Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 21-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
Here is a quick wrap up of the kundalini journey as experienced, in the form of a Ziket* (* first line 8 syllables, second line 5 syllables)
The energy path is direct
Unmistakable

There being no room for error....
That’s lovely.
Thankyou
Old 13-04-2021, 03:41 AM
Master
The serpent moves

The serpent moves, drawn in by the current
Magnetised emptiness within present
Paths hot and cold are the two narrow grooves
Awakening our single eye sinews
Each node of form, in ecstasy content

Central funnel enables quick ascent
Root to crown; beyond, if not hesitant
Energy balance, in the void ensues
The serpent moves

Divine yearning, within heart resident
Both beginning and end of sentiment
Cosmic egg in head splits! One becomes two
Copulation in heart, bliss throb renews
Our presence hallowed and luminescent
The serpent moves

Rondeau
Old 28-04-2021, 12:13 PM
Master

Somebody on reddit posted some really good questions on Kundalini Awakening, which I took the time to answer. I think I should also post it here, in case anyone's interested. Enjoy.

1. What exactly is Kundalini and how is it experienced, day to day? Is it just something you "use" or does it change the way you exist? Some of the posts I have read here almost seem to suggest that this energy can be turned on and off, like flipping a switch to put it roughly. Many suggest that it helps you learn about yourself, but that's not all it does, is it not? Psychologising yourself is no substitute for Kundalini awakening. A Kundalini awakening, at least as far as I understand it, entails at the starting point an awakening to a previously unknown dimension of spiritual awareness and action and at the end point when Kundalini conquers the Sahasrara Chakra and is fully integrated into you, it entails total enlightenment along the lines of Nirvana. Is that not correct? So in other words, from the start a Kundalini awakening should open up a whole new, different, previously unknown spiritual mode of consciousness/awareness? Does that not entail a sudden and total shift in mode of existence and perception, even if it only becomes perfected at the final stage?

- There is a difference between various stages of Kundalini awakening. Those that you may call “enlightened” are the ones in whom the condition of Kundalini Awakening is a permanent fixture. The actual term is Jivanmukta, Christians would call them saints, Buddhists would refer to them as Bodhisattvas, Jains as Tirtankharas, The point is, the serpent not only rose to the top and pierced the crown (Sahasrara), but is now permanently lodged there and doesn’t descend, ever. We know from Gopi Krishna’s writings that what is required to achieve this is to keep the serpent lodged in the crown for three days and nights. I once almost managed this, during a summer solstice, when I was particularly close to the goddess and the serpent was lodged in the crown for about three days and two nights. Ultimately, I feel short and it descended again, but during that time, it was like there was a sun next to me, I felt constant heat and light emanating, even during the night, when I was trying to sleep (but really couldn’t).

2. How do you distinguish Kundalini energy and its manifestations from a merely physical sensation of the body? Someone has suggested to me before that because of the Kundalini understanding of maya, no distinction is drawn because ultimately it doesn't matter. This seems to check out with my understanding of the tradition, but I still have the nagging feeling that a physical experience would not have the qualitative, spiritual character that I am hoping to obtain.

- Kundalini has many aspects, they can’t be divided from each other. There is a physical level, where there is noticeable neuroelectrical activity that takes place in the nervous system and the brain. There is an energetic aspect, which is closely linked to it. Then there is a spiritual and emotional aspect and finally a divine one, which is union with Brahman.

3. When looking for a teacher, how is one supposed to find anything on Kundalini other than Kundalini Yoga? I am aware that the posters on this subreddit dislike Kundalini Yoga. Having seen the reasons why, this makes sense to me, although admittedly I have not spoken to any proponent of Kundalini Yoga that could offer a different perspective. Nevertheless, the real issue for me is that I have no ties to any "spiritual" circles and looking up "kundalini" on the internet will in 100% of the cases return results about Kundalini Yoga rather than non-Yogic version of the Kundalini tradition, because of the nature of modern search engines and the popularity of Kundalini Yoga. I am consequently at an impasse.

- It’s tough, but Gopi Krishna’s writings remain the best source in my view. Arthur Avalon (Sir John Woodroffe) is also pretty good, if a bit sensationalist. Other than that, anything you can find on Tantra and Shaktism could be helpful.

