Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Cal

Hi Primrose. Thanks for sharing here about your long term health as a vegetarian. I really appreciate it.

I have not eaten any meat of any kind for almost 5 months now. I do eat products with egg and dairy still though. I have had a slight craving for seafood here and there.

I've even learned more about nutrition and learned how to cook some great vegetarian plates over the past few months and I really like some of them a lot, so I'm relying less and less on processed and frozen vegetarian dinners. I feel pretty healthy, maybe I would venture to say I even feel as if I'm 10 years or so younger.

Thanks,
Cal
Old 24-06-2011, 03:08 AM
Smileyface

1. Fish, no. They're still animals and I wouldn't want to do that to them. Also I never was a fan of fish.

2. I know cyclist recommend a vegetarian lifestyle. Typically if you're going for a cardio type of athleticism like cycling or soccer than it's good. But typically muscle sports or people who like massive muscle don't per say go with it.
Old 24-06-2011, 08:18 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface
1. Fish, no. They're still animals and I wouldn't want to do that to them. Also I never was a fan of fish.

2. I know cyclist recommend a vegetarian lifestyle. Typically if you're going for a cardio type of athleticism like cycling or soccer than it's good. But typically muscle sports or people who like massive muscle don't per say go with it.

This is a link to a page that introduces you to a number of vegan athletes. Of particular interest (considering that last item you said Smiley) is the photo of Robert Cheeke. Obviously his muscles have no problem with a vegan diet. Then there is Robert Hazeley (body builder of note) and check out Pat Reeves. Look at the weights that woman is lifting! Vegan diets are not a hindrance to athletes of any sort.

http://www.bestveganguide.com/vegan-athletes.html
Old 08-09-2011, 11:39 PM
amys

1 no because i dont like them
2 yes you can bulk up on other carbs like rice
Old 25-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Seeker

Eating fish = not good, bad karma + every animal product has: bad cholesterol, hormones, animal protein (which is acidic), the information of death.

There are many vegetarians pro athletes. My personal experience: this summer I run a semi marathon and I am thinking for a full marathon for 2015.

Google Michael Arnestein, ultra marathon runner, hes eating only fruits. he also runned Badwater, the hardest ultra marathon on the planet (hmmm except the South Pole one)
Old 26-12-2014, 02:14 AM
Everly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Hello, I'm considering a change in diet. I have a couple questions for seasoned Vegetarians:
  1. Do you eat fish, why or why not?
  2. Is a vegetarian diet good for althletes or highly physically active people? Can one retain and/or improve muscle mass and strength on such a diet?
Thanks in advance!
Cal

I went vegan for ethical reasons. I do not eat other animals, period. Fish are animals. Their suffering is as great as the suffering of land animals used for food.

A vegetarian or vegan diet is just fine for athletes. Even a modest search will give you plenty of information.

An aside: Calling oneself a vegetarian while still eating animals is like calling oneself a Christian because Satan is worshiped only once a week. It's dishonest to eat any animals (and fish are animals!) and claim to be a vegetarian.
Old 26-12-2014, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Hi Nalini, thanks for the kind words and for sharing your about situation.

I haven't been able to give up milk and eggs. I'm still struggling with what and how to cook food without flesh and blood being the main course, as it had been daily for the past 49 years. For now at least I can still have many of the things I've always enjoyed (minus flesh where applicable) even though they may not be the healthiest, like pizza, lasagna, ice cream, cheese, cereal, waffles and pancakes, cake, etc.

Eventually I may for give up the lacto ovo part for ethical reasons but for now I'm content with no longer eating anybody's flesh and blood. I just can't continue conditionally loving my animals or certain species while eating others. I had to make a stand on a commitment to unconditional love for all animals in that respect. Whether or not that makes me more spiritually connected or anything else like that is not the point. It's just what I felt I needed to do at this point in my life. I am ok that my wife or any other people eat flesh. It's just something I needed to do, as long as I can remain healthy.

I am grateful for all the loving people that have come to this thread to show there support and offer advice.

Thanks again for your support and have a wonderful day!

Cal

All my best wishes to you Cal. It's really great you have decided to go with your innermost feelings!
Eating nut roasts and bean/nut burgers, Falafel mixes, lentil roasts etc is good protein. And these are easily found even in many supermarkets. Dried beans, peas and pulses, (and for quick cooking -even the canned variety) -again easy to find in any supermarket and easy to cook. Throw in a few caramelised onions herbs black pepper and garlic....wow!
Tofu is good, but a bit bland on its own. Smoked Tofu is tastier. It's good if you can get one with calcium.
Protein isn't too much of a challenge.

But four things can be low in a vegan diet:
Calcium in enough amounts
Omega 3
Vitamin D
and B12.
So you need to find out what the requirements are for you and your age & activity levels etc, then do a little maths to find out what supplements you will need to take regularly. It just means a little bit of figuring out at first, then when you get used to it you won't have to do much thinking about it any more.

By the way there is a good vegan Omega 3 supplement. It is called Opti-3