Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 17-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Pathfinder
Why is it just the "Moon"

Must have way too much time on my hands to ask this question, but why do we call our moon just that, the moon? All the other planets have wonderful, mysterious names for their moons like Phobos, Deimos, Europa, and Callists. Ours is Luna or just the moon. What would be a good, worthy name for our moon? Without it, our lives would be radically different, so, I feel a more honorable, respectable name is deserved.... Ideas?

First thing I thought of was "Ghandiana". Maybe that name could inspire folks to feel more at peace when they look up.
Then, Gabriel comes and taps you on the shoulder
But you don’t see no hearses with luggage racks"
Don Henley
Old 17-09-2014, 02:08 AM
Experiencer
"The International Astronomical Union (IAU) decides on names for things in the Solar System, such as planets, asteroids, and moons. I asked Dr. Aksnes, the chairman of the group that decides on names for planetary systems and what's in them, this question. It turns out that the IAU has not decided on a single name for the Sun (or the Moon for that matter), but supports the common practice of using the name of the Sun (or the Moon) in any language. Without capitalization, the word "sun" can be interpreted as any other star and the word "moon" as any other moon."
Old 17-09-2014, 05:18 AM
Master
Lightbulb Lovely Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedTexas
Must have way too much time on my hands to ask this question, but why do we call our moon just that, the moon? All the other planets have wonderful, mysterious names for their moons like Phobos, Deimos, Europa, and Callists. Ours is Luna or just the moon. What would be a good, worthy name for our moon? Without it, our lives would be radically different, so, I feel a more honorable, respectable name is deserved.... Ideas?

First thing I thought of was "Ghandiana". Maybe that name could inspire folks to feel more at peace when they look up.

That's a very good question that I'm surprised I never thought of because I love our Moon. And the name you thought of is nice!