Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Donna Mai

Bad mediums & spiritualist churches

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I'm just going to come right out and say it: I really loathe these cold-reading mediums (or “mediums”) who aren't channelling anything but their own egos – or at best, w$nking a weak link that they take a hint from and make up the rest.

(I apologise in advance for the length of this post. I'll give it a few headlines to break it up)

Spiritualist church
My partner and I went to a a number of spiritualist churches earlier this year, out of interest and curiousity. I was open-minded, ready to be wowed, etc. The first one we went to there were maybe a dozen people present, so the chance of actually getting a reading was pretty good. She did the rounds and came to pretty much everyone. It was all grandparents for an hour. Parents to one lady who was clearly in her 80s, so it was fairly safe to presume her parents were in spirit. The medium said, "I love grandparents, they're so cosy."

Indeed. Also, fairly unimpressive. To me it just seemed like she got something of a link, but didn’t work it. She managed to get maybe one or two things for each person, although she was hovering over them for about 5 minutes or more. And it was things that was so general that everything that was said could have easily meant something to both me and my partner. I call that cold reading. A cosy, nice, warm, chatty grandmother and a quiet, nodding grandfather who let her do the talking. Who can't relate to that, generally?

So, then she came to me. I tried to be as forthcoming and open as I could, although I was the 2nd to last reading of the night.
"There's a lady here, who you were very close to on the earth plane."
Oh yes, this was clearly the indication of another grandmother figure.
I said "OK".
"You used to be very close to her, and sit next to her on a stool as she was knitting, and you would have good conversations."
Again, I said "OK…" probably sounding a little less convinced.
"She's a lovely, warm character."
Again: "OK…"
She stopped and went, "Can you take any of this?"
I thought of being polite, but ended up saying, "Not really sure…"
She rounded off by saying I was overdue for a dental appointment, that the lady was sending her love and off she went to the last reading of the day, on the other side of the room, as far away from me as possible.

The crowd broke up pretty quickly after the last reading. The medium was out the door even quicker. I don’t think anyone was particularly convinced.

(Nevermind the circle at another spiritualist church that we attempted. Oh my God, it was like a scene out of a comedy book! But that's for another post...!)

Anyway, this wasn't the first time I've encountered a cr$p medium...

"Forget about him and move on"
Another example is a medium visited on a tour, and it was pretty much the same scenario as the one above. Few people, everyone got something. Me too. It went something like this:

- Is your mother still with us?
- Yes.
- Is your father still with us?
- No.
- Your father is with you, and he’s around your mother a lot. They were very close and she misses him a lot.
- OK…
- Your grandmother is in spirit?
- Yes.
- She’s a lovely woman, so warm and caring, she and your mother were very close, and they still are.
- OK…
- You yourself have always been one in the crowd, didn't stick out really, until recently when you've come out of your shell.
- Uhm…

I've never been a "sheep". Anyone who knows me will tell you that much. But even after this, which was a complete dud (will explain later why), I had already booked a reading with her. A one to one. Maybe she'd had a bad link that day, right?

The first thing she said when I walked into the private reading was, "Forget about him and move on!" I was a bit startled, and asked, "Forget about who, exactly?" She brushed me off and said I should know that. OK, fairly cryptic, then. She said I had "a lovely sister of mercy", "an Indian" and "an Asian" with me as guides. Great, I thought, all that's missing in that line-up is someone from Atlantis... I asked if I could ask questions, she said yes. So I did. She asked me questions back, fishing for information. When I wasn't satisfied with that, saying something like, "shouldn't you tell me?" she said, "You ask a lot about the past. Forget about that." A lot of forgetting to be done, clearly. Sometimes you want answers before moving on, but she was more interested in giving me future dates that would be "important" and to forget about people.

Afterwards, I was meeting with a friend who had had a reading with this medium the previous year. When I said what her intro had been, her jaw dropped. "WHAT!? That's what she told me too!!! I'd had a fight with my husband but didn't think it had been that bad!" When I asked which guides she had been getting, take a wild guess which three she'd got listed up as well. Another example of cr$p mediumship. Or rather, cold reading.

Why the readings were wrong
Both these medium clearly looked at my age and sussed out that a dead grandmother would be a good bet.

Most grandmothers might be these cuddly things with a great relationship with their grandchildren, but I can honestly say that the relationship between myself and my grandmother was - at best - strained. She didn't want anything to do with me, really. She didn't want to be alone with me because I was a kid, which made her uncomfortable. When I came to visit she would make sure I went out in the back yard and played there. Overlooked by her from the 4th floor. She and my mother had had the same relationship but worse. My mother felt she was living with a tyrant, a control freak and when she went there was no huge grief. They sure as hell wouldn't be hanging out now chatting away, as one of them suggested.

Besides, my mother and my father had been divorced for years when he died, they hadn't spoken for years because the last six years of his life had been rather… well, let's just say it turned him into someone else we didn't recognise. Sure, it was a feeling of loss for her then, but she was well over him – for reasons I won't get into here.

To round off - finally ;)
There are many good, honest mediums out there. Even bad mediums with good intentions. I have to admit, very few make my jaw drop. I've met a few that have blown me away, but being a working medium should have some sort of minimum requirements, really. I've seen mediums encouraging people to commit suicide because they can't cope with the world, and then blame spirit for making them say it. Honestly, some things just aren't on.

