Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 21-02-2022, 01:29 PM
hazada guess

Should people make a career out of their gift?

As the title say's. Just thought I'd start a thread on this subject of mediums making a living out of mediumship.
I'll leave it here and study any replies.
Old 21-02-2022, 02:28 PM
''... the person wrote a book and he didn't do it for free.'' BigJohn

Right. And should he not have?
If a person is independently rich --that could be a diff story.

A friend of 33 yrs, lives a mile away now...waited a long time to see James Van Praagh in California...and it was not free.
He moved on to being paid, of course, for advising in the making of 'The Ghost Whisperer,' a USA TV show,
5 seasons...became an Exec Producer, even.
Good for him.

Why 'should' his time be free, I dunno...he has expenses...maybe he should work in some company?
When would he have time to see all his clients or write his books?
He has a gift for writing...and he should be paid.
Same as musicians/composers/painters-artists with a gift.
Even Beethoven got paid...and he had the gift of hearing the music in his head.

If anyone can not see the logic and fairness in this...they may never.

Funny we had a big garden growing up and we had puppies for sale often.
A common sentence my mom said when I was little was, "Everybody wants something for free."
I think my dad took bags of veggies to work, maybe, in bags for sale...came back with stories...
like people thought they should be gifts.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 21-02-2022, 02:31 PM
BigJohn - I pressed EDIT instead of Quote...and accidentally erased your short post... can you forgive me and post it again!!!
It was maybe 2 sentences I rem. I hate when I do these stupid things! It's a gift.

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 21-02-2022, 02:40 PM
Master
It appears that when the word 'Medium' was first used, it was used in a book that described the author's work as a Medium.
People had to pay for the book.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 21-02-2022, 06:16 PM
Deactivated Account
This thread asks "Should people make a careeer out of their gift?" in connection with mediumship.

I would guess - because I can't provide data - that comparatively few mediums make a career from their gifts, a few more make a good living and the remainder achieve something less.

I don't tell others what they should do with their gifts or their lives and that includes mediums. It's an interesting question whether mediumship should be considered a gift although I'm familiar with the phrase 'gifts of the spirit'.

Perhaps the fundamental ability could be seen a gift but the subsequent honing of that gift over years or decades isn't. That demands dedication from the medium to be "the best they can be" and such dedication may also involve a considerable monetary cost to the medium. Do we expect them to give both their dedication and their money so others can benefit? There's the rub...

In an ideal world every medium would be able to support herself while giving freely of her time without needing to make a charge for her services. Oh to live in such an ideal world!

The reality is that life is far from ideal and mediums may spend much of their time in the service of the spirit, unable to support themselves financially without making a charge for their services.

The upshot is that there is no single approach that will be right for every medium.
Old 21-02-2022, 06:21 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazada guess
As the title say's. Just thought I'd start a thread on this subject of mediums making a living out of mediumship. I'll leave it here and study any replies.
You've started this thread so why not give your view? None of us can ever be authoritative about this subject because there is no single approach that is either right or wrong. It's down to what each individual feels right for her/him.
Old 21-02-2022, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
...I don't tell others what they should do with their gifts or their lives and that includes mediums.
And there it is. Perfect. :)
Hazada is taking a break...and just to fill in for him ...we already know what he thinks...they should not charge.
I can't rem why.
I think he was smart to say he would study the replies.
He and I may disagree sometimes ...but he is no dummy.

He did say career...if they are that good and sought after...go for it, I say! Good for YOU!
(Who knows what hell you've gone thru in past lives to reach this one! Who the heck am I to say anything...
Next life you could be born, crippled, blind and deaf in poverty....so enjoy being a gifted person now.
Soak in all you can.)
That is MY perspective. I know my place in the scheme of things...and it is not to judge others...
even those idiots that disagree with me. It's a Gift. Ha! Lol

Old 21-02-2022, 07:31 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
He did say career.......
People often use one word but mean another, though. I've been on forum-based websites long enough to know that people write quickly without thinking long enough (it appears that way) and without checking what they've written - that's often unmistakable.

One might ask how a career in mediumship differs from making one's living at it? Or perhaps he really meant should some mediums charge so much for their services and/or are the well-known ones making unreasonable charges for their gifts?

My take is that if people are happy with what they've been charged and the outcome then that's fine and dandy but I'm also aware that particularly in the US - where I presently am - there's a dearth of mediums compared with the situation in the UK (my homeland) and about which I have a more detailed knowledge.

From contacts and from reading accounts some of the charges for mediumship in the US look eye-wateringly high to me; the kind of charge a professionally-qualified person might charge for a service they had studied for years to become qualified in and certified by a well-established professional body.

I'm thankful that if I were to need a medium (usually I'm looking to find one for someone else) I can find one who will charge in the region of tems of pounds for a personal sitting or even less. And in our churches a person may be lucky enough to get a contact while attending a public demonstration of mediumship for which there is a tiny attendance charge.
Old 21-02-2022, 10:19 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
And there it is. Perfect. :)
Hazada is taking a break......we already know what he thinks...they should not charge.
I can't rem why.
I did see he was taking a break but he's interested enough to start a discussion thread for this subject. It would be interesting to again hear why he's so against mediums doing what he disapproves of.
Old 22-02-2022, 08:53 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazada guess
As the title say's. Just thought I'd start a thread on this subject of mediums making a living out of mediumship.
I'll leave it here and study any replies.
To some people, if they pay for something it has value. If people value the message then it's between the person and the medium. I won't charge because I see it as a service, and when people have pressed me I've charged a packet of biscuits. Often it's just the way they're brought up.

If someone is going to dedicate their Life to it then they have bills to pay, and supermarkets need better currency than good will. Usually though, mediums have day jobs. What I will say is that some mediums hire halls and the like and obviously that needs paying for, but sometimes they're pricing themselves out of the market.

If so many other people can make money out of their gifts and talents, what makes mediums so different?