Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 23-05-2020, 07:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Can you share the Links please where you got your info; as it's ' Fake News '.
It's not in any Sutta/Sutra....
I think it's a good idea to check before you Post because some may enjoy learning about
Buddhism rather than Bigjohnism..
Sky123, here is the information you requested.

Look under Tipiṭaka. You will find it here https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/

Look for Bold words labeled Vinaya Pitaka
Look for the second set of bold words and they will be labeled Sutta Pitaka
Look for the words Khuddaka Nikaya — the "collection of little texts":
The fourteenth entry is called Buddhavamsa

This is what you are looking for:

The collection of suttas, or discourses, attributed to the Buddha and a few of his closest disciples, containing all the central teachings of Theravada Buddhism. (More than one thousand sutta translations are available on this website.) The suttas are divided among five nikayas (collections):
Digha Nikaya — the "long collection"
Majjhima Nikaya — the "middle-length collection"
Samyutta Nikaya — the "grouped collection"
Anguttara Nikaya — the "further-factored collection"
Khuddaka Nikaya — the "collection of little texts":
Khuddakapatha
Dhammapada
Udana
Itivuttaka
Sutta Nipata
Vimanavatthu
Petavatthu
Theragatha
Therigatha
Jataka
Niddesa
Patisambhidamagga
Apadana
Buddhavamsa
Cariyapitaka
Nettippakarana (included only in the Burmese edition of the Tipitaka)
Petakopadesa ( " " )
Milindapañha ( " " )

SIDE NOTE: Note all suttas are available in English and it is claimed some suttas have been lost.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 23-05-2020, 07:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Sky123, here is the information you requested.
The collection of suttas, or discourses, attributed to the Buddha and a few of his closest disciples, containing all the central teachings of Theravada Buddhism. (More than one thousand sutta translations are available on this website.) The suttas are divided among five nikayas (collections):
Digha Nikaya — the "long collection"
Majjhima Nikaya — the "middle-length collection"

SIDE NOTE: Note all suttas are available in English and it is claimed some suttas have been lost.
No it isn't, you repeatedly quote a Buddhavamsa Sutta so I asked for a link to it. I Posted last week trying to explain that there is NO Sutta/Sutra by this name, it is PART of the SUTTA PITAKA and is not a Sutta itself...

' Later, King Vijitāvī would be reborn and become Gautama Buddha '
Can you Post the Link please....
Old 23-05-2020, 07:37 AM
Master
Quote:
No it isn't, you repeatedly quote a Buddhavamsa Sutta so I asked for a link to it. I Posted last week trying to explain that there is NO Sutta/Sutra by this name, it is PART of the SUTTA PITAKA and is not a Sutta itself...

' Later, King Vijitāvī would be reborn and become Gautama Buddha '
Can you Post the Link please....
Sutta can mean discourse, scripture, etc.

If Buddhavamsa is a "PART of the SUTTA PITAKA", and a sutta are scriptures, discourse, etc. then would not the Buddhavamsa be scriptures by default?

I think you are nitpicking semantics and syntaxs.

As for the link about King Vijitāvī, you will find it at https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig4_292156176

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 23-05-2020, 07:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Sutta can mean discourse, scripture, etc.

If Buddhavamsa is a "PART of the SUTTA PITAKA", and a sutta are scriptures, discourse, etc. then would not the Buddhavamsa be scriptures by default?

I think you are nitpicking semantics and syntaxs.

As for the link about King Vijitāvī, you will find it at https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig4_292156176
'Sutta can mean discourse, scripture, etc '
In bigjohnism but not in Buddhism

"Not all scriptures are Sutras/Suttas. Beyond the Sutras/Suttas
there are also commentaries, rules for monks and nuns, fables about the lives of the Buddha, and many other kinds of texts also considered to be "scripture."

The Buddhavamsa comes under FABLES.... It is NOT a Sutta/Sutra

Thanks for the Thai Folklore link.

Last edited by sky : 23-05-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 23-05-2020, 08:25 AM
Master
Quote:
'Sutta can mean discourse, scripture, etc '
In bigjohnism but not in Buddhism
"Not all scriptures are Sutras/Suttas. Beyond the Sutras/Suttas
there are also commentaries, rules for monks and nuns, fables about the lives of the Buddha, and many other kinds of texts also considered to be "scripture."
The Buddhavamsa comes under FABLES.... It is NOT a Sutta/Sutra.Thanks for the Thai Folklaw link.
Are you saying the scene about King Vijitāvī taken from a Pagan temple is "Thai Folklaw"?
You got the wrong country.

