Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 27-04-2021, 01:09 AM
Master

self-realization

I read / heard people that are self-realized, and have no doubt they are and know "thee" truth.

I personally know people that talk to the Christian God on a regular basis, and have no doubt they do that.

There are such people in all religions, including atheism, scientism.

How do you know they're honest in their claims? How do you know they aren't delusional? If you are one of the above, how do you know you aren't delusional?

Is there any litmus test for not being delusional?

I surely have my beliefs, but I allow for the possibility that some of them are incorrect, and I am looking forward for corrections and more clarity. I can't imagine anybody being 100% sure they know "thee" truth.

It is also interesting that "thee" truth knowing claimants from each group have group specific behavior. If the bigotism and fanaticism of some of those are scary, the condescending attitude manifested with predilection in some groups like non-dualists (Westerners more than Easterners), atheists, scientists is ridiculous.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 27-04-2021, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
How do you know they're honest in their claims? How do you know they aren't delusional?
If you are one of the above, how do you know you aren't delusional?
This is my input.
YOU won't know. However, the person having the direct experience does know.

How do you yourself know you're not delusional ...because the Doors of Perception in the brain have been opened and you 'see'.
You 'see'...clearly for the first time....what really 'is'.
It reminds me of one of the children that died and 'came back'
in the hospital ...and talked about
being someplace else, when asked where...he said in a different world..."You know, the real world."
He knew where he had been was more real than 'here'.
Ref Raymond Moody, MD's first book.

Is there a litmus test for 'others' to know it's true or delusional...no.
I've seen a UFO so close and slow and silent I was motionless watching it over the tree tops...do I know what I saw? Of course.
Can I even convince anyone else...Nope.

But, if a person doesn't have a clear sense if themselves, maybe has a mental illness, he could go bonkers...many have.
As they say - There is a fine line between the guy in an institution and a saint.
The nutty guy may think he's God or George Washington ...and he is committed.
The saint calmly takes it in and knows he is correct...we all are.

Ha, I can't imagine anyone that has exp'd ...'whatever you call it' ...'Reality' would be condescending!
It's the most exciting, joyous and humbling exp ever.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 27-04-2021, 03:47 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
This is my input.
YOU won't know. However, the person having the direct experience does know.
How do you yourself know you're not delusional ...because the Doors of Perception in the brain have been opened and you 'see'.
You wrote:
"However, the person having the direct experience does know"
What would be the difference vs. a hallucination, or a dream? It is just what one chooses to believe, more or less consciously. Such effects can be relatively easily obtained through hypnosis, and can involve any or all of the subject's physical senses (with drugs too).

People who had such revealing spiritual experiences come with different stories about "thee" truth. That means that all but one (if any) can be accurate, isn't it? So what about the others that also honestly believe that they "do know"?

As I wrote in my opening post, I personally know people who are absolutely sure they converse with God, who shows himself to them during prayer. They would pass any mental health test, but fervently believe in their experiences. They "do know".

Think also about all those honest mediums, that present a completely different picture than the self-realized non-dualists.

I believe that no one who is still here can 100% be sure of knowing "thee" truth, of having experienced it, or having had a glimpse of it.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 27-04-2021, 04:19 AM
Quote:
You wrote:"However, the person having the direct experience does know
"
What would be the difference vs. a hallucination, or a dream?
It is a ques I have never thought about.
I guess cuz I know a dream is a dream and never had an hallucination.
I don't have any comment on that.

On another forum an old woman, Mary Baker, lived in a trailer, was up to no good at 15 yrs old with a friend...ha...
they were running across a cotton field to a boys place in Arkansas.
When all of a sudden BOTH of them had a vision of a person (she later recognized as Jesus),
that stopped them and said stuff. (Wow!)

She considered this a life changing exp ...and she changed all her ways.
She was a one pointed focused person and I expect she has passed.

Was that an hallucination or a vision from another realm appearing here
for a reason? I would say a vision.

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 27-04-2021, 04:29 AM
As far as knowing thee truth...consider what I have written here before...
Picture God as a multi-faceted diamond. One may approach it from the bottom left and that facet reflects back a blue boy with a flute.
Another person looks at a facet on another side and sees a bearded robed man.
But these come from the same source.

