Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 05-09-2021, 11:36 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
You did, I just didn't take it literally. I will now.

No problem....

You see, I was merely drifting from thoughts on one Thread ("Hell") and, speaking to myself, mentioned the threat posed by literalism. Possibly I'm wrong in drawing you into it by posting it as a response to words of your own. I apologise.

For me it is all part of "Somoo" and "searching the scriptures daily for in them they think they have life." Of those scriptures claiming that they actually speak of what is beyond , even though "within them, and just how tragic it is when this is missed.

Of the Buddha holding up a flower and just one person "getting it".....of the opening words of St John's gospel, "In the beginning was the Word"......Those words are enough, much like the flower held up by the Buddha.

For the rest of us there are words, analysis.

I really mean no harm.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Below are 2 instances in which the Buddha himself prays.
I think it has to do with the intention with which to pray. Not unlike other prayer based religions.

Suriya Sutta:

Candima Sutta:
They are Mythological Sutta's......
Old 05-09-2021, 02:56 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
They are Mythological Sutta's......
I don't understand what that means. According to whome are they mythological? Does that diminish their truth somehow?
Old 05-09-2021, 03:16 PM
Deactivated Account
A discussion here on another Forum....

http://https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/do-sutta-contains-lot-of-mythology/13215
Old 05-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice

Can you imagine The Buddha praying to Sun Deities, I can't I'll use your excellent word's... ' Come and see '......
Old 05-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Eelco

So would you call the above mentioned sutta's sacred or not true?
Old 05-09-2021, 03:32 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Can you imagine The Buddha praying to Sun Deities, I can't I'll use your excellent word's... ' Come and see '......
Ah. I can. I also believe he did teach deities as well. For whatever that's worth.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:37 PM
Master
Quote:
I don't understand what that means. According to whome are they mythological? Does that diminish their truth somehow?
According to the Buddhist Scholars who spend their lives Studying and Translating....
Does it diminish their truth.... thats for you to personally decide.
The 'Kalama Sutta' is really helpful imo when deciding to believe or not to believe a Teaching....
Old 05-09-2021, 04:06 PM
Eelco

nope not useful

Last edited by Eelco : 06-09-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:49 PM
Deactivated Account
This all reminds me of being on another forum many years ago and some guy was of the "Buddha taught it/said it" so you have to go with it type. I mentioned a few verses from the Samyutta Nikaya (my bedtime reading at the time.... ) where the Buddha advises someone to consult Wind Nagas if they needed a weather forecast. Well, the exchange drifted towards its foregone conclusion, the guy disappeared, never to return as far as I know. (I might as well have been talking to myself... )

Anyway, this makes me think of another thread I opened way back, when I was exploring "faith"/"belief" and all things west. I asked if anyone's faith would be shaken if they read that the Dalai Lama had upped sticks and ran off with an American lady. Of course, this scenario is just one of many you can conjure up.....Jesus never having existed, the Qu'ran proved a forgery.

Of course, everyone insisted it would make no difference! Unshaken they would stride on to the promised land.

Whatever, this is one reason that I like Pure Land Buddhism. It is so obviously based upon mythology that I'm getting a head start.