Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 16-07-2011, 02:38 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

My understanding of 'self-identity' occurred early in Life.. it was when i identified my individuality as essential to the whole, understanding it as separate and united at the same time.. i became aware that 'self' applied equally to the individual's relationship with others or the 'whole', and.. with the 'whole's' relationship with itself as individuals.. 'self' is an acceptance of the existence of 'you', identity is 'your' relationship with other yous (the last word is particularly interesting).. 'you' as a 'self' have the right to exist, and 'you' are no lesser or greater than the stars or a blade of grass (Desiderata comes to mind).. 'Self' is an observable and experiencable quality and quantity, much more real than many understand..

Be well..
Old 16-07-2011, 02:51 AM
Air Spirit

Self Identity is the self construction of identity by an individual, as opposed to the social identity norm
Old 16-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Air Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
It's stories like this (being 7 or 8 and feeling the way you explained) that makes me believe in reincarnation.
James

Why James?
Old 16-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Master
well, i'll have to admit i've been feeling rather self defensive on this board lately. it's not that the conversations have changed but that the disparagement of ego, the constant harping on the dissolution of self, the sighing expressions of desires to merge into the Source and the exercises suggested to detatch from the self has rubbed me raw. it's like it's the "in thing" to reach the goal of self extermination and i just don't understand.

don't you love Us?
Old 16-07-2011, 03:34 AM
Master
Hello,

May be being simple here, but self identity is how one identifies oneself.

Can be influenced by what one experiences in life and comes to realize for oneself.

It is still, to me, an individualized expression. Personality, voice, tone, even mere presence.

Not separate, but of everything, for the self is also of creation. It is the existence of oneself and after this self is done, the continuance of that which gives life. (energy).

Anything one applies to it, gives it the identity.

As I see it at this time.

Peace
Old 16-07-2011, 03:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Queries
well, i'll have to admit i've been feeling rather self defensive on this board lately. it's not that the conversations have changed but that the disparagement of ego, the constant harping on the dissolution of self, the sighing expressions of desires to merge into the Source and the exercises suggested to detatch from the self has rubbed me raw. it's like it's the "in thing" to reach the goal of self extermination and i just don't understand.

don't you love Us?

I.Q.... This kind of conversation is not about self extermination but self elevation. In gradually letting go of our learned identity we discover our expansive inherent self.

Xan

Old 16-07-2011, 04:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdrum
Self acceptance is important. Then your identity will speak for itself.

Quite right Deus. An excellent observation. I've said it once, but i'll say it again, your a real smart guy. People like you i think.
Old 16-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdrum
Quite right Deus. An excellent observation. I've said it once, but i'll say it again, your a real smart guy. People like you i think.

You think so? Gee, thanks. I've always thought people liked me. Except for those ones who don't like me. I hate those people.

Just kidding actually, we love them too.

Ok sorry, im being weird again.
Old 16-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
I.Q.... This kind of conversation is not about self extermination but self elevation. In gradually letting go of our learned identity we discover our expansive inherent self.

Xan

i'm not referring to this thread, Xan. but the "ego as enemy/self as illusion/dissolve your self and become one with the Source" memes are all over this board. what's so elevating about becoming Id-less?
Old 16-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Topology

Ah but there isn't an actuality of becoming id-less. It is merely the replacement of one story for another. The story of being on the path to transcendence to replace the mundane and ordinary story of being an unhappy being in a perceived adversarial world.