Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Master
Tridek - I hope that works for you! step by step, and little by little you can conquer that mountain! any type of encouragement helps!

elisi - thanks for that tip, I definitely want to try that!

Well I'm going for the second day of only smoking one cigarette!, I'm having urges right now, but I have to be strong and not do it! Today its going to be hard.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Master

I've quit successfully 2 times.

First time I was cigarette free for 12 years. Yes, 12 years and one day during a weak moment and a margarita in my hand I picked up a cigarette and smoked it. I was hooked again for 6 years the second time and then quit again and have now been smoke free for 9 years.

Number 1 rule: Look back to see your progress. What were you like 2 days ago, 2 months ago, 4 months ago, 9 months ago. It is only when you look back that you will see any progress.

Number 2 rule: You can't say you have quit if you are smoking 1 (or 2, or 3, or 4) cigarettes a day. There is no such thing as tapering off for most of us.

Number 3 rule: Don't compare yourself to anyone else. It is extremely difficult for some to quit (like me) and easy for others.

Number 4 rule: Don't expect you will be over the mountain until a year goes by (if you are one of the ones who find it difficult) and even then you won't be totally free until 18 months pass. By then you will only have once-in-a-blue-moon cravings and they will be light.

Number 5 rule: Never let your guard down. On that one weak moment with your margarita in your hand, don't pick up the cigarette, thinking just one won't hurt. It will.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Tsuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
Number 3 rule: Don't compare yourself to anyone else. It is extremely difficult for some to quit (like me) and easy for others.

The meditation technique was like a miracle cure for me. I mean honestly, 30+ years of smoking to suddenly stop without any cravings always blows my mind. Although the process took quite some time, it was real easy because I thoroughly enjoyed learning to meditate.
But as you say in rule number three, it isn't for everone.

I can even enjoy the smell of secondary smoke without the urge to ask for one!

t.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Suspended
Twenty a day for eighteen years gave me breathing problems which I actually ignored for a a long time, until I realised how much damage I was doing.

Nine months on patches, followed by six months of over indulging on cafine, sugar, & food in general made me sick. That was the time that really broke the addiction.

It wasn't easy but it was well worth the effort, I'm still reaping the rewards of quitting even now.

Just experiencing life without that old companion, is an eye opener for sure.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Ascender
You can do it deyheaven!

Congratulations linen! Your story of just one cigarette with a drink is compelling.

Thistle -- I might just use a meditation for phase 2 if I ever get to it. My strategy is every phase I solidly agree to something. Right now phase 1 is just the reading of text that makes me not want to smoke every time I go out for one. I've been making good progress.

Astro -- I've been doing 20/day for about 10 years off and on. I really need to stop now to avoid more breathing problems. Thank you for reminding me of that.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Master
A good motive worked for me, (I stop the first time cause of my babies), now my motive is health! I want to be healthy.

linen 53 - that's what happened to me, I just wanted to smoke one, but without the margarita! lol

Thanks Tridek! I did good today! Keep us posted!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Master
Well today was a pretty harsh day, specially in the evening, I really wanted a couple of cigarettes, still do, but I wont do it. I give credit to people that stop sudden like thistle, after 30 years and no cravings pretty amazing.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:23 AM
Master

Remember, one drop of water times ????? makes a lake. So it is with each day you pass without a cigarette.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Ascender
I was going to try a new approach by making quitting smoking a game -- just a little trick to occupy my mind with something that will give it a healthy outcome. I never got started though.

I have had experience though with my heart not wanting something my mind wanted and me not being able (because I didn't want it bad enough in my mind) to do it...specifically eating meat. When my heart wants to quit I believe I will. I believe thinking of all of the life inside of my lungs that it is killing is going to help with that since life is AMAZING. Right now just isn't a good time because of emotional negativity that I have been experiencing. I expect the storm to pass soon and when it does I plan on focusing on the cells of my lungs and think how great they are and how I don't want to harm them.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Master
I do hope your storm passes soon Tridek!, I know how it feels, to be under a storm. It makes it even harder to stop. I do hope you take care of your precious lungs soon, don't wait too long. Do whatever you can in your power to stop, don't let that cancer stick win, lol.