Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality > Faiths of Indigenous Peoples

Old 06-07-2021, 04:32 AM
Master
Still digesting your links ImthatIm
https://www.indianz.com/News/2011/03...ta-outrage.asp
Quote:
...we Lakota are outraged by the recent scandal and events in Arizona regarding the theft/misuse/abuse of our sacred sweat lodge ceremony by James Arthur Ray, a non-Indian whose actions caused the deaths of several non-Indians. This man was not authorized by the Lakota to conduct a sweat lodge ceremony.
Since I hadn’t been to these ceremonies, I had no idea. But when I did hear about the above, I questioned the person I know, who had been to vision quest, sweat lodge etc. ceremonies at the feral community (in Oz). Turned out the “Grandfather Grey Owl” was Scottish (if I remember right) who had claimed to have learned the ceremonial know-how from … XYZ (?) natives in Americas.
The people attending the ceremonies had been concerned about the extra heat in the sweat lodge though, but thankfully nobody was injured.

Then looked at this video recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnh9L9lMtAY

Far out!
Interesting nevertheless to see what I was being accused of (with psychic attack & threats) at a time when I did not know, nor could have even imagined this sort of cultural copying, so I was at a total loss and in a shock.
No Love nor Connectedness, respect nor compassion - just pure hatred!

This has got nothing to do with you ImthatIm, but I think it is something non-natives seeking Native American cultural ways should be aware of.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:15 AM
Administrator
That video really shows that people who know nothing of Native ways and culture take it and try to make it their own,
This has been going on for years yet they get away with it.

I have had it said to me by a couple of members why do you live in the uk call yourself by your name and have the avater you do,
My answer I have Native Blood running through my veins what is your Excuse.

When i was growing up people used to call me Mini ha ha not realising mini ha ha was male. because my hair is Black.

that video shows the Ignorance of people in my opinion

Another one is the Books by Silver Birch people buy it thinking he was Native he was not
he was a medium called Maurice Barbannel. he never said he was Native it was others that said that

Namaste
Old 06-07-2021, 01:47 PM
ImthatIm

sentient
I don't even know what to say about your vid.in post #741.

BUT,here we go anywho.
Thought it was sad to see people play dress up.
Me thinks they should get a new hobby.
The land that they are on holds knowledge about who they are.
I could not help but notice the wonderful Nature that was all around them as they were playing dress up.
My way of thinking they should drop the dress up and walk out into that beautiful land they are on and become apart of it.
The Living land and the ancestors will reveal themselves with some time in that Nature.
Then they won't need to play dress up, they can live with the land and their ancestors through them own selves.
I would imagine the Germanic tribal ancestry and the land is all right there for them.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
That video really shows that people who know nothing of Native ways and culture take it and try to make it their own,
This has been going on for years yet they get away with it.
A thought occurred that perhaps Lakota and others were not only outraged by the deaths these fake ceremonies caused, but also feared that there would be a backlash and people would start to demonize these ceremonies again.

I really do not know whether this Yuwipi, ‘the shaking tent’ ceremony of the Algonquians and Lakota is similar to ‘the dark tent’ seances of eastern and central Siberia since I have not experienced/witnessed those.

But. There is something you and I might have in common. The Wolf.
I trust there is a ceremony yous have ....
My connection comes from my Siberian side (Asian Turkic, nothing to do with Anatolian Turkish people really).
The Blue Wolf. (I trust you have blue, red etc. i.e. 4 Wolves.
Because, when I reconnected with this ancestral totem - did the “Lower World” racket start (Lower World = Totems, Ancestors, Ghosts etc ….) as if the door to that dimension had suddenly opened. Oooor as if "Upper", "Middle" and "Lower" Worlds came in or together all at once ...
So, I think I might have had a whift, a taste of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Me thinks they should get a new hobby.
LOL!

