Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 12-10-2021, 06:38 AM
Ascender
All models are wrong

but some are useful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_models_are_wrong

What do you think, especially regarding spiritual models of reality, but also conspiracies or anything that comes to your mind?
Old 19-11-2021, 01:43 AM
Knower
Yes, this is right.

I would rather say all models are right though. For it would be saying the same thing just in the positive.
Old 19-11-2021, 03:01 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume

What do you think, especially regarding spiritual models of reality, but also conspiracies or anything that comes to your mind?

i read in the bible once, long ago, but I've long since forgotten where... that this reality is constructed in such a way that none of us can get an accurate model of what it is. According to *that* model any attempt to try in any arena we want to try it in will leave those of us who want it with a 'wrong' answer.

I always wanna believe I could find 'the' answer anyway... Gotta love that cherubim/flaming sword.

It is even in vogue to think such a negative model must necessarily be wrong just because of its negative stance and use that as a justification to not even consider the idea!

ungraspable... something else done in the furtherance of 'life' AFAICT.

but that doesn't mean there isn't some grain of truth in every model... trick to navigating as some have observed is not to be either too attached to or too detached from anything in particular.
Old 19-11-2021, 05:48 AM
Master
Quote:
but some are useful.
There is a difference between saying 'the map is not the territory' and saying 'the map is wrong'. If the map models the terrain correctly, the model is useful, but the map doesn't recreate the territory. Indeed, If it did, it would be useless. Therefore, if a model is 'right', it is also useless.
Old 20-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Master
They're just not the models that are useful that's all, they're not wrong, only one thing is wrong and that's 'hate".
utopia
Old 21-11-2021, 03:00 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
the model is useful, but the map doesn't recreate the territory. Indeed, If it did, it would be useless. Therefore, if a model is 'right', it is also useless.
I don't follow you on that logic.
You're going from "all models are wrong some are useful" to "right or wrong, they're all useless". Quite a jump!

I don't get the "recreate", models don't do anything. Models can give directions, explanations, then it's up to us to interpret and use what they tell, trust them or not.
Land maps for instance are never 100% accurate, but we use them all the time because they're accurate enough for our purpose.
Old 21-11-2021, 03:18 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
i read in the bible once, long ago, but I've long since forgotten where... that this reality is constructed in such a way that none of us can get an accurate model of what it is. According to *that* model any attempt to try in any arena we want to try it in will leave those of us who want it with a 'wrong' answer.
Yes, right. On a larger scope, our own model of reality is based on what our brain can perceive, and its capacity.
We can't have the whole universe in our brain, except if our brain is the universe itself!
Some enlightened people seem to have had access to that full knowledge, but then had to come back to their limited brain and limited language to communicate.

In that regard, I now tend to think that "intuition" is precisely avoiding the use of our wrong model. Higher intuition I mean. It's like admitting the limited capacity of our brain and letting God / the Universe tell us the truth.
Old 21-11-2021, 11:34 PM
Guide
Quote:
Yes, right. On a larger scope, our own model of reality is based on what our brain can perceive, and its capacity.
We can't have the whole universe in our brain, except if our brain is the universe itself!
Some enlightened people seem to have had access to that full knowledge, but then had to come back to their limited brain and limited language to communicate.

In that regard, I now tend to think that "intuition" is precisely avoiding the use of our wrong model. Higher intuition I mean. It's like admitting the limited capacity of our brain and letting God / the Universe tell us the truth.

You can be enlightened and still struggle, like enlightenment doesn’t stop your humanity. It just means you have that overview perspective.

You can be enlightened and still choose to ignore your intuition- but the universe may come back with a slap :L
Old 22-11-2021, 01:59 AM
Master
Quote:
I don't follow you on that logic.
A map is 'not right but useful' because it represents some info about the terrain. If a map had all the information of the terrain it would be the same as the terrain, and therefore superfluous. This means a model necessarily needs to be not-right to be useful.
Old 22-11-2021, 07:34 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalShaman
You can be enlightened and still choose to ignore your intuition- but the universe may come back with a slap :L
lol, enlightened or not, I know that for a long time!