 09-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVirgoxoxo
What a wonderful thread! Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge! I'm wondering though why this was placed in the faeres, elementals, nature spirits & woodland creatures section though? Does it have something to do with them?
White Shaman, does the bird the feather came from symbolize something?

Hi lady,
If you are referring to the Great Horned owl feathere story I just told on another thread...yes very much so. She is my power animal and there is an amazing story that goes with why I say that.
Blessings, james
Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Master
Magpies And Superstition
Of all birds it is probably the magpie that is most associated with superstitions. However, most superstitions regarding magpies are based around just one bird. Throughout Britain it is thought to be unlucky to see a lone magpie and there are a number of beliefs about what you should do to prevent bad luck.

In most parts of the UK it is believed that you should salute the single magpie and say “Good morning Mr Magpie. How is your lady wife today?” By acknowledging the magpie in this way you are showing him proper respect in the hope that it will not pass bad fortune on to you. You are also implying that there are two magpies, which bring joy rather than sorrow according to the popular rhyme.

In Yorkshire magpies are associated with witchcraft and you should make a sign of the cross to ward off evil. And in Scotland a single magpie seen near the window of a house is a sign of impending death, possibly because magpies are believed to carry a drop of the devil’s blood on his tongue or in another legend because he was the only bird that didn’t sing or comfort Jesus when he was crucified.

Other things you can do to prevent the bad luck a lone magpie may bring include doffing your hat, spitting three times over your shoulder or even flapping your arms like wings and cawing to imitate the magpie's missing mate.

As the well known rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for joy, Three for a girl, Four for a boy, Five for silver, Six for gold, Seven for a secret never to be told." shows it is only seeing a lone magpie that brings bad luck and groups of magpies are said to predict the future. There are many different versions of this rhyme with some counting as high as 20 birds.

Like many other birds magpies mate for life and this may be the inspiration for this rhyme. And in some parts of the world magpies are not associated with bad luck at all. In Korea a popular magpie superstition has people believing that that the magpie can foretell when they will have visitors in the future. In China it is believed that the magpie’s song will bring happiness and good luck and in some parts of China the magpie is considered a sacred bird.

Although it is not known why magpies have become associated with bad luck magpies are members of the crow family and like all crows have a reputation for liking shiny objects and have the reputation of stealing jewellery. Rossini wrote a tragicomic opera entitled La Gazza Ladra (The Thieving Magpie) about a French girl accused of theft who is tried, convicted and executed. Later the true culprit is revealed to be a magpie and in remorse the town organises an annual 'Mass Of The Magpies' to pray for the girl's soul.

Another reason for humans disliking magpies is that during breeding season they will sometimes supplement their diet of grubs, berries and carrion with eggs and baby birds. They have also been known to kill small pets such as guinea pigs. Studies have shown that magpies raiding nests have no effect on the populations of songbirds or game birds.

Raven superstitions - speakers of truth and bad omens
At Halloween time scary decorations pop up all over homes, schools, and businesses. And on those chilly autumn evenings, a raven flying to its roost high in the trees takes on an extra creepiness. As eaters of carrion, ravens have traditionally been regarded with dread and associated with death and disease. They are actually very intelligent birds that care for each other, but the knowing gleam in their eyes has only added to the superstitions attributed to them because ravens seem to look at you with evil intent or at the very least an expectation of doom.

In Norse mythology Odin held the raven to be a sacred bird. Two ravens, Hugin and Munin, attended him and flew around the world every day and reported back to Odin every night.
Irish folklore considers ravens to be the messengers of the gods. What a raven states is considered to be confirmed as truth.
In the Wales and Cornwall, folk beliefs hold that King Arthur lives on in the form of a raven and that ravens should never be killed.
Because of the strong reverence for ravens in Norse traditions, the birds often appeared on the banners of marauding Norsemen in the ninth and tenth centuries, which surely added to the fearful aspect of ravens.
To hear a raven croaking to the left of you is a bad omen.
Again in Wales, a belief existed that a blind person who was kind to a raven would be cured of blindness. The connection may have arisen because ravens will eat the eyes of the dead and supposedly gain superior powers of sight.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Master
I have studied and applied the concepts in my life within what is called “crow augury”.
I found the teachings to be very real and magical. So much more than “old wives tales”
The direction a crow is seen by you and the number of crows both have very specific handed down meanings that seemed to be spot on as they happened in my life.
It got to a point where I couldn’t just let the crows that flew over my head simply be a number of crows flying over my head…………..lol
Sometimes that’s all it is………..lol
Old 09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Master
Every morning when I walk down for my morning paper I am treated with disdain by a "gang" of magpie - most humbling that
Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Ascender

Quote:
When you find a feather, try and remember what you were thinking right before you found it............

I was reffering to that
Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVirgoxoxo
I was reffering to that

OK thanks.
So my answer then would be yes the bird feather type can mean something but when it happens and you find yourself simply remembering the thought that was there when you found the feather, it usually isn't signficant beyond it being a feather which signifies a message from the heavens so to speak.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Ascender

Oooh okay cool thanks
Old 27-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Administrator
Hello

In the Bible there are the "Four Horsemen" Very powerful symbolism.

The first Chariot was that of White Horses, the Second that Red Horse, the Third Black Horses and the last the fourth was that of Pale Horses. (Some go to Green).

When the Lord was asked on what they be and Angle replied that the Horses be Spirits from the Heavens. What are they well it is said four Spirits that move back and forth across the Earth.

What do the Horses represent? And who be upon them. The first the White Horse has a rider that be with a bow and crown in his hand. This one is Conquering.

The second one be the Red Horse, has a rider in his hand be a great sword. This one is that man shall kill man.

The third one be the Black Horse, as a rider in his hand be a scale that be used to measure in wheat for breads. His role is to take from man food.

The fourth one be the Pale Horse, has a rider in his hand be a seethe, and his name was Death. His role was to take from the Earth man himself.

Lynn