Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 02-07-2021, 01:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123

You got it , as I thought that you would!

This Taoist thread is going deeper and deeper while showing the limitations of language to express what is inexpressible.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
No hypocrisy, that's a Quote from Lao Tzu, (Tao Teh Ching )
' The Tao which can be spoken is not the true Tao.' , that's what He's referring to...
Amen ! This is really a fun dialogue.

Here's another one:

70 (beginning):

My words are very easy to understand,
very easy to put into practice.

But you can't "understand" them,
can't put them into "practice".

This may sound like gobbley-gook ... but it's actually quite profound. This ties into the "not knowing" dialogues here.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:45 PM
Master
QUOTE 75 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
"..input from the 5 senses", eh? Any logic we're basing on our senses is so woefully
limited that nothing really can be trusted using it!
Why, an eagle sees more than we can.
WOW ! The eagle is actually my "power animal" in the Native American tradition and I often use it metaphorically .... as the eagle soars through the "Cloud of Unknowing" into the sky of consciousness, sees the Big Picture (beyond the 5 senses), and returns with that transcendent wisdom to the earthly drama.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:51 PM
Master
QUOTE 76 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
It is believed that the brain employs a filter to limit sensory overload….this supposedly helps us to bring focus on the tasks at hand that are most relevant.
This has become an incredibly awesome thread.

I concur with the French philosopher Henri Bergson who did say that the brain serves as a filter to limit sensory overload.

In accordance with the "As above, so below" Hermetic principle, my sense is that this applies equally well at the level beyond the brain in the realms of consciousness as there is something that limits our extended consciousness to that which is most relevant or we would be similarly overwhelmed at another level.

In the past, I meditated on seeing everything at the level of the expanded consciousness but quickly realized how horrible that would actually be. Overload. There was an off-broadway play that I once saw in which one of the characters was telepathic and he picked up all surrounding thoughts as he walked down the street .... and it was horrible as the play made its point in a very poignant almost comedic manner. Overload.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:28 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 76 EXCERPT: This has become an incredibly awesome thread.:
Still Waters,
It is good to see that the energy that you are feeding on is translated thru all that you are sharing……
Old 02-07-2021, 05:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Amen ! This is really a fun dialogue.

My words are very easy to understand,
very easy to put into practice.

But you can't "understand" them,
can't put them into "practice".
Unless our thoughts come from the same ' Root ' of His words we'll find it hard to understand and therefore practice.
I wonder would He think we are talking gobbledegook on this Thread
Old 02-07-2021, 08:14 PM
Master
Quote:
In "silent communication", one can know intuitively all that is important to know relevant to the interaction.
Yes. I do know how precious “silent communication” or even better word “silent communion” is.
The complete transparency where nothing can be hidden.

I meant, unfortunately you did not experience or witness the master you spent 3 hours with (in complete and utter silence without words) …… also teach with words and actions.

Had you perhaps done so, you would have noticed, that the “silent communion” dimension stayed there, it didn’t disappear anywhere whilst also talking.

Had a teacher like that at school. Out of 42 kids in the class – only 2 entered into “silent communion” with her. So, you had teaching happening on 2 different levels.

The “silent communion” was a secret, we never let on to the rest of the class what was happening, but it was an open secret i.e. nobody was barred from entering it …
This is also how I have experienced Elders teach. But there is no “superiority” attached to teaching on that silent level, if there was it would come crashing down. Being able to teach on both levels are different but equally important.

But the question remains. Why are people barred from the open secret?
Mere ‘stopping thinking’ cannot do the unbarring, because it is a dimensional shift, although non-thought is an aid which can potentially enable the shift.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:06 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
No the words are not the answer to everything. They are just words that people wrote down, and then it was translated by another random person, who wrote it down differently, and then it was translated after that again, by one who wrote it down differently as well, and then by another, and another and another and another, and another and another and another.
Correct. The so-called Tao Te Ching inspiring the modern reader is an illegitimate child of many fathers. It's a mutant and, like chop suey, is made and much enjoyed in the west.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:23 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
Not necessarily, what if they are using their intellect to assert it is beyond the intellect?
Precisely! It's always "episteme" (Molearner's term) in action. Even "gnosis", which is linked to the spirit (Molearner's claim) is a product of the intellect (espisteme). After all, how is he able to make such an assertion if he didn't discover it in some book or listened to someone who expounded this in the first place?

The mind is a tricky monkey.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayar415
Precisely! It's always "episteme" (Molearner's term) in action. Even "gnosis", which is linked to the spirit (Molearner's claim) is a product of the intellect (espisteme). After all, how is he able to make such an assertion if he didn't discover it in some book or listened to someone who expounded this in the first place?

The mind is a tricky monkey.

Every night the truth is revealed in our own dreams, when the tricky monkey mind is off guard and truth waltzes through, but like the dance of the bees you need to be able to interpret the meaning of the waltz.