Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 12-02-2015, 03:03 AM
Guide
Spring

Some say spring starts on the equinox, some say it starts March 1st. But there is another way of looking at it. Right around February 11th the length of a solar day changes from slightly longer than the average of 24 hours, to slightly shorter than 24 hours. And it stays that way until early May. Then the solar day gets longer than 24 hours again during the summer.

Summers and winters the length of a solar day is longer than 24 hours due to the tilt of the axis, and spring and fall the length of a solar day is slightly shorter than 24 hours due to no tilt. Someone would need to explain to me why that is but that's the fact of the matter. It averages out to close to 24 hours over the course of a year which is how we came to have 24 hours in a day.

The amount of daylight in each day is also quickly increasing now.

Edit:

Here are approximately what the astronomical seasons are based on the equinoxes and solstices at the middle instead of the beginning of each season. I decided on these dates based on the fact that the time between the March equinox and the September equinox is about 186 days which makes astronomical summer approximately half that or 93 days with June 21 at the middle. And the time between the September equinox and the March equinox is about 178 days which makes astronomical winter approximately half that or 89 days with December 21 at the middle.

Spring: Feb 4-May 5 (91/92 days)
Summer: May 6-Aug 6 (93 days)
Autumn: Aug 7-Nov 6 (92 days)
Winter: Nov 7-Feb 3 (89 days)

Last edited by inspirit : 23-02-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:42 AM
Master
I go more by the temperatures than the amount of daylight.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:57 AM
Guide
Temperature varies a lot from one place to another though. But daylight increasing is happening everywhere now in the northern hemisphere. I'm not saying you're wrong though. In fact most people would agree with you since most people measure Spring as going between March 1 - March 20 (equinox) till June 1 - June 21 (solstice) when the weather is warmer. So you're in the majority.

But it's still nice to know that the days are quickly getting longer now. Before you know it the daffodils will be sprouting and the sun will be setting after 7pm. :)
Old 14-02-2015, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Where I live, the first signs of Spring start to move in much earlier than the designated 'official' start of Spring! Usually in the 3rd week of February or so. We already have snowdrops, one or two Periwinkle, some crocuses, and a few daffodils in flower! (though certainly not in my garden) But it feels still very much like winter.
For me, Spring starts 'officially' the first day or night I smell the sap rising.
Old 15-02-2015, 03:19 AM
Guide
I've been seeing dandelions and the days are getting noticeably longer now. But I haven't seen any daffodils yet. I might have seen some other flowers but I don't remember. No crocuses yet I don't think, but those usually come pretty early in spring so I would expect to see them soon. The sun came out today and it was almost like a spring day even if none of the trees are starting to bloom yet.
Old 16-02-2015, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator
In England, the Blackbird usually knows when Spring's arriving, and starts to sing at dawn and dusk
Old 16-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Ascender

I would suggest you ask the 1st spring flowers you see

or the 1st birds showing signs of the arrival of spring

ask them how they knew perhaps they will share

their perfect ways to know with you

I am sure their answer can only be very beautiful
-----------------------------------

much love and light to you and others reading this
Old 18-02-2015, 07:19 PM
StarRobin

Daffodils here are sprouting earlier and earlier each year. I remember when I moved to the area I am in now, they cropped up in March or April...now they have been known to spring up at the end of December!

I tend to go by the seasons by the way I was taught at school - March, April and May is Spring. June, July and August is Summer. Sept, Oct and Nov are autumn and Dec, Jan and Feb are Winter. I'm such a big kid! I know this differs for others though. I do think temperatures are changing each year.

I enjoy Spring. Everything is starting afresh and I love watching all the plants and flowers grow and seeing a lot more birds in the trees
Old 18-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Guide
Technically spring is March 20-June 20
summer is June 21 - Sep 21
fall is Sep 22 - Dec 20
and winter is Dec 21 - March 19

The seasons are opposite from the above in the southern hemisphere. The start of each season is based on the times of the solstices and equinoxes.

The only thing confusing about the above definition is that the first day of summer is called "midsummer" which is a contradiction. But maybe that's if you consider the whole season from March to September summer which is another way of looking at it. That's when the days are longest which is especially important to people living in far northern latitudes.

Yesterday I saw some crocuses. No daffodils yet though. I'm sure the daffodils will be everywhere soon though.
Old 18-02-2015, 08:05 PM
Ascender
Spring represents new life. Yay