Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 01-01-2023, 10:28 PM
Master
The Bargain Hunters Thread (UK edition)

Thought I would start this(inspired by the shopping thread)For us to share bargains we have recently discovered.(please feel free to start a US or one for other places)
Old 01-01-2023, 11:02 PM
Master
Dug unsweetened potato milk from HomeBargains @19p per litre carton bbe April 23(never liked these fake milks but not tried spud so bought one for a friend,and one to experiment with in bread mix,will try it also in tea and coffee but expect they will be heading back to the earth as plant feed as all the other beverages Iv'e tried with these types of milk in)
Old 02-01-2023, 06:33 AM
Master

Love this thread Podders.
Sadly because I don't get out much I'm a bit out of 'touch' with where the best 'bits' are at LOL....
But what I DO know is this.
YELLOW LABELS YELLOW LABELS YELLOW LABELS ....
Like Dorothy out of wizard of Oz, click heels 3 times and it will , by magic, take you home ( bargains ).. LOL....

My son sent me a photo.
5 days before Christmas in reduced aisle in Sainsbury's, and acquired the following...

2x trays of pigs in blankets ( 24 in total)...brie cheese, pack of cream crackers , pack of carrots, 2 X pack of sprouts, bag of potatoes, pack of cranberry cheese ,bag of parsnips ,pack of red onions, box of mince pies, and pack of Lancashire cheese...
... A total cost of £2.47p....

He said it's his cheapest crimbo dinner ever ...
Mammy taught him well !!!
Old 02-01-2023, 07:21 AM
Master

...Also... Look for "dis-continued" items .
My tiny Tesco's are always "dis- continuing " lines, and many a bargain to be had.
They were stopping a certain "pasta" . They were selling the last of stock for just 7p a pack.
Needless to say I filled a basket .
Not because I'm greedy, far from it.
On the way out I put half of them into the box / trolley for the food bank stores. Of the other half I gave a lot of it to my children for their households and I kept a few myself...
Old 02-01-2023, 11:42 AM
Master

Soooo glad to hear you gave to the food bank. What an awesome group of people.

I heard that they set themselves up outside of the Liverpool and Everton stadium when the matches are on and it brings in a very high per cent of their yearly needs. Can’t remember the exact amount. But they did say that the scousers were extremely generous. So good to hear that.

But you can imagine if 50,000 people all donated at every game it would be incredible!
Old 02-01-2023, 12:23 PM
Master

Red....I have always donated food to the food banks , and now in UK more than ever , we need donations .
It has got to the point where professional workers such as police officers and nurses are having to use them. And sadly , a lot of the people that donated to the banks are now having to use them themselves , so therefore not enough to go round.
I am sorry and sad to say that it feels as though we are becoming a third world nation.

During covid I NEVER EVER Stock-piled .
It was not fair to take from others just as in need as me .
I only ever bought 1 pack of 9 ( cheap ) toilet rolls , as and when they had them . Then I sat on the shelf behind the checkout watching an waiting and listening to the people going through complaining that they could not get any toilet rolls.
If it was an elderly person , or a young family , I would give them one from my pack to put them on.
I won't forget those early days of covid in my local store and i just stood there and cried looking at the despair of the elderly folk , confused and not knowing what to do looking at the empty shelves, then looking down at their shopping list in their hand .
It broke my heart.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:15 PM
Master
Yellow,yellow,yellow labels,good song.We have a local guy runs foodbanks should be made a saint as the council keep driving him out with increasing costs(thats when there's loads of places empty!) he usually manages to set up again but is in limbo at mo.One thing to realise is that churches and temples etc already do this,following the loaves and fishes example.You get religeous groups handing literature out in the town square,I offered them some cash one day and they told me they couldn't take donations or hand food out!What's going on! The council are stifling charity with red bloody tape.Waste of time emailing them to complain,need to organise some proper protest(I expect the foodbanks have to jump through hoops to be allowed to hand food out)
Old 02-01-2023, 03:28 PM
Master
I also got some Bonka coffee on offer the other day,the East Eureapean shops do some good and cheap coffee alternatives that are good mixed with normal coffee,they do herbal teas that you can also put with normal tea (if you are allowed them)but the best tea I can find is Marks' loose gold blend which works out quite good for 250g compared to the Yorkshire Gold loose which I think is dearer and not as good,many loose teas and ground coffees sinj,so I just let them brew in cup.Must go out need T rolls which are still under two quid for six at Aldi and some red oniöns,just finished the last of the shallots which were on offer at Lidl over Xmas.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:23 AM
Master

Buying wisely is key.
Bulk buy can be very cost effective .
Because of my vast catering history I had to "price" up everything that was delivered to me . I had to "cost " everything from a single rasher of bacon , to a single egg etc in order to work out what to charge for a full English and the profits margins .
So I'm very quick at working out the best deals in shops / supermarkets etc .

These are the things they DONT teach you in schools...
Forget shakespeare , pie = z - 6 + the chemical symbol of nothing, take away y in order to find out the result of nothing that will ever benefit in this lifetime.....

They need to be taught about life ...
Old 03-01-2023, 01:15 PM
Administrator
I went into one shop here during covid which has now closed to see Pensioners arguing about toilet rolls. one couple had 7 big packs for themselves
one old woman told me she used to buy kitchen paper and cut it in half and use that.
We had a food bank here that we used to run on the community council the amount of people we had to help was huge.
the biggest donators were Morrisons every other day they would bring donations.
Christmas eve we had an organisation Given to shine they went all around the uk.. they had fruit veg turkey crowns all sorts free to take and use.

but the part I didn't like was people who didn't need the help were taking the food so they didn't have to spend money
that to me is just greed

Namaste