Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 25-08-2021, 06:38 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
Obviously that blog post did not come from a Buddhist Sutra or the Pali canon etc so it is not really a Buddhist teaching etc etc

Hi, your analysis very much follows that of another I had discussion with on another forum, one who by offering a definition of "sin" (as the wilful rejection of God's law) claimed that therefore there could be no sin in Buddhism.

Personally I reject such a line of reasoning. It's why I find definitions unhelpful as far as genuine understanding is concerned.

The Dharma is ehipassiko, a Pali word meaning "come and see (for oneself)" . Forgetting definitions, one can feel blessed, having "gone" and looked ("experienced") for oneself.

I remember Thich Nhat Hahn once being told that as a Buddhist why did he speak of "thankfulness" as for him there was no one to thank. He simply did not understand the question. And continues to give thanks, in each and every moment.

If you wish to argue, do so. But all this non-dual, duality stuff can be confusing. Best to seek correspondences, commonalities of experience and then maybe look for definitions.
Old 25-08-2021, 07:00 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Mybe not for you.....
I meant to say the way the beatitudes are worded in the post, And in the official version. are completed tense. Not sure what the official grammar term is in English.
They are blessed and then that's that. No incentive to become poor, or see beyond the war of the heart. Just that they are blessed. AT least the Buddha has us look at the attainments of the noble ones and follow in their footsteps. And see if that path leads us anywhere.

Let me ask you this. Could/would you explain how you interpret the beautitudes in light of the Buddha's teachings?
Old 25-08-2021, 07:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
Just that they are blessed. AT least the Buddha has us look at the attainments of the noble ones and follow in their footsteps. And see if that path leads us anywhere.
We are 'Blessed' because we've followed the 'Path' and arrived....
Old 25-08-2021, 07:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice

The Dharma is ehipassiko, a Pali word meaning "come and see (for oneself)" . Forgetting definitions, one can feel blessed, having "gone" and looked ("experienced") for oneself.
That's exactly what it's all about, ' Come and see for yourself ' and feeling ' Blessed ' that we have the Wisdom to see what is beneficial or not

'Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.'
The Buddha-Kalama Sutra.
Old 25-08-2021, 07:20 AM
Deactivated Account
Myself, I see any scripture, text, as the "word". Then there is the Living Word. Some will see Jesus, some will see Christ. Some will insist that seeing Jesus is the "only way" to knowing Christ.

It is, I have found, pointless arguing with such people.

The Universal Christ is exchanged for a time conditioned, culturally conditioned, word.
Old 25-08-2021, 09:41 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
Some say that mindfulness is an act of remembrance. Keeping something in mind. I'm pretty sure forgetting definitions does not apply in that definition of mindful. Keeping what the buddha said in mind and then look at what the beatitudes link in the OP said. There are significant differences. We could talk all day about what steven meant and what the relative similarities are.

Or not. Saying how an analysis reminds you of an unrelated Christian-based discussion you had about "sin" seems as far-fetched and unhelpful as comparing the beatitudes with the Buddha's teachings.

That said Let me ask you how you see the beatitudes in light of the Buddha's teachings.
Old 25-08-2021, 09:53 AM
Eelco

Quote:
We are 'Blessed' because we've followed the 'Path' and arrived....
These are what the Buddha calls the noble ones yes?
From there reading the sutta's it seems clear the Buddha isn't talking about the poor, the meek, the persecuted, the mourning, etc.

The noble ones from his perspective, If I understand correctly are those who comprehended their dukkha, abandoned its causes, realized their cessation, and developed the path to the cessation of all dukkha.

No blessings for those stuck in their kamma per se. But blessings for those who create the causes for it not happening again, and again, and again ad infinitum. Those are the ones worthy of respect, honor, and friendship.

Of course, those stuck in their suffering are worthy of our compassion, our goodwill, and our help.
Old 25-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Master
Blessed are the peacemakers,

for they have transformed the war in their own hearts...

'It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours.'
The Buddha....
Peace within - peace without...
Old 25-08-2021, 11:44 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Peace within - peace without...
I'll grant you the peacemakers.
Old 25-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
Some say that mindfulness is an act of remembrance...

That said Let me ask you how you see the beatitudes in light of the Buddha's teachings.

I've told you. Sorry if you can follow, but that's it.