Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 22-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Deactivated Account

Going to Ireland... Need advice...

I'm going to be going to Dublin, Ireland sometime around the end of August and with this being the first time out of the U.S. I was wondering if anyone on here is and has ever been to Dublin? If anyone on here knows the best areas to live (apartments), how to get in touch with foster parents, and/or just where I should go and what I should see while visiting. Please let me know... And thanks in advance!
Old 22-06-2014, 07:31 PM
elisi

i'm confused about the foster parent part. please expound?
Old 22-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Badger1777

Make sure you have a passport, some money (in Euros), and a bag of spare clothes. Oh, and your tickets.

Then enjoy.

Oh, and don't talk politics or religion.

Oh, if you make any friends, be very careful about buying them a drink. They will buy you one back, and its very rude not to drink a drink that's been bought for you. I remember one incident when I was a student. I had a group of Irish friends. I'd buy them drinks if they were a bit skint. Just the odd pint here or there. I wasn't counting. Turns out they were. 5 of the group saw me in the pub one night. I'd already had my fill and was about to go home, but no, they'd remembered how many drinks I'd bought them each, and now they had money. I don't think I could actually see by the time I left. I have no idea who put me in the taxi home. You could have sold my sweat back to the brewery the next day.
Old 22-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
I'm Canadian but live in Ireland, pm me what you want to know n I'll help you out if I can. there r also 2 other members here who like me are in chat most days who are from Ireland. May also be worth you coming n chatting with us that way you get a lot more info.

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 22-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisi
i'm confused about the foster parent part. please expound?

For people going to a different country, they have a system set up where a couple (usually an older couple), who have an extra room or what not and the person coming over stays with them. Complete strangers to each other, but I used to see this in high school and I know of it in college. I could pay, or better yet I could offer my services while attending graduate school. Mow, weed eat, garden, sew, cook, bake, clean, laundry, fix anything with grease and an engine in it :), plumbing, split firewood etc... And many many more things...

I'm just putting my feelers out in the world to see what I catch!
Old 22-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger1777
Make sure you have a passport, some money (in Euros), and a bag of spare clothes. Oh, and your tickets.

Then enjoy.

Oh, and don't talk politics or religion.

Oh, if you make any friends, be very careful about buying them a drink. They will buy you one back, and its very rude not to drink a drink that's been bought for you. I remember one incident when I was a student. I had a group of Irish friends. I'd buy them drinks if they were a bit skint. Just the odd pint here or there. I wasn't counting. Turns out they were. 5 of the group saw me in the pub one night. I'd already had my fill and was about to go home, but no, they'd remembered how many drinks I'd bought them each, and now they had money. I don't think I could actually see by the time I left. I have no idea who put me in the taxi home. You could have sold my sweat back to the brewery the next day.

Ah! That is really good info to know, I will keep track lol... Also heard you don't tip bartenders or waiters??? They get a flat rate? How crazy is that and how crazy is it that America still isn't that way...
Old 22-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoiyi
I'm Canadian but live in Ireland, pm me what you want to know n I'll help you out if I can. there r also 2 other members here who like me are in chat most days who are from Ireland. May also be worth you coming n chatting with us that way you get a lot more info.

Makoiyi

AWESOME! You will most certainly be hearing from me in the next few days! Thank you in advance!!!
Old 22-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
Grand look forwards to it.

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 22-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Badger1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath777
Ah! That is really good info to know, I will keep track lol... Also heard you don't tip bartenders or waiters??? They get a flat rate? How crazy is that and how crazy is it that America still isn't that way...

The general rule of thumb is this.

If you pay up front, you don't tip.

If you pay a bill, you tip at around 10 - 20% depending on how well you've been looked after.

Examples of the former, drinking in a pub, bar meals in pub etc, ie you pay BEFORE you get your food/drink, and don't tip.

Examples of the latter would be drinking/eating in a nice bar/restaurant, where you pay at the end.

It is ok in a proper local pub to tell the bartender to get him/herself a drink at the same time as getting yours, if they have looked after you well all evening, but you wouldn't do that in a mainstream noisy bar on the main strip, where you'll be paying the equivalent of the annual budget of a small nation for each drink anyway.