Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 03-05-2021, 05:47 AM
Ascender

Thoughts on the history of communicating the understanding of behaviour

Hello.

Such thoughts include the thought that such "insight" has always been available, has always been understood, by some throughout our history---but---the means of communicating such understanding in a manner which could be understood to populations at any particular time and culture has only ever been possible via the pre-existing common parlance of that time and culture. ?

The result being that such understanding has been confined to being able to offer "illustrations" of behavioural cause and consequence rather than than what we may now consider to be "explanations" of behavioural cause and consequence ?

So we see historical references to this understanding in allegories, stories, prophecies, predictions etc.

For our part, for our time, it seems that we are now able to add the understanding of realising the difference between historical " illustrations" and on going "explanations". ??
Old 09-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Master

historical insights

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareunity
Hello.

Such thoughts include the thought that such "insight" has always been available, has always been understood, by some throughout our history---but---the means of communicating such understanding in a manner which could be understood to populations at any particular time and culture has only ever been possible via the pre-existing common parlance of that time and culture. ?
Very true.

Quote:
The result being that such understanding has been confined to being able to offer "illustrations" of behavioural cause and consequence rather than than what we may now consider to be "explanations" of behavioural cause and consequence ?

So we see historical references to this understanding in allegories, stories, prophecies, predictions etc.
For large part , these may been true in historical references to this understanding in allegories, stories, illustrations, examples.

Quote:
For our part, for our time, it seems that we are now able to add the understanding of realising the difference between historical " illustrations" and on going "explanations". ??

Understanding of this is very important for all generations in all countries because if u study all successful cultures / countries / societies / communities / corporations /families / individual , you will find astounding similarities . And knowledge of such traits is very important for any one wanting lead a great life for himself/herself or for others around .
Old 09-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Master

weareunity,

Not sure I understand exactly your point ...

I think it is a mistake to believe that the contemporary man understands more than his predecessors. Besides, there is a distribution of capabilities in the population too.

We might live now through another Dark Ages period, how would we know it? Considering that development is never monotonic, and that mostly everything abides some cycling, after a Renaissance peak some kind of bottom most follow.

The only way to communicate a message through a distorting channel is to code it so that the distortions can be detected, and even better, be corrected. This is why most / all ancient knowledge contains symbolical messages and needs interpreting (decoding). This is why our dreams are overwhelmingly symbolical.

Even better, some of those wisdom troves use multi-layered symbolism, and are to be interpreted at different levels, by each seeker at their own level at any given moment.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:55 PM
Ascender

Hello inavalan.

Thanks for your input. In response:-

Suppose that one of our predecessors in antiquity were to be somehow suddenly confronted with a motor car,--how would they explain it to those at that time who had not see it?

Certainly our amazed predecessor may be able to describe the appearance of the car, and perhaps in accurate detail, perhaps producing a fine drawing/painting, or a beautifully crafted model. In short, they could illustrate it.--and also perhaps use great imagination in proposing how it moved etc.etc.

But--to accurately explain how all the components functioned individually and in connection with each other would--surely?--be beyond their capability---but not because of lack of intelligence, but simply because they had no way of accessing knowledge and explanation as yet not available.

We can say that there are many of us today who would find ourselves unable to give a full explanation, but we do have access to explanation and can refer to it should we wish to do so.

So please be assured that the thoughts expressed in the opening post are in no way related to the judgement of comparative intelligence vis a vis our ancestors and we who live today.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:26 PM
Master

Quote:
Hello inavalan.

Thanks for your input. In response:-...

So please be assured that the thoughts expressed in the opening post are in no way related to the judgement of comparative intelligence vis a vis our ancestors and we who live today.
Do you mind reformulating the point you made in your opening post, summarizing it?
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:56 AM
Ascender

Hello inavalan.

Re your post 5 request.

Post 4 response is my attempt to do so.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:34 PM
AbodhiSky

the biggest problem with understanding "history" is we cannot know all the details of the life and world in which they lived, thus we don't understand them or why they did what they did or even the true meanings in what they may have wrote or said.

everyone has a "point of view" based on their experiences, perceptive, and conditioning and that point of view, which is based on real things, real life as lived, is never known from someone in modern times looking back and trying to understand why certain people did and said what they did.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:43 PM
AbodhiSky

anthropologist's have said, and others who speak several languages have backed this up, that the world is perceived and experienced differently depending on the language we speak. different languages use words very different from each other and represent different commonly understood and commonly not understood realities and knowledge.

like how the Italian language has many words for "love" and English has one. this results in a different perception of the world if we are perceiving through language or conceptual symbolic forms of representative reality.
Old 16-05-2021, 09:59 PM
Ascender

Hello AbodhiSky.

The conclusion which you have shared with us seems well founded and entirely logical imo--and one which is new to me.

It seems ironic (?) that the use of words in a particular language having a nuanced vocabulary can be beneficial in communicating thought/s between those who are familiar with that language, yet possibly leads to misunderstanding when those not familiar with that language try to translate into their own/another language which has a less nuanced vocabulary.

Seems obvious when thought about,--but as with much else it often needs someone else to first identify what subsequently appears obvious--so thanks.
Old 17-05-2021, 10:19 PM
Ascender

Continuing:-

If we are to understand ancient texts it is not only the knowledge of the nuances of vocabulary of the source language that we need to take into consideration.

We also need to understand as much as we are able of the culture and customs prevailing at that time and place.--especially, Imo, when considering references to the the nature of the relationships within families.

One such which comes obviously to mind is the father/son relationship. For that relationship may have characteristics far more complex and defining than a simple biological connection.

We might ask,--to what extent would it have been the accepted norm within that culture for the son to be considered as representative of the father in matters of the fathers "business"?

If this were so, then references to father and son take on a particular significance when viewed with this possibility in mind.