Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 21-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Master
The Force exists and is real

Here is a book called The Field: The Quest for the Secret Force of the Universe

by Lynne McTaggart.

Quote:
In this groundbreaking classic, investigative journalist Lynne McTaggart reveals a radical new paradigm—that the human mind and body are not separate from their environment but a packet of pulsating power constantly interacting with this vast energy sea, and that consciousness may be central in shaping our world. The Field is a highly readable scientific detective story presenting a stunning picture of an interconnected universe and a new scientific theory that makes sense of supernatural phenomena. Documented by distinguished sources, The Field is a book of hope and inspiration for today's world.

The book can be found at amazon.com

We all heard the famous star wars phrases

"may the force be with you"
"use the force"
"the force is strong with this one"

Well, according to the author, the Force is real and she tries to show that scientists agree.

We spiritual folk already know this, but it's nice to see that science does confirm this.

Old 21-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Master
Excellent book. I learned a lot about quantum physics in terms I could understand.

Xan

Old 21-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Deactivated Account
Yes I'll second that. Great book.
Old 22-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Mathew

G'day Oneness

I could lie & say it was a great book but I won't......Everything about spirituality is a natural part of us it's just we have forgotten about it like the force & that is why science is starting to rediscover a lot of what spirituality is about, it's not hoogly-boogly stuff after all only the stuff that are lies to gain from in some way.

Love
Mathew
Old 22-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Master
I agree with you Matthew
Old 22-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Henri77

Yoda said it first.
Evidently some folks were sleeping in class?

Don't mean to disrupt your topic, sorry.... no doubt she feels this is important news.
Old 22-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Master
She? ............

Old 23-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Search

Sounds interesting. I have an open mind with such things, however am careful not to get wound up wishing things to be true as I am sure many of you might understand.

Here is the last line in one persons Low rating review of this book:

Well, it is interesting, but just keep in mind that it’s still pseudoscience, and quite biased.

and here is what he has to say:

seemed promising and interesting to me at first glance because of author Lynne McTaggart’s angle. She tries to show that certain questionable topics, such as the linking of quantum physics to a somewhat New Age-ish idea that every single thing in the universe is connected, can actually be shown to be true via proper scientific research (double-blind, other researchers replicating the methods and getting the same results, etc.). The hypothesis in this case: the existence of the Zero Point Field. “Now that sounds interesting!” I thought while picking this up, as I’ve read many pseudoscience books over the years, and though moved and/or interested by the claims they were making, I’d never be able to take them seriously because of the lack of proper scientific methods.

But now the question is – is this book by McTaggart really the one to show, with irrefutable evidence, that the Zero Point Field exists? That every single thing in this universe is connected by it, and that it is this particular field that can explain several discrepancies in quantum theory/physics, and/or parapsychological phenomena?

Err, no. The first big mistake that McTaggart makes, is not treating the Zero Point Field as an hypothesis at all. Instead of testing the Zero Point Field hypothesis, her approach is rather different: looking up scientific research in which results turned up that can’t be fully explained or simply haven’t yet, and then saying something among the lines of: “Well, look here! Those results (or gaps/discrepancies) can be explained completely and utterly by the existence of the Zero Point Field, because… [followed by explanations concerning the current topic]”. And because the Zero Point Field is the supposed perfect answer, it exists. That is the crux of McTaggart’s reasoning, and there’s definitely something terribly wrong with that, even from a non-scientific point of view.

And this approach of hers is such a pity, because the research she references is actually quite interesting, and her explanations of quantum theory are clear and easy to understand. She poses critical questions, especially from a philosophical point of view, and I do think that there’s merit in researching both the Zero Point Field and quantum physics, looking for a possible connection. However, the Field is presented as a fact here, which it isn’t, and McTaggart is almost smug in the way she thinks she’s disproving inherent parts of (quantum) physics, which she isn’t. This is my main problem with this book, simply because I think her ideas, theories, philosophical questions, and the scientific research she presents are interesting and definitely worth a look at, so I saw a lot of promise in this work. However, it didn’t really deliver.

Another thing that really bothered me, but might perhaps not be so offensive to others, is McTaggart’s dismissal and inaccurate portrayal of the theory of natural selection. She incorrectly assumes much in her prologue, and even goes so far as to say that both Darwinism and the Newtonian paradigm have completely depleted our self-image and world views, because all we’re doing here is ‘survival of the fittest’, and treating ourselves and those around us as machines. Well, excuse me, but natural selection is not at all completely about ‘survival of the fittest’, and it certainly doesn’t rule out human emotions, empathy, and altruism (i.e. the theory of natural selection doesn’t invalidate my life and/or emotions because I’m simply a ‘gene machine’, for example).

