Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 18-02-2021, 12:55 AM
Newbie ;)

Smile Metta (or loving kindness)

I don't understand why some people think that metta meditation is inferior to other types of meditation when it allows us to tap into the love and compassion within us, which tends to lead to better relationships in personal life, business, and other areas...

I guess it's not fair to judge meditation based on its utility in everyday life, but I feel like it at least deserves more mention and respect because it reminds us to let go of the ego and embrace the oneness of things.

It's unfortunate that people have to compare different types of meditation when it's best for us to just use what works for us and not shame others for choosing different paths.
Old 18-02-2021, 03:27 AM
Master

Agree ......
Old 18-02-2021, 04:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dawn
I don't understand why some people think that metta meditation is inferior to other types of meditation when it allows us to tap into the love and compassion within us, which tends to lead to better relationships in personal life, business, and other areas...

I guess it's not fair to judge meditation based on its utility in everyday life, but I feel like it at least deserves more mention and respect because it reminds us to let go of the ego and embrace the oneness of things.

It's unfortunate that people have to compare different types of meditation when it's best for us to just use what works for us and not shame others for choosing different paths.

I wouldn't rank metta meditation as inferior but it works in conjunction with mindfulness rather than as something a seperate.

Mindfulness is for purification or healing, overcoming sorrow/trauma, staying the path of truth, and liberation. After a reasonable degree of purification, the love of the universe rises through the life-form, which is the metta aspect of meditation. If you are not spontaneously radiating loving-kindness you would continue mindfulness for further purification, but if loving kindness is radiating spontaneously, you could enhance that with deliberate practice as well.

To practice metta, one should ensure that their intent is pure. If mentally agitated/unsettled, one is likely to emanate negativity rather than loving kindness, in which case you'd be best off continuing with mindfulness until the agitation subsides and a more positive mind-state arises. Then you can be quite sure your metta meditation will emanate positivity untarnished by any angst.

In this sense, metta is different to mindfulness, but not really separate from it.
Old 18-02-2021, 08:49 AM
Master

Agree ....
Old 19-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Knower
I learned metta meditation as one of the 4 sublime abodes through an online course a few years ago. I can agree it's not inferior, though I've not come across people judging, but it is less popular I'd say in my totally random experience. However the sublime abodes didn't gel with me for some reason, I seem to gravitate towards less structured techniques. I don't find it 'natural' somehow to try and change my emotional state in a deliberate way; in any case I still become more compassionate with the practice of other meditation techniques. Each to their own I say