Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

Old 15-02-2024, 10:18 AM
Seeker
Beyond Theology - Alan Watts

I always have quite a few books on the go, dipping in and out of them. At the moment one in particular has gained a stranglehold, "Beyond Theology: The Art of Godmanship" by Alan Watts. Fascinating stuff, causing me to jumble about with previous convictions and reorientate ways of seeing and being.

Way back I cast aside Alan Watts as some sort of superficial New Agey guru but eventually had to reconsider upon reading a couple of his books on Taoism and Zen. I found that he had in fact deep insight, at least as I understood it. I now have his Collected Letters, and read a few each day. Quite entertaining, and he addresses many to "Mummy and Daddy" even into his thirties and forties! I know that in his private life it all became a bit "iffy" with drink and what not (especially the "what not"!) but hey, no one is perfect and let us not judge!

Anyway, I recommend the book "Beyond Theology" - it can be a bit of a game changer. The text certainly demonstrates a deep knowledge of many of our world's faith traditions, especially Christianity and Hinduism. What eventually comes through is a way of knowing them in fresh ways - or simply "way" - which can perhaps lead to a way of living them that is life giving.

I might quote a few passages if there is any interest.
Old 15-02-2024, 11:35 AM
Master

Dogonsoto……. Yes i really love his stuff as well. I often go on walks listening to his YouTube talks. He kinda makes sense to me.

Yes ide be interested in reading any passages from his book on the forum.

Perhaps put it on another thread instead of “books” where it will reach more people. Just a thought.
Old 15-02-2024, 11:57 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
Perhaps put it on another thread instead of “books” where it will reach more people. Just a thought.
Hi, yes, thanks.

Always difficult to know exactly where to post such excerpts, they reflect such a "cocktail" of various religions and philosophies and ideas! I'll have a better look around.
Old 15-02-2024, 12:04 PM
Well since the title says Alan Watts..I think the quotes from the book here would be fine. :)
Either way. Such a wise man. Rem we are limited to 3 sentences quotes, tho.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 15-02-2024, 01:07 PM
From a commentary ...3 sentence limit! Published in 1964 btw.
So many younger people don't even know his name. So thank you.

''In this landmark work, Watts asks whether a “rigorous, imperious, and invincibly self-righteous” religion such as
Christianity can stay relevant in our modern, multicultural world.
To answer that question, he deconstructs Christianity by using concepts borrowed from psychology, linguistics,
science, and Eastern philosophy.
In the process, he solves difficult problems of theology, traces the impact of Christianity on Western culture, and points
the way to a new form of nondualistic spirituality.''

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 16-02-2024, 10:04 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Well since the title says Alan Watts..I think the quotes from the book here would be fine. :)
Either way. Such a wise man. Rem we are limited to 3 sentences quotes, tho.

Thanks. Yes, now reading through his letters tells me just how deeply he studied the various Religions. Then the way in which he converted such reading into expressing things in ways that conveyed - at least for me and as I see it - so much in as simple a way as possible. Anything but a lightweight.

I'm seriously considering re-reading the book for a fourth time. If so, I shall keep a look out for nuggets of gold! Keeping such quotes short!
Old 16-02-2024, 10:07 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
From a commentary ...3 sentence limit! Published in 1964 btw.
So many younger people don't even know his name. So thank you.
Thanks, your quote of the books blurb sums it up well.
Old 16-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Master

Dogensoto……what is the name of the book you are reading now? Sounds interesting.
Old 16-02-2024, 09:50 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
Dogensoto……what is the name of the book you are reading now? Sounds interesting.

It is "Beyond Theology:The Art of Godmanship"

Here is my own review on Amazon (as "Tariki")

I am reading this book for the third time (in quick succession) alongside the Collected Letters of Alan Watts. I'm not really into saying what others "must read", it is enough that for me, at this moment, Alan Watts has captured and expressed a way of seeing, being and understanding that I now find satisfying. Will that change? Who knows. For now this way of seeing allows so much of what I have learnt previously to be illuminated in fresh and life-giving ways, in that strange way where "progress" is more an unlearning of much that has been assumed, more a stripping towards simplicity than an accumulation of "knowledge".

I'm very much aware of the chequered life story of Mr Watts. However such means little - in fact, means nothing. His words speak here for themselves.
Old 17-02-2024, 09:41 AM
Master

Yes I totally agree with your comments!

Thanks for the title. I’ll see if I can hold of a copy of it.