Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 07-06-2020, 10:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
I understand your last paragraph. I freelance. I started out working for an agency that promised great things. But the office politics, the working constraints soon palled and while music was a wonderful hobby, it turned out to be an awful profession - in that field at least.
I suppose I get some satisfaction now because I can choose what I pick up to an extent. I can also exercise creativity which will get me almost nowhere financially but there's time to do it. However, work sometimes dries up. Thankfully I'm adaptable enough to take up anything that pays something toward my survival!
In one respect, you're in a wonderful position: hopefully you pull in enough money to get by and you can look on it as income to finance what at the moment is your hobby, writing and illustrating.
I think lockdown is depressing us all... So I can understand how the difficulties of making a start - getting published - is amplified. It's going to be hard.
But you certainly aren't as you describe: a dead weight to society. Under non-lockdown circumstances you'd be doing a useful job, in contact with people, exercising your imagination in your creativity in your spare time.
Be brave. This lockdown can't go on forever...well, if it does we might as well all give up. But it won't. Meantime, work on your portfolio.

As others have said here, we aren't truly free and as individuals in society we have to "do what Romans do" or find ourselves ostracised. So...existentialism only works to a certain extent.
All the best...
Thank you Lorelyen for your kind words and encouragement. Yeah people tend to get those pesky "who Am I", "What is my Purpose in Life", questions that creep up every once in a while. This Quarantine is not making things any easier.
Old 30-06-2020, 03:32 AM
Master
I was thinking about getting books about the two philosophies to read and study from. It's interesting to me.

"Nihilism: A Philosophy Based In Nothingness And Eternity"

"The Trouble with Being Born"

"Existentialism Is a Humanism"
Old 04-08-2020, 12:59 AM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsearching
I was thinking about getting books about the two philosophies to read and study from. It's interesting to me.

"Nihilism: A Philosophy Based In Nothingness And Eternity"

"The Trouble with Being Born"

"Existentialism Is a Humanism"
Hmmm, I don't know that the first one would make my summer reading list. I mean why would someone go to the bother of writing a book if nothing matters? Not exactly the kind of material cliff hangers are made of. Although, I suppose Seinfeld claimed it was "a show about nothing" and that was hilarious. Maybe its a comedy? Written in first person dead pan no doubt.