Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 29-05-2014, 01:00 AM
Ascender
Help Quitting Smoking

Hi. I think it would be nice to have some support in quitting smoking for all who want it. I'd like to tell you all how smoking hurt me spiritually.

Last night I made some realizations about who I am. I was very adamant that I didn't smoke. Then I felt the call of my mind saying that it really wanted to smoke. When morning came I gave up realizing who I am for now so that I could be in my mind enough to have a cigarette. I always called them my chains but I didn't actually think they were my spiritual chains as well. I forgot what I understood for cigarettes and my mind trapped me again. I would say this better but I am locked in again.

Let's show some support for each other and help all smokers who want to quit break their chains (including me).
Old 29-05-2014, 02:08 AM
Master
I'm so glad you posted this! I want to stop smoking I just don't know how. Every time I make up my mind and decide to stop, something happens and I get anxious and I start smoking again. I do agree with you that smoking is bad for your spirit and for your health too. I don't want to be a smoker for the rest of my life. I just don't know how to quit, I have manage to stop smoking for months, but the urges to smoke are so strong that I start smoking again. Now I'm a part time smoker, I mean I smoke probably 2-4 a day and I don't smoke inside the car or inside the house. I do need help to stop smoking, I want to break the chain~
Old 29-05-2014, 03:12 AM
Tsuga

About a year ago, and after smoking for around 30+ years, I quite suddenly stopped.
I say suddenly because I hadn't actually intended to quit. I had always thought that I should but could never seem to talk myself into that final showdown with the tobacco packet and the lighter.

It was while doing a long term disciplined meditation regime that a surprising side effect happened, that I realized I didn't need the effects of tobacco anymore.
And the best thing of all was the complete absence of cravings, or depression, or any such torturous backlash.

For the longest time I had been fascinated by that odd reaction one might often notice when the hand will reach for a smoke a microsecond before the mind has fully formulated the idea of needing it.
I'm sure you know what I mean!
It's this reaction I call, "pre-thought". And the trick, it seems, is to set traps and snares in the mindset, in order that those "pre-thoughts", are swiftly deactivated and neutralized. Or in other words, nicotine addiction is physical, and what the mind requires is a better substitute for the nicotine it enjoys so much.

The chain is the link between the body and the mind.

t.
Old 29-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Experiencer
as i said in other topic .. unless i was dreaming lol
the reason all my attempts to quit have failed was stress and pressure
we all know when smokers get under stress or pressure or any negative event
they vent by smoking

when you try to stop smoking you need to stay away from stress
or avoid being in situations that made you smoke
Old 29-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Tsuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Leave Me
as i said in other topic .. unless i was dreaming lol
the reason all my attempts to quit have failed was stress and pressure
we all know when smokers get under stress or pressure or any negative event
they vent by smoking

when you try to stop smoking you need to stay away from stress
or avoid being in situations that made you smoke

Stress and pressure are only the tip, if you'll excuse the pun.
You smoke because the body needs the tar more than the mind needs the nicotine. Having quit the need for smoke, I am in no doubt about this!

t.
Old 30-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Master
So far, I have smoke 2 already (a little anxious this morning), I will do my best not to smoke anymore for the rest of the day! Will see! :)
Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 AM
Ascender
Did you make it deyheaven? I'm still smoking as much as ever. I am way too attached to this desire. I am very much looking forward to the day when I conquer this mountain.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridek
Did you make it deyheaven? I'm still smoking as much as ever. I am way too attached to this desire. I am very much looking forward to the day when I conquer this mountain.

Well, I didn't do so good Friday or Saturday, but today I did I manage to smoke only one in the morning. I have decided as of last night to smoke only one in the morning. My mornings are crazy so I really need one, my evenings are crazy too, but I really need to stop smoking completely. I can't go cold turkey! so will see! Your desire is enough to stop smoking Tridek! Have you tried not smoking at least for a day? or not smoke so much and see how you feel? or go online and look at all the bad things that smoking do to your body, lol that would help you minimize the intake of cigarettes!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Ascender
Well, what I decided I'd do is make an agreement with myself. Every time I go out to smoke I need to read a fact sheet I put together about smoking, some strong personal encouragement, and a note from my parents about quitting. Hopefully this will do it.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:42 AM
elisi

there's an herbal tea, lobelia, that can help stem the craving.