Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 04-11-2021, 09:49 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 92 EXCERPT: That is precisely the point stated quite concisely.
"Know thyself and thou shalt know God." Jung said the self is "The God inside," aka Atman and by extension Brahman.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:46 PM
Master
QUOTE 98 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
All I got from your post was a reference to silence .. when an answer to the question/s would of made more sense to me ..

This is and has been my point all along, but people don't respond in kind and explain themselves other than to quote more teachers and ignore the point made ..

I mistakenly interpreted your line of questioning to suggest that you were conversant with the process of self-inquiry which leads one to Silence and at least glimpses of the Absolute. Your questions were similar in many ways to aspects of the self-enquiry process (as Ramana would have proceeded) so my intention was to confirm that we could go immediately beyond the words and into what is revealed experientially in the silence. I now understand how that frustrated you.

My response was thus to compliment you and indicate that we could dispense with the preliminary dialogues and go deeper more quickly than with most.

In any case, on another thread, I responded in great detail regarding the actual process that I myself had followed in VALIDATING one aspect of the Ramana Maharshi Self-Enquiry practice. (Rather than repeat that entire post, I will give you the link to the specific page.)

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...=141835&page=3

I agree with you that many people simply regurgitate what their teachers have said and don't actually have the direct experiences to support what they say. There are even many self-proclaimed "gurus" who also fit this description of all-talk with no direct experiences. My teacher specifically advised us to QUESTION EVERYTHING (even what she said) and VALIDATE through direct experiences whatever resonated most. We did not blindly accept what was taught, but VALIDATED what was taught. Only then is one firmly established in one's beliefs as one KNOWS through direct experience as opposed to regurgitating based on "blind faith". The former ... understanding based on direct experiences ... is unshakeable.

On the other thread, as you will see, another poster concisely and articulately expressed what I had written in great detail. You will note that the poster ended by saying that there is a point where "language is simply inadequate". That is the silence of which I had written.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
"Know thyself and thou shalt know God." Jung said the self is "The God inside," aka Atman and by extension Brahman.

The Oracle of Delphi, which found the sum of human wisdom in the expression “Know thyself,” also said that there was no man wiser than Socrates, from which one might conclude that no man knew himself better than Socrates.

According to a story told by the Korean Zen Master Seung Sahn, Socrates was once asked if he knew himself. His reported response was interesting: "I don't know ..... but I do understand the not-knowing."

As for Carl Jung, he is my favorite psychologist. I studied under Pir Vilayat Khan, the son of the Sufi Master Hazrat Inayat Khan. Hazrat labeled Jung as the greatest of the psychologists because he bordered empirically on the spiritual with his theory of the collective unconscious ... leading towards the One.

Nice post.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:06 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
...there is a point where "language is simply inadequate". That is the silence of which I had written.
If anything is to be said it can only be by way of analogy, metaphor, parable, etc...

I have in my hands "The Heart of Awareness" by Thomas Byrom. It's a translation of the Ashtavakra Gita. Sri Ramakrishna kept his copy from all his disciples except Swami Vivekananda as it's considered the pinnacle of non-dual teachings. It's 70-something pages of analogies and metaphors all saying the same exact thing - You are Absolute.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:07 PM
Master
QUOTE 100 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
It's a good one for sure! Exploring and understanding the three states of mind and their relationship with Consciousness.

Getting down to thoughts ...

Soooo... Are you conscious of mind (waking, dreaming and deep sleep) or is mind conscious of you?

That's a good question, and I am actually "thinking" about starting a thread on "How do thoughts arise?". What is "mind" ... and which "mind" are we talking about, the individual mind or the Cosmic Mind or .... ?
Old 04-11-2021, 08:17 PM
Master
Quote:
I mistakenly interpreted your line of questioning to suggest that you were conversant with the process of self-inquiry which leads one to Silence and at least glimpses of the Absolute.

I spent 8 years self enquiring and self healing, meditation and doing yoga until I transcended .. I no longer self enquire, but continue to meditate and do yoga for a further 15 years and still continue to do so to this very day ..

You see, this is why I question what other people declare because it doesn't make sense or add up .

What I refer to is beyond the silence, it is beyond, self, light and darkness, feelings and senses, thoughts and comparisons ..

This is why you cannot realise that this world and the peeps of this world are dreamy characters etc .. these are the questions I ask to no avail for peeps to explain but they never do .

Questions relating to these so called egoic illusory dream characters that people are devoted too and quote like there is no tomorrow ..

None it makes sense to me how one can have a foundation of such and yet proclaim realisations that doesn't reflect the foundation ..

x daz x
Old 04-11-2021, 08:24 PM
Master
Quote:
On the other thread, as you will see, another poster concisely and articulately expressed what I had written in great detail. You will note that the poster ended by saying that there is a point where "language is simply inadequate". That is the silence of which I had written.

For sure, many might say the same thing, but in the next breath one continues in the same vein of declaring how the world is, or how illusory one is .

Do you understand how foundations work?

Do you understand you can't have an unreal fish in a real pond and vice versa?

What point do you see in peeps quoting other illusory egoic dream characters in order to bolster there own illusory egoic dream character's points of view .

Isn't it like a shadow chasing a shadow, and as said many times, a dream character cannot realise anything, a dream character cannot awaken from the dream .. a dream character cannot know the dream or anything else .

Only real individuals can, that are self aware . Self conscious .

x daz x
Old 05-11-2021, 09:56 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Hazrat labeled Jung as the greatest of the psychologists because he bordered empirically on the spiritual with his theory of the collective unconscious ... leading towards the One.
Jung also based his model of the ego on the Ahamkara and his model of the self on the Atman. Really, there's very little difference between Spirituality and psychology if you know where to look, and when you understand Jung's model of the self as Atman it provides a framework of understanding.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
Well Mikey Mike, it's pretty obvious who answers questions and those that don't .

What they proclaim the world to be, what the self is, what the ego is, what a dream actually is etc etc ..

Now some as you know proclaim all of this but don't actually believe it to be true and yet they will say that what anyone else says to the contrary is not correct lol
It seems to me like people have too many conflicting foundational beliefs and concepts stored in their memory from many different philosophies, schools of thought, sciences etc. I talked about this a lot on this forum, yet nobody wants to hear it. It all boils down to people believing what they want to believe, even if the truth is right in front of their face.

Take the duality and non-duality concept as an example. Most people on this forum have the foundation that duality is a dream or illusion, thus they do not or can not understand that duality and non-duality are one and the same-that duality and non-duality together/united is exactly what oneness-wholeness is, even when these people talk about oneness.

Like I said before, from a oneness-wholeness perspective, if duality is a dream/illusion, then non-duality is also a dream/illusion.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Master
QUOTE 104 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
If anything is to be said it can only be by way of analogy, metaphor, parable, etc...

I have in my hands "The Heart of Awareness" by Thomas Byrom. It's a translation of the Ashtavakra Gita. Sri Ramakrishna kept his copy from all his disciples except Swami Vivekananda as it's considered the pinnacle of non-dual teachings.

Even today, the Astavakra Samhita is one of my favorites.