4. When still looking for a teacher, are there any recommendations on what preparations to undertake in order to make the best, fastest progress in the shortest possible time once a teacher is found? What preliminary work can an aspiring practitioner undertake alone in order to ensure a smooth, fast and easy journey?

- I never had a teacher (couldn’t find one where I lived), so I’ll pass on this one. But, you don’t actually need one, in my view. Sure, it would be much easier that way, but they’re hard to come by, especially if you live in a country with zero reputable teachers or absolutely no tradition in Kundalini or spiritual awakening, like I do. You’d probably have to move countries in most cases, if I’m honest. I once a found a suitable teacher in rural Rajasthan, but he would have required me to leave everything behind and move to the forest with him and his disciples, to devote the rest of my life to Yoga and meditation. I was 23, living half a world away and it was simply not practical for me to leave everything behind at that point. I also don’t know how you would handle the visa situation if you wanted to spend a couple of decades meditating under a tree. Normally you can only stay in India for 6 months as a tourist, and no, Indian immigration won’t care that you’re seeking enlightenment.

5. I have seen some posters here claim that they combine methods from multiple traditions for their own personal spiritual journey. I am drawn to this approach. I have marked out another method I wish to use later on, but it is hard to use without some sort of spiritual basis already achieved and it is difficult to reach that stage since today it's largely a "self-taught" method and it's very difficult to actually verify what consists in successful or unsuccessful practice. I have arrived at the conclusion that learning in the Kundalini tradition and then going with the flow of what I feel would be best, perhaps including the aforementioned method, should suffice to bring my spiritual journey to conclusion, but I am unsure if combining different methods is a good idea.

- If you’re going your own way and forging your own path, which for most people outside South and Southeast Asia, will pretty much be a necessity, I don’t see how you could avoid doing that. You will just have to try what works for you as an individual and stick with it.

6. I initially did not plan to ask this question and the next one, but I feel like I should. I know that in these matters, time is not something that can be calculated, but does it sound plausible for someone with a good teacher to have Kundalini pierce the Sahasrara in three months of serious and fully dedicated practice with some reasonable chance of success?

- Unless you almost got there in a previous life (there would be unmistakable signs of that) and are just completing the process now, that would have to be a no. Years to decades is more realistic if you’re just starting out. Age also matters, Kundalini Awakening usually takes place around age 33 , with a couple of years either side the norm. I simply don’t buy stories of 50-year olds starting from scratch, having never meditated before, achieving full Kundalini awakening in a matter of months.

7. If I recall correctly, I also saw a reputable poster on this subreddit suggest once that there are some techniques that exist which can instantly awaken the full extent of kundalini, presumably in a basically external manner, entirely administered through the teacher - although this second part is just my assumption. Is such a thing really possible? I suspect there would be some drawbacks to this, which I don't currently need to know - I just want to know if it's possible. Similarly, I believe that this is a separate matter from Shaktipaat, which as far as I understand it refers to awakening only the base or starting form of kundalini. I would welcome any corrections to possible misconceptions in that regard as well.

- They can transfer their own Kundalini energy and cause an awakening yes, but it would be more like a glimpse of the real thing, to motivate their students. It would then be up to them to work on themselves to make their Kundalini awakening a self-sustaining process. Masters can also remove blockages that hinder the process.

8. I have seen some posters refer to what they have called "physical kriyas", meaning physical movements that occur without their control and that can even throw them around a couple of metres into this or that direction. This sounds concerning to me, since phenomena of this type seem to entirely contradict the entire purpose of Kundalini - namely, growing and developing ever more advanced forms of self-understanding and self-control. A desire for self-control is one of my reasons for aiming at spiritual enlightenment and the possible existence of phenomena like this has unsettled me. Can anyone please explain this apparent contradiction?

- Kriyas shouldn’t be violent like that if the student is prepared. They are usually quite gentle, more like spasms and convulsions as the energy is trying to escape and overexcited neurons keep firing. Convulsions can get quite intense if a major blockage In a chakra is being cleared, but it will move into a state of bliss and utter relief after that, not unike what happens during and after a sexual orgasm, only this is spiritual in nature.
Old 28-04-2021, 01:24 PM
Master
Great Q&A session, NoOne!