Long story short: though I like McTaggart’s core ideas, and admire her journalistic perseverance in gathering such a large amount of knowledge and research, this book simply isn’t truly scientific. So would I recommend this? Well, it is interesting, but just keep in mind that it’s still pseudoscience, and quite biased.

I just downloaded the mp3s ... having a hard time finding a trust worthing download link that does not require ** sign ups ... I will rip a mobi file or find a pdf soon enough.........

Thanks for the steer ........ No rushing in for me
Old 23-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Master
To be honest, i don't take much stock in what people say, when they brand things, as pseudo-science. Proponents of science have a very narrow minded way of looking at things. Outside of their spectrum, is always branded as pseudo-science.

The best possible reference for the existence of the force, are the religious texts, myths and legends of the world, and the ancient history of the earth translated from the clay tablets found in Mesopotamia amongst, other places.

I always say, if there's a theory. Test it yourself. No need to have science confirm it.
Old 23-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Search
Sounds interesting. I have an open mind with such things, however am careful not to get wound up wishing things to be true as I am sure many of you might understand.

Here is the last line in one persons Low rating review of this book:

Well, it is interesting, but just keep in mind that it’s still pseudoscience, and quite biased.

and here is what he has to say:

seemed promising and interesting to me at first glance because of author Lynne McTaggart’s angle. She tries to show that certain questionable topics, such as the linking of quantum physics to a somewhat New Age-ish idea that every single thing in the universe is connected, can actually be shown to be true via proper scientific research (double-blind, other researchers replicating the methods and getting the same results, etc.). The hypothesis in this case: the existence of the Zero Point Field. “Now that sounds interesting!” I thought while picking this up, as I’ve read many pseudoscience books over the years, and though moved and/or interested by the claims they were making, I’d never be able to take them seriously because of the lack of proper scientific methods.

But now the question is – is this book by McTaggart really the one to show, with irrefutable evidence, that the Zero Point Field exists? That every single thing in this universe is connected by it, and that it is this particular field that can explain several discrepancies in quantum theory/physics, and/or parapsychological phenomena?

Err, no. The first big mistake that McTaggart makes, is not treating the Zero Point Field as an hypothesis at all. Instead of testing the Zero Point Field hypothesis, her approach is rather different: looking up scientific research in which results turned up that can’t be fully explained or simply haven’t yet, and then saying something among the lines of: “Well, look here! Those results (or gaps/discrepancies) can be explained completely and utterly by the existence of the Zero Point Field, because… [followed by explanations concerning the current topic]”. And because the Zero Point Field is the supposed perfect answer, it exists. That is the crux of McTaggart’s reasoning, and there’s definitely something terribly wrong with that, even from a non-scientific point of view.

And this approach of hers is such a pity, because the research she references is actually quite interesting, and her explanations of quantum theory are clear and easy to understand. She poses critical questions, especially from a philosophical point of view, and I do think that there’s merit in researching both the Zero Point Field and quantum physics, looking for a possible connection. However, the Field is presented as a fact here, which it isn’t, and McTaggart is almost smug in the way she thinks she’s disproving inherent parts of (quantum) physics, which she isn’t. This is my main problem with this book, simply because I think her ideas, theories, philosophical questions, and the scientific research she presents are interesting and definitely worth a look at, so I saw a lot of promise in this work. However, it didn’t really deliver.

Another thing that really bothered me, but might perhaps not be so offensive to others, is McTaggart’s dismissal and inaccurate portrayal of the theory of natural selection. She incorrectly assumes much in her prologue, and even goes so far as to say that both Darwinism and the Newtonian paradigm have completely depleted our self-image and world views, because all we’re doing here is ‘survival of the fittest’, and treating ourselves and those around us as machines. Well, excuse me, but natural selection is not at all completely about ‘survival of the fittest’, and it certainly doesn’t rule out human emotions, empathy, and altruism (i.e. the theory of natural selection doesn’t invalidate my life and/or emotions because I’m simply a ‘gene machine’, for example).

Long story short: though I like McTaggart’s core ideas, and admire her journalistic perseverance in gathering such a large amount of knowledge and research, this book simply isn’t truly scientific. So would I recommend this? Well, it is interesting, but just keep in mind that it’s still pseudoscience, and quite biased.

I just downloaded the mp3s ... having a hard time finding a trust worthing download link that does not require ** sign ups ... I will rip a mobi file or find a pdf soon enough.........

Thanks for the steer ........ No rushing in for me

It a great post ^