Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 24-04-2013, 05:14 AM
Residue

Non action plus conscious breathing

How to reconcile these two seemingly opposing views in terms of Tao Te Ching verses.

Look and it can't be seen
listen and it can't be heard

Doesn't this clash with process of conscious breathing?

Could someone shed some light?

Thanks in advance
All the best to All
Old 24-04-2013, 05:22 AM
Master
When we look at something, or hear something, we then identify that with what we already know, if we can't we then make a new label. The Tao cannot be named, it can be only pointed to, we then can only experience it, but the experience itself, isn't the Tao.
Old 24-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Residue

I was looking for a reconciliation of those two seemingly opposing ideas...
Or this was your answer?
Old 24-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Residue
I was looking for a reconciliation of those two seemingly opposing ideas...
Or this was your answer?
Yes that is my answer, that is how i read what you said.
Old 24-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Residue

Ok are you a Taoist? Nice to meet you. I've heard the Tao Te Ching is 2nd most published piece in the world, second only to the bible.

Thanks for your answer.

Do you understand what I mean by conscious breathing? Or perhaps mindfulness of breath?

Lol, obviously you do.

So, how did you achieve conscious breathing?
I am currently trying to practice non action with regard to awareness of the breath and my understanding is whenever my awareness goes to my breath, rather than trying to focus consciously on it, I just let my awareness be exactly as it, be aware of whatever it wants to be aware of, and my thoughts just come as they come holding onto nothing, letting it all through, and I'm guessing that this equal acceptance of the states of 'being conscious of my breathing' and 'not being conscious of my breathing' will eventually lead to it happening automatically by itself... To be done through non action

Could you please give me feedback of this idea if you would like to?
Either way, thanks for your help.

All the best on the path. I wish for you tolerance, endurance, love, wisdom... I am that I am

The artist presently known as Peter
Old 24-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Ok are you a Taoist? Nice to meet you. I've heard the Tao Te Ching is 2nd most published piece in the world, second only to the bible.

Thanks for your answer.

Do you understand what I mean by conscious breathing? Or perhaps mindfulness of breath?

Lol, obviously you do.

So, how did you achieve conscious breathing?
I am currently trying to practice non action with regard to awareness of the breath and my understanding is whenever my awareness goes to my breath, rather than trying to focus consciously on it, I just let my awareness be exactly as it, be aware of whatever it wants to be aware of, and my thoughts just come as they come holding onto nothing, letting it all through, and I'm guessing that this equal acceptance of the states of 'being conscious of my breathing' and 'not being conscious of my breathing' will eventually lead to it happening automatically by itself... To be done through non action

Could you please give me feedback of this idea if you would like to?
Either way, thanks for your help.

All the best on the path. I wish for you tolerance, endurance, love, wisdom... I am that I am

The artist presently known as Peter
Thank you for being so kind, but I have to say i know nothing about this breath thing, I'm not a practicing Taoist, but I am what the Tao points to, I am the Source, I am Consciousness, as all is, you only need to realize that for yourself and the Tao will take care of its SELF.
Old 24-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Residue

Ok great. Thankyou. I have some understanding of these points. Thanks very much for the assistance.
Old 24-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Guide
You wish to grasp Air. Now imagine trying to capture a flame. Fire is Softer than both Water and Air. Yet Fire is the Elusive Goal. Although Buddhism seeks to completely put out the Fire inside, ending the Cycle of Samsara, and therefore Suffering, it reasons, that is Spiritual Suicide. The True Path is to Awaken the Fire.

The Awareness of Breath is included in this Path.
Old 24-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Residue

Ok well I have heard within Buddhism a term "middle path" between desire and asceticism... I don't know much about it if anything. I'm not sure about it being spiritual suicide either. Why do you think that?

Is this part of the Tao? This fire teaching?
I think desire is a piece of the puzzle, the master accepts all and therefore knows how to use everything turning nothing away...

What makes you think the fire is the key component and not rather a part of the whole inseparable from water, water, earth or Aethyr?

High and low depend on each other
Forwards and backwards create each other...

Explain more please sir :-)

Thanks for messaging. I can definately sense your passion and i love it!!
All the best man
Old 24-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Guide
Quote:
Ok well I have heard within Buddhism a term "middle path" between desire and asceticism... I don't know much about it if anything. I'm not sure about it being spiritual suicide either. Why do you think that?

Is this part of the Tao? This fire teaching?
I think desire is a piece of the puzzle, the master accepts all and therefore knows how to use everything turning nothing away...

What makes you think the fire is the key component and not rather a part of the whole inseparable from water, water, earth or Aethyr?

High and low depend on each other
Forwards and backwards create each other...

Explain more please sir :-)

Thanks for messaging. I can definately sense your passion and i love it!!
All the best man

I think yes, it is true that all of the Elements are equally important. Though I was speaking of actual meaning. It has everything to do with Chi/Qi. I prefer the word Prana. There is many forms of Prana. Air Prana we get from Breathing. Water Prana we get from Drinking. Earth Prana we get from Eating. Can you guess where we get Fire Prana from? The Sun. This I rather call it Solar Prana. This Fire Prana is stored as what is called Kundalini. Now, it is important that I note that while Kundalini is directly activated by or through, (for lack of a better word or phrase), "The Realization", it is not "The Realization" itself. Rather Kundalini Awakening is a Natural 'Effect' of Understanding the Way. The Way being the Process and Truth of what it means to be Living as a Human. It's actually quite simple, though I haven't said really anything about that. Also I want to state that I have not awakened this process in myself, I simply have explored a great deal and have discovered, I believe, what has been lost. What I am talking about is Spiritual Alchemy, which is not only Central to Taoism but also to the Ancient Mystery Schools and Wisdom Traditions.