Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 07-05-2023, 04:04 PM
Seeker

I tend to agree that helping can be really good therapy, and if there is chaos around the helping, that’s a signal for some deep self-reflection. Digging out beliefs (conscious and unconscious) that clash with what occurs in one’s life can be a rich source of growth. But the process can also be disruptive and difficult, so I have empathy for wanting the experiences to just stop.

I’m curious about the statement “At best, Spirituality is a placebo.” The physical and nonphysical elements of our existence are so intertwined, isn’t using everything at our disposal to work with trauma helpful? Just wondering how spirituality can (or if it even should) be separated from the healing process, or if a complete mind-body-spirit approach is needed.

There are several schools of thought on how and why some of us see/hear spirits and if they stick around out of love or comfort or confusion or mischief or harm. Maybe all of the above, and what “type” we attract is what we need for our own evolution. Dunno, maybe I've just read too much Jung
Old 08-05-2023, 08:57 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncestralEchoes
Digging out beliefs (conscious and unconscious) that clash with what occurs in one’s life can be a rich source of growth. But the process can also be disruptive and difficult, so I have empathy for wanting the experiences to just stop.
Where does the clash come from in the first place? If there is a disharmony between what occurs and how we think things should be, what creates that dissonance? Often what we think we need isn't what we really need and often what we think we need to heal ourselves doesn't heal us. So going back to what I mentioned in the post, often healing or helping others is a good way to heal or help ourselves and that has been proven true time and again. The need to heal might not be so optional, but how that healing occurs is.

You don't experience events, what you actually experience is your response to those events. Events don't have any inherent meaning in themselves until you believe that it was a positive or negative experience - or whatever else it was. If the event was disruptive then that's your creation - it's one of the understanding as to how our realities are created. For me or someone else, it might well have been perceived as a welcome break or distraction that gives our minds a vacation. Similarly if the experience is disruptive and difficult, whereas helping someone else might have been perceived as as much of a valid healing method as any Spiritual practice.

What are the non-physical elements of our existence though? Obviously Spirituality is one of those elements but it's not the only one, we have a psychological framework that has more to do with our Spirituality than anything else yet it's largely ignored. "Know thy self" is the catchphrase that appears, but in a thread of "What is the self?" what would that /self consist of? I've seen thread after Spiritual thread on the subjects of self and ego yet very few have realised that neither the self nor the ego actually exist.

So if neither the self nor the ego exist, who/what needs healing and how did the need for healing come about in the first place? Who/what finds the distractions disruptive and difficult and who/what exists to be Spiritual?

To keep it very simple, the need for healing is created by our underpinning psychology. It also underpins our Spirituality, by the way and the ancients were very aware of what we in the west call 'psychology'. There's a surprising amount of modern psychology that's based on knowledge and understanding that was written in Sanskrit.

Anything that people do to facilitate healing is Spiritual in my book. I'm a keen photographer and I find that more of a Spiritual experience than frequenting these forums. Any practice that people that genuinely makes them feel better about themselves can at least provide a distraction. But what needs healing was created by the unconscious and the best way to heal that is 'dismantle' the framework that created the need in the first place. What is deliberately ignored can't be healed.

The figures differ depending on the study but as an example, the unconscious accounts for some 85% or so of our total consciousness. There will never be anything close to a "complete approach" because too much is ignored.

I'm an experienced clairsentient medium but don't practice any more, however I still have the knack and still sense. My father is still 'here' but that's his choice, what binds him is the love he has for my mother and I. That was a common theme when I was a practicing medium. Sometimes all that was needed was the thought that people's Loved Ones were still a part of their Lives and not gone. As one of my old colleagues found out when she'd been looking at new curtains. I used to feel those connections and they always used to knock me on my backside. Other Spirits have stuck around because they felt there was something unfinished, like the Spirit who scared the hell out of my friend's son and his friends. They went to his funeral but they never said goodbye in their own way, and everybody was happy when they held a farewell party for him.

Jung based his model of the ego on the Ahamkara/Ahankara, and if you read up on that you'll find it eerily familiar. He based his model of the self on the Atman, and was a well-versed scholar of Advaita Vedanta. I wonder how many threads there has been with the theme of the psychology of Spirituality, since the psychology is a 'translation' based on Spirituality.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:34 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattieHowker
You don't experience events, what you actually experience is your response to those events. Events don't have any inherent meaning in themselves until you believe that it was a positive or negative experience - or whatever else it was. If the event was disruptive then that's your creation - it's one of the understanding as to how our realities are created.
Really helpful reminder that events are inherently meaningless until we label them with our personal perceptions and interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattieHowker
But what needs healing was created by the unconscious and the best way to heal that is 'dismantle' the framework that created the need in the first place. What is deliberately ignored can't be healed.
"Dismantling the framework" of those perceptions is a good way to describe what's needed. Your explanation of the relationship between psychology and spirituality also very useful for further exploration - thank you!
Old 09-05-2023, 06:45 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Really helpful reminder that events are inherently meaningless until we label them with our personal perceptions and interpretations.
It's really not that difficult to understand.

Quote:
"Dismantling the framework" of those perceptions is a good way to describe what's needed. Your explanation of the relationship between psychology and spirituality also very useful for further exploration - thank you!
I was reading an article about the Ahankara one day, I was more interested to find out what was in the 'background'. It took time to plough through but what I found there was psychology in Sanskrit. It's only in the West that the two are separate.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:16 PM
Hi TattieH and iamthat ---pls carry on in PMs. Thanks

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 10-05-2023, 11:37 PM
Master

Isn't this a forum?

Last edited by pixiedust : 11-05-2023 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:32 AM
Master
Even so spirits can not come to me directly, I have sometimes been asked by someone close to an entity in the non-physical realms to help.

I usually ask my angelic friends to help, and if the higher self of the entity agrees, then they help.