Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 15-09-2020, 09:21 PM
Seeker

How should I start meditating as a beginner?

I have no clue. Do I only have to focus on my breather for a short period of time?
Old 16-09-2020, 06:08 AM
Master
I would suggest that you read a little about the different types of meditation.
See if there are any free or low cost meditation classes in your area.

There are free meditation instructions on the internet; the links below will
bring you to some of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQOAVZew5l8

https://zenhabits.net/meditation-guide/

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/how-to-meditate
Old 16-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
See if there are any free or low cost meditation classes in your area.

There are free meditation instructions on the internet; the links below will
bring you to some of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQOAVZew5l8

https://zenhabits.net/meditation-guide/

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/how-to-meditate
thank you so much!!!!!!
Old 17-09-2020, 02:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
I agree. Still it pretty much doesn't matter at first. Pick one and see if it works for you. If not try another type. At first you will need to assert some discipline. However, forcing yourself to meditate is counter productive.

Small benefits affects are likely to occur right away but you may not notice them. If you have been practicing regularly for a few months and see no changes, ask some that knows you well if they have noticed any changes. Big changes take time usually, patience is required.

These are the biggest differences that matter for beginners in picking a style:
-Still or not. Most common types of meditation are practiced sitting still for a period of time. Note that any still comfortable position is just as good as long as its not in bed where you will tend to fall asleep. This is not to everyone's taste. If being still is not your thing, I suggest walking meditation.
-How much guidance you prefer. There are minimalist setups where the host does little more than light some candles, chime a bell to begin, keep a timer, chime a bell to end, and wish you namaste. On the other end are fully guided meditations where someone talks gently to you (or group) the entire time.
-No focus or one focus. One focus is more common for beginners as it tends to be easier them to notice they have become distracted or wandered. Focus can be on any one thing but most common are breathe, heartbeat, candle, spot on the wall. In no focus, you just try to be calm and still and not focus on anything.
-Silent or chanting. Chanting is usually a mantra or making a pure toning. In between is the popular 'Om' style.
-In person or recorded. There are many free guided meditations available online.
Old 17-09-2020, 02:37 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
I agree. Still it pretty much doesn't matter at first. Pick one and see if it works for you. If not try another type. At first you will need to assert some discipline. However, forcing yourself to meditate is counter productive.

Small benefits affects are likely to occur right away but you may not notice them. If you have been practicing regularly for a few months and see no changes, ask some that knows you well if they have noticed any changes. Big changes take time usually, patience is required.

These are the biggest differences that matter for beginners in picking a style:
-Still or not. Most common types of meditation are practiced sitting still for a period of time. Note that any still comfortable position is just as good as long as its not in bed where you will tend to fall asleep. This is not to everyone's taste. If being still is not your thing, I suggest walking meditation.
-How much guidance you prefer. There are minimalist setups where the host does little more than light some candles, chime a bell to begin, keep a timer, chime a bell to end, and wish you namaste. On the other end are fully guided meditations where someone talks gently to you (or group) the entire time.
-No focus or one focus. One focus is more common for beginners as it tends to be easier them to notice they have become distracted or wandered. Focus can be on any one thing but most common are breathe, heartbeat, candle, spot on the wall. In no focus, you just try to be calm and still and not focus on anything.
-Silent or chanting. Chanting is usually a mantra or making a pure toning. In between is the popular 'Om' style.
-In person or recorded. There are many free guided meditations available online.
Thank you. I found that Vipassana suits me. I tried it for 12 min today, and now I feel so relaxed.
So should I do it daily?
I just want to be less anxious in every day matters and more confident in the present moment, instead of trying to run away from unpleasant tasks and unpleasant emotions.
Old 17-09-2020, 03:31 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown
Thank you. I found that Vipassana suits me. I tried it for 12 min today, and now I feel so relaxed.
So should I do it daily?
I just want to be less anxious in every day matters and more confident in the present moment, instead of trying to run away from unpleasant tasks and unpleasant emotions.

There are different types of meditation; my advice is choose an established one and stick to it.

Daily for 10 minutes to start with is good; then build up to a longer session.

Vipassana and samatha go hand in hand; so just be aware of the breath and stay grounded in the body.

There are a lot of Buddhist groups which can also give you some guidance.

JL
Old 17-09-2020, 04:17 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
There are different types of meditation; my advice is choose an established one and stick to it.

Daily for 10 minutes to start with is good; then build up to a longer session.

Vipassana and samatha go hand in hand; so just be aware of the breath and stay grounded in the body.

There are a lot of Buddhist groups which can also give you some guidance.

JL
thank you :)
Old 19-09-2020, 04:38 AM
Master
Quote:
So should I do it daily?
Some one else covered the specifics of Vipassana.

As a general case, the biggest key is constancy. More time meditating will see faster progress. The temptation is to squeeze in as much meditation time as possible. Counter intuitively its better to spend less overall time on a regular basis. One of the biggest reasons is that blocking out time on a schedule lets you and everyone know this is a priority.

Balancing meditation time with life demands is one of the biggest problems. Consistent meditation will lesson those demands allowing more time for more meditation. Eventually you will be able to meditate while doing daily things and the blocking out time and scheduling will become moot.

There are some 'advanced' states that require large blocks of physical time (may seem way shorter in the experience). This might require special extended sessions.
Old 19-09-2020, 05:01 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Some one else covered the specifics of Vipassana.

As a general case, the biggest key is constancy. More time meditating will see faster progress. The temptation is to squeeze in as much meditation time as possible. Counter intuitively its better to spend less overall time on a regular basis. One of the biggest reasons is that blocking out time on a schedule lets you and everyone know this is a priority.

Balancing meditation time with life demands is one of the biggest problems. Consistent meditation will lesson those demands allowing more time for more meditation. Eventually you will be able to meditate while doing daily things and the blocking out time and scheduling will become moot.

There are some 'advanced' states that require large blocks of physical time (may seem way shorter in the experience). This might require special extended sessions.
Do you think meditation can break with very very deep and old patterns? Like food addiction or not dealing correctly with day to day unselting experiences like anxiety ?
Old 25-09-2020, 06:36 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
So should I do it daily?

Consisntency is more important, I find, than the time you do it for. 5 minutes daily for 6 months is more powerful than 2 hours done now and then.