Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 20-12-2020, 10:58 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Which big question(s) did you get out of Vikings?

God vs gods.

I am in the latter camp and it was pretty interesting to see the clash of Polytheism and Monotheism from a historical viewpoint. I have a lot of sympathy for Vikings and how they held on to their traditions and their gods until the bitter end. This final season will be an attempt to settle it, with the Monotheists trying to end the "Heathen" way of life once and for all.
Old 20-12-2020, 11:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne
God vs gods.

I am in the latter camp and it was pretty interesting to see the clash of Polytheism and Monotheism from a historical viewpoint. I have a lot of sympathy for Vikings and how they held on to their traditions and their gods until the bitter end. This final season will be an attempt to settle it, with the Monotheists trying to end the "Heathen" way of life once and for all.

Interesting, thanks.
I have sympathy for them as well..

Have to say though, both traditions have something going for them. The Christians seem more forgiving and obviously carried the knowledge of Rome at their back. Written history, books, laws. OTOH, the vikings have more a free spirit about them, the same spirit I believe returned again centuries later when Northern/Central Europeans sought to distance themselves from Rome and make their own decisions.

The Last Kingdom is also on Netflix, I don't know if you've seen it. It's a good show though they handle the vikings more as cartoonish villains.
Old 20-12-2020, 11:44 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Interesting, thanks.
I have sympathy for them as well..

Have to say though, both traditions have something going for them. The Christians seem more forgiving and obviously carried the knowledge of Rome at their back. Written history, books, laws. OTOH, the vikings have more a free spirit about them, the same spirit I believe returned again centuries later when Northern/Central Europeans sought to distance themselves from Rome and make their own decisions.

The Last Kingdom is also on Netflix, I don't know if you've seen it. It's a good show though they handle the vikings more as cartoonish villains.

Yeah, the Last Kingdom is on my to do list, but in general, medieval European history, especially during the dark ages, depresses me, so I haven't started watching it yet.

Not sure if I can think of many highlights for Christianity during the dark ages, it is all-round depressing, with perhaps Ireland and the Eastern Roman Empires being partial exceptions, at least for a while.
Old 20-12-2020, 11:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Yeah, the Last Kingdom is on my to do list, but in general, medieval European history, especially during the dark ages, depresses me, so I haven't started watching it yet.

Not sure if I can think of many highlights for Christianity during the dark ages, it is all-round depressing, with perhaps Ireland and the Eastern Roman Empires being partial exceptions, at least for a while.

High Middle Ages might be more to your liking. Return of Greek philosophy, creation of universities, lots of colourful clothing, nice music, beautiful churches. Not as grim and all ruins as in many movies/series, where they can't show the splendour because of budgets.

I'm a medieval nerd though!

But if you like polytheism.. then yeah, one has to get back further in time (Europe at least).
Old 21-12-2020, 02:01 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Yeah, the Last Kingdom is on my to do list,

I really enjoyed The Last Kingdom

One huge thing I loved about it is the good guys don't all die or lose fights
so tired of that in series and movies

hey directors/writers, its ok to have the good guys win sometimes!

game of thrones, vikings...walking dead, yellowstone(all good guys may be dead its a end of season cliff hanger), so depressing when the writers always have the good guys lose or be killed...why is that supposed to be entertaining?

i really liked homeland too, not sure what platform that is on
Old 21-12-2020, 05:42 AM
Master
My Netflix series that I watch are: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (2010 reboot) F is for Family this animated cartoon show is about a middle-class suburban family it takes place in the 1970s. I'm glad the show is not set in modern times, if it was anime it would be most likely to be set in modern or the Feudal era. She-Ra Princess of power (2020 reboot) .
Old 21-12-2020, 08:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
I really enjoyed The Last Kingdom

One huge thing I loved about it is the good guys don't all die or lose fights
so tired of that in series and movies

hey directors/writers, its ok to have the good guys win sometimes!

game of thrones, vikings...walking dead, yellowstone(all good guys may be dead its a end of season cliff hanger), so depressing when the writers always have the good guys lose or be killed...why is that supposed to be entertaining?

The Last Kingdom, refreshing as the hero wins.

i really liked homeland too, not sure what platform that is on

Interesting point..

I understand your frustration, though I'd say deaths can add to the story as long as they're meaningful and improve the story. Many deaths in Game of Thrones were just random and made me think ''Why was this character part of the show to begin with?'' Say Stannis Baratheon, his death makes his entire story in the show pointless. I like it when deaths of big characters are intricately connected to the narrative as a whole, and bring development to other characters.

The deaths in Vikings, of important characters, did add something to the show. There is character development and there is retribution. It has a purpose to the story as later revealed. In Game of Thrones you rarely have that, it's just a large number of characters that are very loosely connected. An example of a story that tries to do too much... too many characters, too many places. Works in an MMO rpg video game, but doesn't necessarily make a meaningful story.

Anyway.. ramblings over.

Last edited by Altair : 21-12-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 21-12-2020, 11:53 AM
Deactivated Account
After Life, Ricky Gervais
Old 31-12-2020, 12:31 PM
Seeker

The Dark Crystal

I thought the Dark Crystal film was so brilliant that I expected the series to be absolutely junk but it was superb, I highly recommend it. It describes exactly what is happening on this prison planet.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus
I thought the Dark Crystal film was so brilliant that I expected the series to be absolutely junk but it was superb, I highly recommend it. It describes exactly what is happening on this prison planet.

The series is much better IMO. I'm going through my second run. It's well written with every bit of lore connecting to the whole.
I think they should make season II. There's just so much stuff to work with!