Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 16-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Suggs

Religion is Man-Made

In my quest to understand what I believed I found that I could not come to grips with some of the customs and beliefs of that all religions have. It wasn't until I stopped trying to fit myself into someone elses box that I found Spirituality and the relationship between my soul and my ego/personality. There is numerous amounts of literature on this topic which helped me rrelease myself from the need for religion.

That is not to say that I do not believe in someone like Jesus Christ, in fact I believe he did live and was a great human being, just like Ganhdi, Sister Terrasa, and others living amongst us now.

If you left religion out of it and realized we are all made up of the same spiritual energy, we could avoid alot of problems.

"...no Religion too..." - John Lennon

Suggs
Old 16-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Cynthia

I definitely agree. I truly believe that if most people were to look inside of themselves they would find that they are their own religion. Even people of the same faith cannot possibly worship the same because everyone is moved differently. My heart is passionate about this. I agree that "religion" may be man-made. I look at mother (she's a christian) sometimes and think: you can't possibly believe that jargon about females being formed out of the rib of Adam. :x It is the most spititual feeling to question "religion". I find that those that are truly connected to the God or what have you have questioned "religion" because they have somehow felt that the "Great Spirit" is inside of them already and they don't need formal writings or ceremoies to prove it. This is always a topic in my heart. I thank you for identifying with it and share more if you will......
Old 17-12-2005, 05:49 PM
DASA

Sectarian Religion is Man Made but Real Religion is Eternal

Thankyou for starting off this interesting post Suggs.

I would agree with both yourself and Cynthia that a lot of what goes on in the name of religion is concocted, or ritualistic. We should always look beyond the sectarian divisions to the truth which lies behind it. For example, each country in the world has it's own words and traditions concerning 'the sun', but the sun itself is beyond such man-made descripitons.

Here is an excerpt from talk by Srila Prabhupada, who spoke exstensively with John Lennon back in the 70's. Hope you find it interesting.

Peace, love & Hare Krishna,

your servant,

Das

==============================

When we are firmly fixed up in devotional service, that is the highest transcendental form of religion.

There are so many religious system -- Hindu religion, Muslim religion, Christian religion -- but they are all material conception of religion. Material conception means that we are in this material world, and through a process or system we are trying to understand what is God. That is called religion. 'Dharmam tu saksad bhagavat-pranitam' [Srimad Bhagavatam 6.3.19]. The attempt to understand God and His laws, that is religion. So it doesn't matter whether it is executed through a system called Hindu religion or a system called Muslim religion or a system called Christian religion. If the objective is the same, 'Adhoksaja', then that process is first-class religion. If we simply stick to a system without making any progress towards the goal of understanding the 'Adhoksaja', then it is srama eva hi kevalam.

dharmah svanusthitah pumsam
visvaksena-kathasu yah
notpadayed yadi ratim
srama eva hi kevalam
[Srimad Bhagavatam 1.2.8]

Don't be stuck up in a system. The system is required provided if you make progress towards the realization of the Supreme. But if you simply follow a system but do not make advance in the matter of realizing the Supreme, then, according to Srimad-Bhagavatam or according to the Vedic version, it is simply labor of love. It has no value. Therefore Bhagavata says, "That is first-class religion system." It doesn't matter you call it Hindu or Muslim or Christian or Buddha. "That is first-class religion which helps you progressing in realization of the Adhoksaja." Adhoksaja, another name of Krishna. Adhoksaja means the subject matter which you cannot understand simply by mental speculation or by empiric knowledge, by exercising and empiric knowledge. That is called Adhoksaja.

:-)
Old 30-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Space_Man

To my mind: At some point, the religious
Old 21-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Mike

I really appreciate some of the perspectives that have been shared about religion. I noticed someone mentioned something about Jesus in one of the earlier posts. Does anyone happen to have any thoughts or ideas about this man? Who He really was, what He was really about, why exactly He died, and whether or not He actually rose from the dead? For those who do, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Old 23-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Space_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I noticed someone mentioned something about Jesus in one of the earlier posts. Does anyone happen to have any thoughts or ideas about this man?
Ah, you have but to join us here, my friend. (and welcome to the forums!! :) )
Old 16-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Maarkandeya

Scriptures cannot describe that which is indescribable

In my opinion, scriptures are the best attempts by allegedly realized beings to describe in words that which is indescribable. They must necessarily all fall short of the goal.

It is my understanding that one must ultimately transcend all thoughts and concepts and words and scriptures in order to realize "sanatana dharma", the "eternal religion" from which all religions emerge. The scriptures of the various world religions simply help to remove the veil of ignorance that obscures the clear vision of Reality.

Unfortunately, organized religions are often led by those unrealized souls who are guided by scriptures that they do not fully understand. What other reason can there be for all the chaos created in the name of "religion"?
Old 24-02-2006, 10:55 AM
DASA

Scriptures

Here's a quote from scripture on that one

"All purposes served by a small well can at once be served by a great reservoir of water. Similarly, all the purposes of the scriptures can be served to one who knows the purpose behind them."

- Krishna speaking in Bhagavad-Gita (2.46)
Old 01-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Maarkandeya

DASA's quote from Gita is right on target ! Thanks !

DASA, I love the quote you offered from the Bhaghavad Gita (copied below). I agree with it completely. Once one has even a glimpse of the ultimate nature of Reality, then one suddenly "knows the purpose behind" the various scriptures. At that point, one can only marvel at the wisdom of the sage who formulated the scripture.

I still stand by my original post, but do not see it conflicting in any way with what you said. I still feel that the scriptures are the best attempts of sages to describe in words THAT which is indescribable. Such scriptures are often misinterpreted by those who do not know that they do not know.

In addition, I would like to note that, while I personally embrace various paths to "Godhead", I must admit that Krishna's teachings, as expounded in the Bhaghavad Gita, are among my favorites. The Gita wondrously points out various approaches to "Godhead" that addresses the paths suited to those of different temperments. It is truly a masterpiece in spirituality.

__________________________________________________ ____

DASA's quote from the Gita:

"All purposes served by a small well can at once be served by a great reservoir of water. Similarly, all the purposes of the scriptures can be served to one who knows the purpose behind them."

- Krishna speaking in Bhagavad-Gita (2.46)
Old 09-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Pounamu

I'm sure that organised religion is truly an attempt of the founder to express him /herself in what they realise about their relationship to Spirit - and as stated in posts above, one really has to experience the truth of this relationship for oneself, for it to be meaning-full; else it is simply copying someone else's ideas and interpretation of what relationship to Spirit means to them. You do have to get right inside it and make it your own - is it not so?
Closed Thread