Would like to hear other people's experiences with this stuff...?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Knower

I have been to spiritualist churches, I have had good and bad experience with psychics etc. I understand what your saying about sometimes about the readings being general and sometime sit can appear that the mediums giving the readings give them to regular church goers they know really well and know about events that have occurred in their lives etc.

I feel that sometimes people with the gift can feel under pressure to preform and may use underhand methods and also people without the gift pretend they have it( but we all have the gift on some level.......) so i just think their are alot of factors that cause the disparities.

I feel the spiritualist church has its place along with all things to help us on our paths ( as we are all doing what we are meant to be doing at the time in my viewpoint) and for us to come into our own which is what I feel each individual soul is meant to do.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Donna Mai

At one of the churches we went to, we had "auntie Margaret" who knew everyone by name, clearly was the village guru that paid close attention to what everyone did. She acted more like a social worker ("come on, tell auntie Margaret") than a medium. If a medium goes, "Yes, Shirl, what can I do for ya?" - then it doesn't take a genius to see that what she's about to say isn't going to shock the hell out of Shirl or anyone else.

What I feel about spiritualist churches is that they're preaching to the converted, if you know what I mean. The standard we experienced in the months we went every week (as an experiment) was very poor. In our travels we ran into two mediums that got anything of relevance. One wasn't even a working medium, but he caught me on my way out of the church and in one sentence of information made me gawk.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Serenity Bear

Iv seen plenty of bad mediums and a few excellent mediums. Im afraid many mediums on the platform should not be there, or should still be in the fledgling arena.

Iv seen one visiting 'President' of another church ask how someone was at sex in bed, and later discussed his false teeth. Iv seen a guy who was just starting out struggle for half an hour trying to get the message to fit and so on.

A lot of the drival we see Im afraid is due to the bad or non-exsistent training some get. Its mostly caused by some who believe if you were born a medium (as I was too) that you dont need any form of training for the platform. This I feel is totally wrong and you do need training, with a very good disciplined teacher. Soft teachers and shilly shalling hocus pocus that can occur from some 'fluffies' that causes this lack of standard.

Iv had the privalege of seeing one of the best mediums (I feel) in the Uk, called Albert Best. He was a totally outstanding medium, a great teacher, and it was a great loss to the Spiritualist movement when he passed away.

I would still keep going to church and find the real workers out there. Iv found they are pretty easy to spot from - they usually come well dressed unlike some who have turned up in T-shirt and jeans.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Knower

well when i visited my nan after going to a spiritualist church. I had not seen her in a while , she asked me what do i believe in now religiously, i was like oh i am a spiritualist now I go to spiritualist church ( that's when i did go). My nan was like well they are still Christians. ( not like there is anything wrong with that- each to their own ).But it got me thinking....

I am just saying to illustrate your point re the preaching to the converted. I think its very important on this path not to get to rigid to one thing, to be open to all possibilities in some sense.

After all its what starts most people of, i thought at the start there's more to life than this, and then i started to see alot of possibilities, and to be spiritual is all about an endless journey and to find one thing and stick to it rigidly is limiting yourself to what is out there in the universe. In my viewpoint.

ps nothing like a jaw dropping reading just reaffirms it all.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Donna Mai

Speaking of what you say, stillwater, regarding spiritualists being Christians. I'm just going to ask, because this is something I sincerely wonder about:

What is it with the "hymns" they sing at these spiritualist churches?

It seriously makes me cringe. I've had to sit through, amongst others, "I am sailing" with a horrid organ arrangement and re-written lyrics to make them sound more... spiritual. "Any dream will do"(!). The worst, by far, was fifteen re-written verses of "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony"...

Sure, let's sing a song to raise the energy and then have a silence so the medium can get connected, but please stop the a) lame re-writes, b) organ arrangements and c) repeat with 2-3-4 songs. I'm aware that Spirituality is regarded as a religion, but let's not necessarily strive to do what the Christians do every Sunday. Please. If I wanted all that, I'd go to a Christian ceremony in a church – not come to see a medium demonstration in the village hall or community centre.

(OK, rant over ;) )
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Knower

I am honest i had to so may roommate that, as that was her quibble re the hymns when i dragged her along.....i understand you :) nice rant. But yes the spiritualist church is especially SNU ones dont know if your in the uk. Are Christian in foundations.( again to explain the hymn aspect only not syaing this is wrong etc)
Also most dont pertain to fortune telling thats why it is alot of just connections with dead relatives etc, so if your seeking a fortune telling aspect then you usually dont get that with their readings.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Donna Mai

I was in the UK at the time of this going on, yes.

I'm not against dead relatives. By all means. I'd expect dead relatives and dead friends. Trouble is when all the relatives are over 80. It makes it look like there are only dead grandparents that are interested in talking to their relatives. 9 out of 10 times it's grandma or grandpa. Mainly, I feel, because it's the safest bet.

What about guides? Mediums should be able to channel messages from guides as well as from friends/family. I've encountered a few that do that (not inside a spiritual church, mind), but I don't know if that's a no-no in the spiritualist churches?

Out of curiousity - what do you prefer?
1) The medium getting a spirit and spending a while to find out who the message is for?
2) Audience members raising their hand to ask questions, and that way trying to get a link?
3) The medium going to an audience member with "I've got someone here for you" and taking it from there?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Knower

erm a cross between 1,2,3 its the indecisive Gemini in me :)
Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Donna Mai

Haha! What I can say is that I'm not really a big fan of the "I have a grandmother figure here, maybe an uncle, with a name that begins with F or J but could also be an A. Any takers?" method.