There seems no singular experience of kundalini awakening, in my view, simply because, taking kundalini to be consciousness itself, the coordinates of reference vary, in as the starting point and intent determine the manner of unfoldment.

Then, there is degree or depth of awakening, even if the energy rises, pierces crown and after male and female energies balance to reunite at the heart ... there are layers requiring unveiling, so to speak.

The Bindu point of our consciousness may expand enveloping the universe and it may also contract to ‘see’ the chakras.

Then there is bliss, rapture, ecstasy. Is it sporadic or permanent? The unity consciousness is also graded. For example, subject and object remain, even in the void, in formlessness. Only in samadhi, true singularity is experienced.

In a nutshell, if we are acceptant, the progress, in as to active cognition, is faster. Our resistance is the blockage, stemming from either fear or desire or both.
Old 28-04-2021, 02:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne
Somebody on reddit posted some really good questions on Kundalini Awakening, which I took the time to answer. I think I should also post it here, in case anyone's interested. Enjoy.
1. What exactly is Kundalini and how is it experienced, day to day? Is it just something you "use" or does it change the way you exist?
Ultimately kundalini is Universal Consciousness.

What most people think of the big kundalini moment is really just the initial awakening to energy. Think of it like layers of realization. First you feeling within, then without and then if lucky begin to realize they are one and the same.
Quote:
2. How do you distinguish Kundalini energy and its manifestations from a merely physical sensation of the body? Someone has suggested to me before that because of the Kundalini understanding of maya, no distinction is drawn because ultimately it doesn't matter. This seems to check out with my understanding of the tradition, but I still have the nagging feeling that a physical experience would not have the qualitative, spiritual character that I am hoping to obtain.
From a mere body sensation? It is very much different. Bliss, sexual, throughout your entire body or in certain chakras. Much different than an itch...
Quote:
3. When looking for a teacher, how is one supposed to find anything on Kundalini other than Kundalini Yoga? I am aware that the posters on this subreddit dislike Kundalini Yoga. Having seen the reasons why, this makes sense to me, although admittedly I have not spoken to any proponent of Kundalini Yoga that could offer a different perspective. Nevertheless, the real issue for me is that I have no ties to any "spiritual" circles and looking up "kundalini" on the internet will in 100% of the cases return results about Kundalini Yoga rather than non-Yogic version of the Kundalini tradition, because of the nature of modern search engines and the popularity of Kundalini Yoga. I am consequently at an impasse.
There is nothing wrong with Kundalini yoga. The main problem you will find is that you need a real guru for it to work. Someone who can work with the energy that is you.
Quote:
- It’s tough, but Gopi Krishna’s writings remain the best source in my view. Arthur Avalon (Sir John Woodroffe) is also pretty good, if a bit sensationalist. Other than that, anything you can find on Tantra and Shaktism could be helpful.
Look into Kashmir Shaivism. It is the most advanced tradition if you ask me.
Quote:
4. When still looking for a teacher, are there any recommendations on what preparations to undertak
in order to make the best, fastest progress in the shortest possible time once a teacher is found? What preliminary work can an aspiring practitioner undertake alone in order to ensure a smooth, fast and easy journey?

Meditate and do pranayama if you have a safe one.
Quote:
5. I have seen some posters here claim that they combine methods from multiple traditions for their own personal spiritual journey. I am drawn to this approach. I have marked out another method I wish to use later on, but it is hard to use without some sort of spiritual basis already achieved and it is difficult to reach that stage since today it's largely a "self-taught" method and it's very difficult to actually verify what consists in successful or unsuccessful practice. I have arrived at the conclusion that learning in the Kundalini tradition and then going with the flow of what I feel would be best, perhaps including the aforementioned method, should suffice to bring my spiritual journey to conclusion, but I am unsure if combining different methods is a good idea.
That's a bad idea. You may make a little progress, delude yourself into thinking you have arrived but the traditions are built on centuries of testing, tried and true methods and have been shown to be safe in a progressive manner.
You skip all that thinking you know it all.
Quote:
6. I initially did not plan to ask this question and the next one, but I feel like I should. I know that in these matters, time is not something that can be calculated, but does it sound plausible for someone with a good teacher to have Kundalini pierce the Sahasrara in three months of serious and fully dedicated practice with some reasonable chance of success?
The practice is about you letting go of your obstructions, your fears and issues. It's a matter of you letting go. Anything is possible but the wanting.. that will hold you back. It always does.
7. If I recall correctly, I also saw a reputable poster on this subreddit suggest once that there are some techniques that exist which can instantly awaken the full extent of kundalini, presumably in a basically external manner, entirely administered through the teacher - although this second part is just my assumption. Is such a thing really possible?

