Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
That's irrelevant to the question that I asked when I started this Thread...

Sure it is.

If you were in God's shoes. how would you have handled the situation?

Your original question read
Quote:
Why did God condone and order such terrible acts of violence found in the OT? If some believe the Bible to be the ' Word of God ' then you have to believe God was as guilty as the perpetrators or even worse....

In posit #9 you wrote
Quote:
I personally am not upset by any biblical violence etc : I am more puzzled by the discrepancies. As I don't believe the bible is the ' Word of God ' it has no value for me , but I feel sad for people especially the Youth who do believe and suffer because of the abhorrent verses...

But then the Canaanites, which you seem to sympathize with in posit #2, were in opposition to God. The Canaanites loved to worship Baal, instead of God, and believed in child sacrifice.

Would you have allow the child sacrifices to continue?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Sure it is.

Your original question read

In posit #9 you wrote

But then the Canaanites, which you seem to sympathize with in posit #2, were in opposition to God. The Canaanites loved to worship Baal, instead of God, and believed in child sacrifice.

Would you have allow the child sacrifices to continue?

I see no difference in Child Sacrifice to Adult Sacrificing, they are abhorrent for whatever reason.

Jephthah was rewarded by God for Sacrificing His Daughter His only child wasn't He according to Scriptures.....
Old 12-04-2020, 01:54 PM
Master
Quote:
I see no difference in Child Sacrifice to Adult Sacrificing, they are abhorrent for whatever reason.

Jephthah was rewarded by God for Sacrificing His Daughter His only child wasn't He according to Scriptures.....

Once again:

I assume what you are referring to is Judges 11:29-30. Anti-Semitics love this scripture because it can easily be twisted to make Jews look bad. The scripture reads:

29. Then the Spirit of the Lord came on Jephthah. He crossed Gilead and Manasseh, passed through Mizpah of Gilead, and from there he advanced against the Ammonites.
30. And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: “If you give the Ammonites into my hands,
31. whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”

If we pick up the story starting with verse 34, it reads:

34. When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, who should come out to meet him but his daughter, dancing to the sound of timbrels! She was an only child. Except for her he had neither son nor daughter.
35. When he saw her, he tore his clothes and cried, “Oh no, my daughter! You have brought me down and I am devastated. I have made a vow to the Lord that I cannot break.”

36. “My father,” she replied, “you have given your word to the Lord. Do to me just as you promised, now that the Lord has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites.
37. But grant me this one request,” she said. “Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry.”

38. “You may go,” he said. And he let her go for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never marry.
39. After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin.

From this comes the Israelite tradition
40. that each year the young women of Israel go out for four days to commemorate the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite.

Jephthah dedicated her life to become a lifelong Nazirite. In Buddhist predominate countries, similar 'vows' are taken, in certain cases, when people become Buddhists nuns or monks.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 12-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Administrator
Enough is enough this thread is now closed
Closed Thread