Old 06-07-2021, 03:37 PM
ImthatIm

Irish sweat houses are interesting.
http://airo.maynoothuniversity.ie/sites/default/files/Where%20were%20the%20countries%20Sweat%20Houses.pd f
Old 06-07-2021, 04:05 PM
Master
When I left the reservation, a friend, daughter of a medicine man, warned me of people who perform ceremonies who are not medicine people. I respected her advice all these years. The training for such things is long and very specific. It is just like a singer, their singing is perfected with many layers.

It is one thing to observe and respect and another to be taught.

I am an outside observer, sitting, listening, respecting. Occasionally a friend or relative will provide a lesson, that I am to carry in my pouch. (And yes, I was gifted a pouch) It is given in love and mutual respect. I hold these lessons dear. These lesson are not for me to teach. Each individual must go to the source to learn.

**Again, please forgive if I am jumping into a discussion, mid stream. I rarely feel moved to speak. This topic hits home and I simply wish to share my experience.**
Old 06-07-2021, 06:45 PM
ImthatIm

Anala
I think your right on point.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:28 AM
Master
A couple of books on Wolves, which might be of interest …

Relationships Between Indigenous American Peoples and Wolves 1: Wolves as Teachers and Guides:
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...s_and_Guid es
Quote:
There is a legend that the Wolf Song first came to the Indians through a warrior who took pity on a dying wolf…the chief of all the wolves and endowed with…power. The spirit of this wolf followed the warrior throughout his life…became his protector and guardian spirit and gave to him the Wolf Song…which he could invoke…in time of danger

Wolves of Heaven: Cheyenne Shamanism, Ceremonies and Prehistoric Origins:
https://books.google.com.au/books/ab...&redir_es c=y

Old 07-07-2021, 05:26 AM
Master
So. Opening the “Portal” (or Portals) for a cause is the “draw”. Yes – no?

Through synchronicities happening from all directions – simultaneously – and thus being put on the spot of ‘the shock awakening into the now’ has check-mated me a couple of times or 3 or so …. But because those did not come about via Ceremony but by “Spirit Design” – I’m a bit slow here to catch on …

The Renewal of Land and Species etc. are done by opening those portals with ceremonies.
In this light, I can imagine why “Ghost Dance” would have had a major draw.

‘On paper’ I’m supposed to be bear-totemic, and yes it has shown itself in a journey, leading me to its ‘bear-spirit-releasing-tree’ and a moose as well … but no portal opened.

The Wolf though was like opening the flood-gates of the “Ghost Realm”, but because I did not do it for any purpose or cause ... I had stumbled on it and then just gawked at the situation (I called “echo valley”) like a stunned mullet for the while it lasted.

Does one open Portals with Bear Ceremonies as well?
(I only know about the Bear Ceremonies hunters perform after the Bear has been killed).

Old 07-07-2021, 08:27 PM
Master
Nganasan shaman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RWWHBbVrOg

There is info in the comments.
Everybody, (Finnics and Saami) has Nganasan DNA, but it is very old. Mine is ~ 6%.

I was waiting for the portal to open and the racket start, but no, it was about the Shaman’s trance-journey and I suppose they would not have allowed filming had it been …

We call those portals “holes” along the Axis Mundi, so one can go either to Upper or Lower World through them depending on the situation need.

Tulpar or Hiimori takes one safely to the Upper World:
https://horseyhooves.com/wp-content/...2/Tulpar-1.jpg

Which is why in the olden days, they used to sacrifice horses.
Grrr. Hate it! And it is so not necessary.

The Wolf opens the portal to the Lower:
https://anomalien.com/wp-content/upl...blue-wolf.jpeg

In my experience. But I suppose Bear-totemic-ancestor could do it too? And everybody has got their own connections.

Eagle/Thunderbird is present in all 3 Worlds. Without this protection the whole thing would be very dangerous.
And with a genuine Eagle protection, all those 'costume' protective trinkets become redundant. Sometimes I think they are more for the audience's benefit - a teaching tool.

As I understand it.
Sometimes people make ‘native’ or indigenous spiritual ways sound “holier-than-thou” Sacred.
And of course, the Sacredness is there – has to be – but better not oversell it.