You should read the Shiva Sutras. The only way possible is for a realized being to share himself with you, to bring you to deeper levels of clarity. It is up to you to let go and realize your true nature. The trick is that it's very hard not to flinch.
Quote:
- They can transfer their own Kundalini energy and cause an awakening yes, but it would be more like a glimpse of the real thing, to motivate their students. It would then be up to them to work on themselves to make their Kundalini awakening a self-sustaining process. Masters can also remove blockages that hinder the process.
I would agree that masters can do such things :)
Quote:
8. I have seen some posters refer to what they have called "physical kriyas", meaning physical movements that occur without their control and that can even throw them around a couple of metres into this or that direction. This sounds concerning to me, since phenomena of this type seem to entirely contradict the entire purpose of Kundalini - namely, growing and developing ever more advanced forms of self-understanding and self-control. A desire for self-control is one of my reasons for aiming at spiritual enlightenment and the possible existence of phenomena like this has unsettled me. Can anyone please explain this apparent contradiction?

Just energy hitting on obstructions, ignore it and continue on with your practice.
Quote:
- Kriyas shouldn’t be violent like that if the student is prepared. They are usually quite gentle, more like spasms and convulsions as the energy is trying to escape and overexcited neurons keep firing. Convulsions can get quite intense if a major blockage In a chakra is being cleared, but it will move into a state of bliss and utter relief after that, not unike what happens during and after a sexual orgasm, only this is spiritual in nature.
They are violent because of the depth of the obstruction and how strongly the person is holding on. Letting go is always the key.
Old 29-04-2021, 11:11 AM
Legrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Letting go is always the key.

Hello jonesboy, it's been a while.

Yes as simple as that.

Regards.
Old 29-04-2021, 12:26 PM
Master

Thanks guys, great points.

A few further points of clarification:

“ According to the posts of some users here, it is good for a kundalini practitioner to centre himself around his heart chakra rather than the crown. Does this type of centring refer to a different concept than what you just mentioned, or would it be expected that a fully enlightened man centres himself around his crown chakra, always? If these are two different concepts (centring and kundalini location), you don't have to explain the difference to me - just saying that they are different would be sufficient.”

I don’t think there is any consensus on this. It would probably depend on the individual, their life path and what they actually want to do with the Kundalini power. Some Yogis actually keep their power centred on the lower chakras and can thus manifest certain siddhis based on what they need. A typical example would be keeping the power centred around the second chakra (if I’m not mistaken) to cause the whole body to heat up, to the extent that they can melt snow around them. This is useful in cold climates or when they are exposed to the elements, meditating in the Himalayas. Different power centres can result in different siddhis, as described by Sir John Woodroffe in his books, although I would take this with a grain of salt, most seem to be little more than fairytales or are highly exaggerated. The heart plays a certain role, the crown yet another one. What I can tell you about the crown is that it is known as the mouth of heaven. It is called thus, because of its dual role, as the mouth that speaks to heaven and heavenly beings (Devas), but is also the mouth that drinks of the Soma / Amrita, which is known as Nectar or Ambrosia in our culture. In my view, if you want to partake of the Soma, you have to be centred on your crown and this is how you can also effectively interact with higher beings. That’s not to say that the heart centre should be neglected, far from it, but it all depends on how much of your time and energy you want to expend interacting with and helping others on this earthly plane as opposed to interacting with heavenly realms.