The 5 blind men feeling an elephant for the 1st x...one comes back and describes it as being like a leathery rope.
Another like a rough flat huge thing...and so on...
So ALL of the Truth is probably not known by a living person; only parts...good deduction.

Rem - 2 sentences in quote boxes, rather than the whole long quote...as per the Admins.

Old 27-04-2021, 04:33 AM
Master

Quote:
It is a ques I have never thought about.
I guess cuz I know a dream is a dream and never had an hallucination.
I don't have any comment on that.

On another forum an old woman, Mary Baker, lived in a trailer, was up to no good at 15 yrs old with a friend...ha...
they were running across a cotton field to a boys place in Arkansas.
When all of a sudden BOTH of them had a vision of a person (she later recognized as Jesus),
that stopped them and said stuff. (Wow!)

She considered this a life changing exp ...and she changed all her ways.
She was a one pointed focused person and I expect she has passed.

Was that an hallucination or a vision from another realm appearing here
for a reason? I would say a vision.

Exactly. This is, in my opinion, as valid as any non-dual realization, and less pretentious.
Old 27-04-2021, 04:45 AM
Master

Quote:
As far as knowing thee truth...consider what I have written here before...
Picture God as a multi-faceted diamond. One may approach it from the bottom left and that facet reflects back a blue boy with a flute.
Another person looks at a facet on another side and sees a bearded robed man.
But these come from the same source.
The multifaceted diamond / God model isn't congruent with the non-dualist self-realization.

Non-dualists claim a self-realization that explains everything, after which there can be nothing more to know. They've seen all the facets which are only one, or even better ... none.
Old 28-04-2021, 06:23 AM
Master

tests

Quote:
How do you know they're honest in their claims? How do you know they aren't delusional? If you are one of the above, how do you know you aren't delusional?

I surely have my beliefs, but I allow for the possibility that some of them are incorrect, and I am looking forward for corrections and more clarity. I can't imagine anybody being 100% sure they know "thee" truth.

It is also interesting that "thee" truth knowing claimants from each group have group specific behavior. If the bigotism and fanaticism of some of those are scary, the condescending attitude manifested with predilection in some groups like non-dualists (Westerners more than Easterners), atheists, scientists is ridiculous.

Inconsistency in logic , vested material interests , poor psychology ,only unapplied theory in life , imbalanced negative outlook , pessimistic passive life, divergent thoughts ,speeches and action - are some of the elements people can be less realized (not preferring to call them delusional) . This may only be a stage in life to more realization . If its done with vested material interests to the detriment of others , it can be termed malicious .

Another thing is there is nobody absolute realized like God . And also there is nobody unrealized in life . The only difference is in terms of degree , intensity and granularity .

Last edited by HITESH SHAH : 28-04-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 30-04-2021, 10:11 PM
Master

from my own studies it came out quite simply. This place is designed such that it is impossible to know 'thee' truth but astoundingly simple to vainly assume you can have enough information to do so anyway. So by definition, anyone who makes the claim is lost, at least for the moment.

You can see parts of it, depending on where you are is what you see. Kinda like you choose a side of the diamond to stand on and all you see is the facets facing that side. But a claim to see the whole thing just can't have a basis in reality. And that is by design. And without seeing the whole thing, how can you know the whole truth?
Old 30-04-2021, 10:30 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
from my own studies it came out quite simply. This place is designed such that it is impossible to know 'thee' truth but astoundingly simple to vainly assume you can have enough information to do so anyway. So by definition, anyone who makes the claim is lost, at least for the moment.

You can see parts of it, depending on where you are is what you see. Kinda like you choose a side of the diamond to stand on and all you see is the facets facing that side. But a claim to see the whole thing just can't have a basis in reality. And that is by design. And without seeing the whole thing, how can you know the whole truth?
It attracted my attention that you wrote "by design".

I can't easily imagine a reality in which you are born all-knowing, then you devolve toward a final ignorance.

Maybe I don't want to imagine such a reality, which would implode instead of expand.

That's why I have such a hard time to accept the possibility that "enlightenment", even "self-realization" would show one that the end result would be "no-thought", "no-differentiation".