Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 19-11-2010, 09:35 PM
deepsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
And that is where you're wrong I'm afraid to say. A medium doesn't read a persons anything. A MEDIUM provides proof of life after death by communicating directly with spirit people, channelling evidential messages from loved ones passed to the spirit world S/he is communicating directly with a Spirit person from the other side of life. A PSYCHIC reads/senses a persons aura for want of a better word.

I am afraid I agree with Zandorf.
Maybe it is a label that may have stuck but why should the word 'reading' be wrong?
What would you suggest that we call it?
Deepsea
Old 19-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Enya

Generally, if a person is with a medium, they are receiving a 'sitting'.
I agree with Jules - while a medium may dip in and out of the pyschic reader
level, calling what they do 'reading' is inaccurate.
Old 19-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
Generally, if a person is with a medium, they are receiving a 'sitting'.
I agree with Jules - while a medium may dip in and out of the pyschic reader
level, calling what they do 'reading' is inaccurate.

Yes Enya, the word 'Private Sitting' comes to mind - Also, I remember the days when I attended a few Spiritual Churches, if any medium came to me, I always refered it as, 'I received a message' not a reading.
Old 20-11-2010, 09:03 AM
deepsea

I accept in what you are saying by defining in this way.
After much consideration to analyse the terminology.

A 'sitting' is when one is actually sitting face to face with the medium.
A 'Message' is what we receive in a spiritualist church or with a group of people gathered together.
A 'reading' is what we receive in a written messge given by a medium.

How's that?
Deepsea
Old 20-11-2010, 09:46 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea
I accept in what you are saying by defining in this way.
After much consideration to analyse the terminology.

A 'sitting' is when one is actually sitting face to face with the medium.
A 'Message' is what we receive in a spiritualist church or with a group of people gathered together.
A 'reading' is what we receive in a written messge given by a medium.

How's that?
Deepsea

May I?

Your definition of 'sitting' I'd agree with.

A 'message' is communicated through a medium (evidential mediumship) Where and how is not significant, often/mostly verbal. Without evidence of a communicator's identity, of questionable value.

A 'reading' may be written or verbal but is not a message from a discarnate communicator. Often given by a psychic (a 'reader'), a channeller etc. Psychic/auric in nature, maybe with the practitioner's own input/counselling. Tarot 'reading', 'psychic reading' as examples.

owzat?
Old 20-11-2010, 01:39 PM
deepsea

Oh,alright then................

I'll let you have that one.

Promise it's my turn next time....................

J.
Old 20-11-2010, 01:58 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea
Oh,alright then................

I'll let you have that one.

Promise it's my turn next time....................

J.

Promise I'll try to let you have it next time...
Old 20-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Skye

Quote:
And that is where you're wrong I'm afraid to say. A medium doesn't read a persons anything. A MEDIUM provides proof of life after death by communicating directly with spirit people, channelling evidential messages from loved ones passed to the spirit world S/he is communicating directly with a Spirit person from the other side of life. A PSYCHIC reads/senses a persons aura for want of a better word.

Hi Jules,

a medium is a psychic too, therefore they can tune into a person's energy to receive information pertaining to a recipient before and during any demonstration of mediumship, be it a private sitting or one carried out in a Spiritualist church or spiritual centre. They should be aware of this happening, as well as being honest enough to admit it too. Unfortunately some mediums don't recognise or know the difference.

Some mediums often use their psychic faculty when they first meet a person upon their arrival for a sitting, this doesn't imply the remainder of the sitting will be of a psychic nature, if it is then it's most certainly not a mediumship sitting. I know some mediums start off reading psychically, then if and when a spirit communicator comes forward the whole session changes to a mediumship one.

Although I do understand what you are saying in that the purpose of a medium is to provide evidence of survival by connecting directly to a spirit communicator without using any form of psychic tools or using their psychic faculty.
Old 20-11-2010, 03:37 PM
mac

When trying to define 'medium' it should also be remembered that certain mediums were used to provide a communication channel for the transmission of teaching and guidance from spiritually-evolved individuals.

In these communications there was no intentional evidential mediumship and yet the medium acted as a go-between for discarnate to incarnate communication. In such cases perhaps the term 'channelling' might be more suitable?

Nowadays I increasingly use the term 'evidential medium' where communications are of a personal nature from an identified communicator.
Old 26-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Zandorf

Quote:

Going through my old posts and came across this one, unanswered the quote above was was directed at one of my previous posts.

Yes I completely agree that the Job of a medium is to prove the continuity of life. I was trying to explain to the lady, (not very well, it would seem), how it became known as a reading. Oh, and by the way, all Mediums are Psychic.

A "Reading" is not done on a church platform or evenings of clairvoyance, that is giving messages. Most readings are done in private, and as you are in close proximity of the person you are giving the reading too, you will, maybe unconsciously, read things like their auras and sense things around them, even if you are a medium who chooses not to acknowledge or understand your psychic ability.