“I think that I am most interested in what you would call the spiritual or divine aspect, assuming you are using the word spiritual in the sense that I think you are using it. The challenge for me is that I have no experience of spiritual or divine things, at least as far as I am aware, so I do not know if I would be able to distinguish such experiences from purely physical or emotional sensations. I don't think I have any experience with energies either, so I am not confident I could distinguish those either, but I don't know how important they actually are, so I am more concerned about the spiritual aspect.”

Sure you do, you just haven’t realised it yet, because your attention is focussed on other, external phenomena. If you look inside, you will notice the subtle energies and spiritual manifestations that interact with your physical body all the time. Each chakra is responsible for a different type of energy. You get cold feet, you’re warm-hearted, you have a lump in your throat, you have a flash of realisation, etc… these are all encoded in our language, but people are too preoccupied with other things to notice these subtleties. Communion with the divine however is not an everyday occurrence, you need to work on raising your energies (in other words, your serpent), your vibrations, so that you are compatible with spiritual realms and can access those energies. Essentially, you have to tune yourself like a radio and find the right frequency for the station you’re looking for. Mantras help, but conscious, attentive and introspective meditation, where you observe and fine-tune the energetic and spiritual phenomena arising in your body, is the best way.

“ Would this pose any problems in daily life? Say, for example, you are at work and a kriya suddenly throws you to the floor. It sounds like a trivial issue, but if kriyas are spontaneous and recurring it could be a serious problem, I think. Not to mention that depending on the environment, it might be physically dangeorus, too - for example, if you are working in construction or at an oil rig. Even when considering subtler movements, it would probably be a bit awkward, at least. “

Not if you’re in control of your energies and regulate their flow. I only have kriyas when I meditate. They are little spasms and convulsions that indicate energy is being released from that particular area. Once the flow is unblocked, it becomes pleasantly smooth, even blissful. Little spasms might also happen when I am engaged in contemplating or reading spiritual material, whenever I go into a relaxed state or concentrate on spiritual matters. It does not interfere with my day job, but I am no longer undergoing spiritual awakening. Currently, I am in the state of Urdhvareta, which is about transforming and transubstantiating sexual energies and substances into a higher form, by turning them around at the root and allowing them to stream upwards into the brain. This does have some thankfully largely invisible effects during the day. Without wanting to get graphic, I may experience orgasmic sensations, along with the muscle contractions that would normally go with it, all throughout the day. I barely notice them now, but they certainly keep occurring. The more extreme kriyas you talk about generally occur in the beginning stages of Kundalini Awakening and then mostly become an issue if the person did not do sufficient preparatory work on themselves.
Old 29-04-2021, 09:20 PM
Deactivated Account
its been my experience that everything is open but if there is a focus, being focused from the center or even from the root makes the most since. to me its better to have more power coming from below than above since we want to be in our body and manifest the experience for others in a body and in life. yet everything is open and all working as one engine. but im not speaking to spiritual gifts but only of bliss and silence.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 30-04-2021, 07:11 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by running
its been my experience that everything is open but if there is a focus, being focused from the center or even from the root makes the most since. to me its better to have more power coming from below than above since we want to be in our body and manifest the experience for others in a body and in life. yet everything is open and all working as one engine. but im not speaking to spiritual gifts but only of bliss and silence.

Yes, it's different for everybody, I'd say. We all have different preferences and life paths, some prefer to concentrate on the here and now and the people around them, whereas others "walk in the clouds" or "walk with the gods", so to speak. The great thing about Kundalini is that it allows you to choose your own path and concentrate on what really matters to you.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:07 AM
Master
A new grid is in focus ... starting between eyebrows, rising vertically above third eye, guru chakra, Sahasrara, over top, rolling over rear of head to Bindu, Medulla, halfway along spine, when it plonks inwards into the heart centre, thus connecting, as it were, third eye, crown and heart. I have not come across this in any scriptures.

Why I mention this is owing to its assimilation, consolidation of sorts, in permanence, just like constant current from palms and feet, with of course, purring bliss in renewal.

I don’t know what this signifies yet. Whatever does not come and go, like manifestations or one time revelations, becomes an embodiment of being.