If you ever want to see something majestic, historical and off the beaten path but deeply engulfed in Buddhism, you should visit the Pagan temples. It appears most Western Buddhists have never heard about them let alone seen them.

Side Note: I also had a fantastic experience with 'Pagan' that most people only dream about but never experience. I will probably mention that some other time.

Old 23-05-2020, 09:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Are you saying the scene about King Vijitāvī taken from a Pagan temple is "Thai Folklaw"?
You got the wrong country.
If you ever want to see something majestic, historical and off the beaten path but deeply engulfed in Buddhism, you should visit the Pagan temples. It appears most Western Buddhists have never heard about them let alone seen them.
Side Note: I also had a fantastic experience with 'Pagan' that most people only dream about but never experience. I will probably mention that some other time.
The link was referring to Thai Buddhist Murals. King Vijitāvī is Folklore...
Hence THAI Buddhist FOLKLORE....
Old 23-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Master
Quote:
The link was referring to Thai Buddhist Murals. King Vijitāvī is Folklore...
Hence THAI Buddhist FOLKLORE....
The article I addressed about King Vijitāvī reads:

"Buddha Koṇḍañña providing a prophecy for the enlightenment to come of the Bodhisatta, the universe king Vijitāvī, the Pagan temple 539".

Pagan temple 539 is not in Thailand.

You got to go and see the Pagan temples, you do not know what you are missing.

In the future, I might start a new thread about the Buddhist Pagan temples. I think most people would be amazed of their existence let alone their size and grandeur.

Old 23-05-2020, 10:25 AM
Master
Quote:
The article I addressed about King Vijitāvī reads:

"Buddha Koṇḍañña providing a prophecy for the enlightenment to come of the Bodhisatta, the universe king Vijitāvī, the Pagan temple 539".

Pagan temple 539 is not in Thailand.
You got to go and see the Pagan temples, you do not know what you are missing
In the future, I might start a new thread about the Buddhist Pagan temples. I think most people would be amazed of their existence let alone their size and grandeur.
I didn't say the Temple was in Thailand, I was referring to the Thai Buddhist Mural of a Folklore Buddha....
Old 23-05-2020, 03:03 PM
Master
Quote:
I didn't say the Temple was in Thailand, I was referring to the Thai Buddhist Mural of a Folklore Buddha....
.Of the 5 murals, only the last mural is from Thailand. The other 4 murals are from Pagan Temples which are not in Thailand.

Side Note: the Pagan Temples are many. I used the word Temples which is plural.
You should visit the Pagan Temples. You probably will be very impressed.

As I already wrote, in the future, I might start a new thread about the Buddhist Pagan temples. I think most people would be amazed of their existence let alone their size and grandeur.

Old 27-05-2020, 02:19 PM
Master
Buddha said that his body is the Sangha, his speech is the Dharma, and his mind is the Dharmakaya.
So even though historically speaking the Buddha took parinirvana and passed away and no longer
exists in a human body, the Buddha’s wisdom mind continues lineage after lineage in that way.
Because of that many great masters or great teachers were produced in so many different places. So
through Buddha’s teachings, there are great teachers who studied and practiced the Buddha’s
teachings and actualized the Buddha’s teachings by realizing the wisdom mind.
So through the
actualization of the Buddha’s teaching, they attained the Dharmakaya. Therefore we call the precious
lama the embodiment of all the Buddhas. The lama’s body is the Sangha, the lama’s speech is the
Dharma, the lama’s wisdom mind is the Buddha, because all of the Buddha’s teachings are all there,
are all contained therein.

When we read the great life stories of the Kagyü masters, from Vajradhara, Tilopa, until now, we can
see that there were and are many great teachers. Within this lineage of great masters, today we will
study the Mahamudra teachings of Lord Jigten Sumgon, the teachings, which he taught and wrote.
Lord Jigten Sumgon is a manifest Buddha in the human form who gave all of these precious
teachings. Lord Jigten Sumgon’s teachings came through the lineage from Lord Jigten Sumgon’s time
up until now. Like myself, each one of these lineage holders studied all of Lord Jigten Sumgon’s
teachings and then practiced them. So now the transmission of the teachings taught by the Buddha
and Lord Jigten Sumgon will take place, here and now.

Drikung Kagyu
Mahamudra Teachings
by H. E. Garchen Rinpoche
Translated by Khenpo Könchog Gyaltshen
Edited by Peter Barth