Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Master
Hold on there, Sangress. What do you imagine would have happened if the farmer had been there with a shotgun ? Have you any idea how many farm animals are killed every year by dogs running loose ? However, don't blame the dogs, they are just showing their origins and the total lack of control by their owners. There seems to be an attitude of divine rights on the part of some dog owners. Only today another young child savaged by a so-called "pet" ! With pet ownership comes responsibilities !
Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Sangress

Quote:
Hold on there, Sangress. What do you imagine would have happened if the farmer had been there with a shotgun ? Have you any idea how many farm animals are killed every year by dogs running loose ? However, don't blame the dogs, they are just showing their origins and the total lack of control by their owners. There seems to be an attitude of divine rights on the part of some dog owners. Only today another young child savaged by a so-called "pet" ! With pet ownership comes responsibilities !

I'm not saying what that person was doing or allowing that dog to do was acceptable or correct, nor am I disagreeing with anything anyone has said.

My initial response was that a persons life has been lost for an unfortunate reason and that is a shame. My second thought was that if the person had been more carefull and had they not been in that moment at that time, they would still be alive.

I wont judge the person herself for her actions, nor the dog, nor the cow, nor anyone who has lost their life in the same way. It happened the way it happened and it will again if anyone is ever in that situation.

My point in being so blunt and forthright was to say that everyone deserves some form of respect no matter how they have died. The negative judgements and joking manner connected to this topic didn't seem to mesh well with the serious subject itself, so I thought I would mention it for the sake of my own peace of mind.

It's nothing personal, just saying it as I see it.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Master
Right. Nothing wrong with anyone's jokes or comments here. I think you do have a valid point, though, I myself think it's wrong not hideous or horrible to go tsk tsk and go overboard with the bearing down with the guilt because that won't change people, sad to say. It sure would be nice to find a way to get through to dog owners that training IS available and highly advisable. Maybe some sort of ad campaign some how.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Sangress

Free outdoor mobile dog training classes would be beneficial for people who don't have the cash or the motivation to organise, learn or practice training their dog on their own. Door to door services would be good as well to get people involved.

These days anyone can buy a pet, so a short question sheet before buying a dog to know that the owner is responsable would be another good thing (dog shelters do this to some extent, but pet shops and private sellers and breeders dont.)

More notices and issues of the fines applying to certain misconduct of pets would be good too.

A lot of these things are handled by the local council in my area, who do absolutely nothing about the subject because pet owners are easily on the bottom of their to do list.

I think charities could raise funds for the suggestion I put up the top, but getting people together and aware of the multitude of issues would be difficult. Figuring out where to put the funds would be even harder.

Thats about all I've got in the ways of helping dog owners to sort their kanine companions out.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Master
I admit that dogs are a "thing" with me. Even as I posted this morning, I read in my paper that attacks by dogs on Guide Dogs for the Blind had doubled in a single year in the UK.
As a Park Volunteer Warden, I took a lot of abuse from dog owners over telling them to keep their dogs on a leash during nesting season on open moors. Some owners lack any sense of responsibility.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Master
p.s. Compulsory micro-chipping of all dogs and a paid-for dog licence would help as would neutering. Put simply, there are just too many dogs in the UK.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Master
Sure seems like your area could use a few dog whisperers. Maybe demonstrations by trainers how it's useful and they can 'show off' with their dogs and in the process teach them control and make it something to be proud of instead of fighting that bad attitude they have.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Master
In the UK, 7.2 million dogs and 7.3 million cats. Those stats should horrify everyone.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
In the UK, 7.2 million dogs and 7.3 million cats. Those stats should horrify everyone.

That is pretty amazing, why aren't they ashamed of not doing something about it?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Sangress

I've had dogs and other animals at my side all my life so I have quite a complex emotional understanding and attachment to animals in general. My opinion of the dog depends on the dog in question.

I actually never trained my dogs in any traditional sense, rather I simply let them know when they had overstepped those rules with a glare and a growly voice, and they remembered what I showed them. All of my dogs did whatever I told them to do by the time they were 6 months old without me consciously teaching them.

I suppose people who haven't had that kind of close contact with animals don't have the advantage of just "knowing" how to communicate with their dogs properly.

But, as they say, you can always teach an old dog new tricks, so thats no excuse for anyone to skip disiplening and introducing their canines to society's expectations.