Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 23-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Master
Glad you brought those points up. After receiving serving after serving of how bad Christianity is, it is refreshing to know somebody looks at what religions are - and they are not all bad.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 23-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Master
As for Buddhism, I really like how Buddhist love their parents and help them out in their older years.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 24-12-2019, 08:28 AM
hazada guess

Here in the UK we don't have capital punishment any more,just imprisonment and rehabilitation.It seems to me that people are only religious when it suits them.
Old 24-12-2019, 09:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazada guess
Here in the UK we don't have capital punishment any more,just imprisonment and rehabilitation.It seems to me that people are only religious when it suits them.

Where I live, the land once was once under the control of Spain. When the citizens revolted, the land became under Mexican control. When Mexico sold the land to the US, it became under US control.

Our first mayor/justice of the peace under US control was a chap who administered the law and justice in a unique way. Being we did not have a jail during that period, he would administer sentencing by giving lashings to the prisoner. Half now and the other half at a later date. The person would move after the first set of lashings and would never came back for the rest of their sentence. This type of punishment kept the crime rate down.

Currently, I live in Arizona. We now have the original 'London Bridge'. In days long gone, the original London Bridge was used for executions especially those dealing with 'high crimes and misdemeanors'.

Old 24-12-2019, 09:52 AM
Master

It really depends on how you define "conservative". If you mean which modern, currently existing religion preserved its ancient traditions and teachings the most, then Judaism and Hinduism are obvious candidates.

Hinduism is a lot more eclectic though, preserving varying traditions under one umbrella, even when they're very different to each other. I guess some versions of Buddhism, especially Lamaism and Tantra are also incredibly ancient in their roots and preserve very old, pre-civilisational traditions.

If your definition of conservative tends more towards the political spectrum, as in wanting to preserve nuclear families, the sanctity of marriage, being pro-life, prayer in schools, that sort of thing, then Islam is probably top dog, but every religion is basically conservative in its political leanings.
Old 25-12-2019, 12:31 AM
Master
INTERESTING PERSPECTIVES

from what appears from a wiseman.

Being you brought up two perspectives, let's look at both angles you presented.

Old 25-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazada guess

I'm old enough to remember the day when Derek Bentley was hanged in the UK, a nineteen-year-old boy who killed a policeman and whose death proclaimed a great change in the public's thinking about justice. I was about 15 at the time and it was the moment when the Establishment took to the stage in my life. There is no doubt that he did kill but lots of doubt as to whether the force of the law should have been applied in his case.

The whole of the UK seemed to stand still on the morning he was executed and I think we were all ashamed of ourselves.

All religions whether 'conservative' or not (I don't understand such a definition) are morally twisted. Listening to these people and then seeing their actions show their words and worlds in a true light.
Quoting and knowing the Bible and all the other 'good' books is just a waste of time. It's only your thoughts and your actions that count - just as missionaries ruined Africa so have 'good-doers' ruined the world.

Maybe you have just seen in the newspapers how many children have been raped in Haiti by the 'helpers'.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 25-12-2019, 08:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
I'm old enough to remember the day when Derek Bentley was hanged in the UK, a nineteen-year-old boy who killed a policeman and whose death proclaimed a great change in the public's thinking about justice. I was about 15 at the time and it was the moment when the Establishment took to the stage in my life. There is no doubt that he did kill but lots of doubt as to whether the force of the law should have been applied in his case.

The whole of the UK seemed to stand still on the morning he was executed and I think we were all ashamed of ourselves.

All religions whether 'conservative' or not (I don't understand such a definition) are morally twisted. Listening to these people and then seeing their actions show their words and worlds in a true light.
Quoting and knowing the Bible and all the other 'good' books is just a waste of time. It's only your thoughts and your actions that count - just as missionaries ruined Africa so have 'good-doers' ruined the world.

Maybe you have just seen in the newspapers how many children have been raped in Haiti by the 'helpers'.

I didn't know anything about Derek Bentley. Just looked this up. Seems he was pardoned in 1993.
Old 26-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
What are the most conservative religions.Especially if they predominate one nation.

One religion I have found to be extremely conservative is Buddhism.

Please talk freely on the subject.

Hey BigJohn,

I would define conservatism as a perspective that seeks to keep things as they are, as close to how things are done and have been done for a considerable amount of time. It focusses heavily on ''identity'', be that religion, culture, or fixed attitudes towards gender behaviour and sexuality. Liberalism on the other hand is focussed on individualism and loosening things up, changing traditions if the time is ripe for it. On the former we see more focus on tradition & collectivism and on the latter more focus on freedom & individualism.

Religions are generally conservative though there is much variety within most religions as there are always different sects and denominations. I think Islam would be the most conservative religion overall. In Islamic societies we have seen a lot of resistance to change and counter-movements. Hinduism, especially Vaishanavism, can also be quite conservative. Islam and Hinduism can be very fatalistic and fatalism aligns perfectly with a conservative mindset. The caste system for example, and telling people they are where they are because of a past life and because they can't be or do any better in this life, is a more conservative attitude. To suggest people could rise above that is a very radical idea as far as religions are concerned. The belief that everything in nature is fixed and cyclical, and the complete lack of surprise of any kind in the universe, are also clear signs of conservatism.

I would say Christianity can be one of the more liberal religions overall, because it's situated heavily in modern, capitalist societies, but also because Christians can just focus on individualism, faith, helping the poor no matter if they've been bad, and letting God be the final judge. Of course you have many Christians who aren't like that at all. However, it's good to know that the 18th century Enlightenment, or 'Age of Reason' and rise of liberalism, was shaped by Christian deists with liberal attitudes. Perhaps this is why it's seen as a 'western' religion.

I don't know enough about Buddhism and its impact on its societies to comment meaningfully on it.

Last edited by Altair : 26-12-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 26-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Master
I REALLY ENJOYED YOUR WELL THOUGHT OUT COMMENTS.

Your mention of the Hindu caste system reminded me of where I live in Arizona, USA when we were under Spanish and later Mexican rule which both were under a caste system. Remnants of the caste system still remains today.