Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 02-08-2022, 09:49 AM
Knower
Origin of thought

I have been thinking about the origin of thought, and I have come up with some reasons as to why we think:

1. White Noise or random thinking / brain activity (the chattering mind) - This type of thought activity can be reduced or eliminated to a great extent through meditation.

2. Associative thinking - this kind of thought activity can be reduced by reducing the cross connections between different elements in an associative memory space.

3. Tendencies giving rise to thoughts often or infrequently depending on the strength of the tendency. Tendency itself is an energy current in one of the subtle bodies, and this thought energy is what gives rise to thoughts related to that tendency with the help of the language in which the thought is supposed to be expressed. Here prior to meditation one needs to tackle the tendency itself. Or else, the tendency can also be tackled through what Buddhists call insight meditation or contemplation. Regular calming meditation is of no use for tackling deep rooted tendencies.

4. Superimposition on perception. What we see or hear is sometimes superimposed by our fears, worries or desires. This kind of overshadowing of what is perceived takes place very often. On the other hand, even what we think about very often can overshadow what we perceive. For example, if a boy thinks about sex very often, then when he sees a pretty girl, he will superimpose his desire for sex on that girl. That is why it is sometimes said that we do not see what is, but what we want to see. This can work even for positive things. For example, the smell of incense can remind one of one's chosen deity. So this is partly associative thinking and partly superimposition.

5. Active deliberate purposive thinking. I think this is obvious.

6. Inspired thought.

Anyone else,. be free to add to this list.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:38 PM
Knower
Thought is born of the self-referential mental codification of perception and/or imagination. It is strengthened via repetition. All initial impressions, if favorable, become appeal or tendency, the which potentially transforming unto habit; and if continued still further these comprise what we call behavior or personality. Intricate patterns of serpentining thoughts (conceptualized in belief) are what afford the "individuality" of a person. These are all governed by attachment, with aversion being a mere perversion of that attachment, paradoxically (and ultimately) cognate to the same.

Can you engulf and hold the entire Pacific Ocean in your mouth? So it is with the limitations and flaws of the human mind in its search of comprehending "truth" (what is). Don't get me wrong, our minds are a fantastic tool, but a screwdriver alone cannot launch a space shuttle...

One-pointed Concentration (dharana) is the process of reversing said codification. Undoing the tendency as it were, by using some focus as the sole nexus for the attention so that one can (over time) ignore and weaken all of the contrivances built by the repetitions of attachment which cause the tendencies (vasanas) that create and direct our thoughts.

Last edited by Wagner : 08-08-2022 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:07 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner
One-pointed Concentration (dharana) is the process of reversing said codification. Undoing the tendency as it were, by using some focus as the sole nexus for the attention so that one can (over time) ignore and weaken all of the contrivances built by the repetitions of attachment which cause the tendencies (vasanas) that create and direct our thoughts.

(With reference to the above) you have the exact same ideas that I have about how to reverse the tendencies and how unlearning may be achieved. The key words in your response are "focus as the sole nexus for the attention" and "ignore and weaken". Thank you for your response. It makes me a little more confident of the approach I should take while meditating.
Old 13-08-2022, 08:49 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurab
(With reference to the above) you have the exact same ideas that I have about how to reverse the tendencies and how unlearning may be achieved.
Think of the mind as a vast expanse of flat, even ground. Ordinary, attentive thought represents drawing/digging a line into that dirt. Repeated focus on the same thoughts is a retread of the same pathway. The more this is done, the deeper the rut that is dug, the greater the tendency of the attention to go in that direction; the path of least resistance. Dharana is the digging of a single dot into and through the ground of the mind. It's not so much the concentration of meditation which is the virtue (as you aptly recognize, saurab!) but the ignoring of the other "ruts" and leaving them to lose their depth as they're eroded by indifference.

"Then his soul is a lamp whose light is steady, for it burns in a shelter where no winds come."

Quote:
The key words in your response are "focus as the sole nexus for the attention" and "ignore and weaken". Thank you for your response. It makes me a little more confident of the approach I should take while meditating.
However, just remember that anyone can wend towards theoretical nihilism (which is NOT the goal at all!). Those words that you've quoted are outcomes of proper meditation, not directives. Practice, sadhana, is where you need to focus. :) "Philosophy" is a tangled web!!!

Last edited by Wagner : 13-08-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 18-08-2022, 03:11 PM
Pathfinder

I liked the thoughts you both shared on this topic. I would like to add my two cents as well :)

There is a term called 'antaḥkaraṇa' from the Vedas. It is the antaḥkaraṇa where inner thought originates because antaḥkaraṇa comprises manas (mind), citta (subconscious), ahaṅkāra (ego) and buddhi (intellect)

Meditation takes us into the core of antaḥkaraṇa and there one can witness the thoughts getting originated and dissolved into more thoughts and yet because one is meditating one has the control over these very thoughts.

Old 18-08-2022, 03:58 PM
I have practiced Thought Control for over a decade. - during my normal day.
(Different than focusing on a particular thing within so there are very few thoughts other than
an awareness of wonder and enjoyment - soon awe in meditation.)

I laugh now at silly thoughts, and say," No" to them as if they are listening...they vanish the second I say, "No" or Stoppit. Lol.
I don't bother with where they came from or why they come in...that is just more thought to me that doesn't matter, to me.

I know what thoughts I listen to that come in, like, "Your keys are under your mail...Turn left here" "You have an appt coming up~!"
I more call those messages from my spirit guide or angels, tho, and
thank them.
Thoughts I don't want are - "I hope that guy gets a ticket. Boy, is that person stupid."

Like Emmet Fox*said: ''You must not allow yourself to dwell for a single moment on any unkind or negative thought"
(Period, I say.)

* Another amazing New Thought teacher/author.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 18-08-2022, 08:51 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I laugh now at silly thoughts, and say," No" to them as if they are listening...they vanish the second I say, "No" or Stoppit. Lol.
I don't bother with where they came from or why they come in...that is just more thought to me that doesn't matter, to me.
You know what I say when I realize thoughts are attempting to take over driving from the back seat? I see you! LOL!

Especially if it's egoic-related thoughts. Might not always be instantaneous but it usually doesn't last all that long.

One other thought is it's not an aggressive smack-down but a compassionate and gentle release. An understanding it's just mind's nature.
Old 19-08-2022, 11:42 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
It almost becomes a spontaneous electric fence for thought. Neti, neti. ;)
Old 20-08-2022, 10:47 PM
Master
Thinking is energy reflected in what we call “thought forms.” These thought forms are
our attempt to procreate and bring reasoning to our experiences, regardless whether
those experiences be internal or external.

We can also procreate and bring purpose to our existence when we quiet our thoughts
and allow ourselves to be guided not by thoughts, but by our core with intuition.
Thoughts are an innate tool which we have at our disposal and so is intuition.
Old 22-08-2022, 09:08 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Thinking is energy reflected in what we call “thought forms.” These thought forms are
our attempt to procreate and bring reasoning to our experiences, regardless whether
those experiences be internal or external.

We can also procreate and bring purpose to our existence when we quiet our thoughts
and allow ourselves to be guided not by thoughts, but by our core with intuition.
Thoughts are an innate tool which we have at our disposal and so is intuition.
"Vrittis" they are called. They are, however, not the origin but the perpetuation of the mind... :)

Edit
Vrittis are like the trains that ride upon the tracks called Vasanas, which are set down by the Prarabdha Karma of the Jiva. Meditation is the practice of the exiting of all those trains by the attention, and its sitting in one place in uniform and silent attentiveness.

Last edited by Wagner : 23-08-2022 at 07:44 AM.