Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 07-11-2020, 10:02 PM
Seeker

Is Consciousness just a word to describe the 5 senses?

Isn't that just a fancy word for the 5 senses? Without the senses we wouldn't be conscious right?

And how do we know we have souls? I can't feel one.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:22 PM
Master

There is a contradiction between your handle "we r devine" and your statement "... souls? I can't feel one."
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRDivine
Isn't that just a fancy word for the 5 senses?
Without the senses we wouldn't be conscious right?
I believe a blind and deaf person would disagree.

We have a Blind and Deaf School in my City, btw.
Almost bought a house across from the entrance...
Big old Oxford looking buildings.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 08-11-2020, 01:43 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I believe a blind and deaf person would disagree.

We have a Blind and Deaf School in my City, btw.
Almost bought a house across from the entrance...
Big old Oxford looking buildings.

What if you're born without senses? You wouldn't exist.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Isn't that just a fancy word for the 5 senses? Without the senses we wouldn't be conscious right?

And how do we know we have souls? I can't feel one.

According to Buddhist philosophy there is no consciousness without senses or vice versa...
Old 08-11-2020, 02:30 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
According to Buddhist philosophy there is no consciousness without senses or vice versa...
But probably that doesn't refer to the five physical senses. There is consciousness in a pebble.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
But probably that doesn't refer to the five physical senses. There is consciousness in a pebble.

They say consciousness is divided in correlation to different sense objects, so there is eye consciousness, ear consciousness, touch consciousness etc. Hence a pebble is concurrent with senses and consciousness. We can't really separate a pebble from consciousness or senses, or claim that there is any object or self which is consciousness. They claim it all arises together momentarily, and has no continuous or enduring quality. It seems to have some sort of endurance, but actually, everything is destroyed and recreated from moment to moment.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Quote:
What if you're born without senses? You wouldn't exist.
I have a question...do you think senses are so important?

Must your vocal chords work?
Do you have to see trees and stars?
Do you have to hear a flute?
But do you have to feel cold and heat? To be conscious?

Just asking.
I say a lot goes on between the ears - no need for this physical 3rd dimension...as anyone on the Other Side will tell you.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 08-11-2020, 03:18 PM
JustASimpleGuy

A good analogy is that of light. In the vacuum of space it does not appear there is light until an object is introduced, and then the light reveals itself via illumination of the object.

Just like light Consciousness is ever-present and all-pervasive, regardless whether a mind is present to be illumined by Consciousness.

That which we perceive as consciousness is but a reflection of Consciousness. It's akin to the reflection of a face in the mirror. If there's no mirror there's still a face.

EDIT: I'm watching a lecture on Adi Sankaracharya's Atma Bodha and this is verse 21. https://youtu.be/_cC0U43JKn8?t=1279

Due to ignorance, your mind's qualities and activities are attributed to Atma,
like when the Moon is reflected in water, the water's ripples are attributed to the Moon.

Atma = Consciousness (Moon) and what we perceive as consciousness is the Moon's reflection in the water (our minds).

This concept is at the heart of Advaita and called superimposition. We impose the ego-self upon Self. We perceive the limitless as the limited.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:38 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I have a question...do you think senses are so important?

Must your vocal chords work?
Do you have to see trees and stars?
Do you have to hear a flute?
But do you have to feel cold and heat? To be conscious?

Just asking.
I say a lot goes on between the ears - no need for this physical 3rd dimension...as anyone on the Other Side will tell you.

Doesn't conscious mean being aware of things? Then yes you need to feel cold or heat and see things to be conscious.