Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 16-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Master
Does Christianity destroy self esteem or promote it?

You hear some very terrible stories about Christianity and how it can destroy self worth. How does it seem to you? Does Christianity encourage self worth or destroy it? When I was young my heart was filled with Christian spirit; yet I felt ashamed. I feel that Christs example of self sacrifice may have a negative effect on Christians who start to feel guilty about BEING themselves and loving themselves.

Are there any Christians here with a strong sense of self worth?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 16-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Master
Guilt

Honza, guilt destroys self esteem.
The message of the Gospel however, is that guilt has been appeased by the sacrifice Christ made for us. That God attributes Christ's righteousness to us, as He had taken on our sin, and guilt, in judgement.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 16-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Master
Gonza I once heard it said God loved you enough to die for you personally in Jesus.

If you are that valuable to God then you must be valuable as a person and if God loves you that much maybe you should too.

There is one commandment that deals with this. Included in one the two greatest commandments is the direction to love yourself as much as others.

Mark 12:30-31
New International Version (NIV)

30*Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31*The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.”
Old 16-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Master
But the funny thing is that I rarely meet a Christian who is bold, self confident and full of self love.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 16-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
But the funny thing is that I rarely meet a Christian who is bold, self confident and full of self love.

You know, Honza, honesty is important in life.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 16-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Mind's Eye

There are certain things in Christianity that can build self worth and self esteem; And there are some very powerful statements in the Bible about who man is, what his rights are and even the spiritual power he has through the authority of Christ.

Sadly though, most churches and Christians focus so hard on the unworthy sinner aspects of the religion, that people dare not muster a single positive thought about themselves or their lives. And if they do, it's labeled as pride. And let's not forget how so many always harp on the devil being everywhere and out to get you... These things can kill self esteem, self confidence and any shred of self assurance that a person may have.

I truly believe that if one decides to follow the Christian path, he has to study the Bible, gather a few uplifting and well researched books and just follow the leading of their own heart. I don't think organized religion and it's messengers is a good place to start at all.... it will only lead to confusion and fear in many case.... not all cases... but many.
Old 16-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza

It is hard to be bold, self confident, and full of self love when you are hounded and told on a daily basis that you are a sinner and fall short of the glory of God.

I know if I believed that to be true I would not really be self confident at all. I would probably feel worthless and probably end down a path that was full of self loathing.
Old 16-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
It is hard to be bold, self confident, and full of self love when you are hounded and told on a daily basis that you are a sinner and fall short of the glory of God.

I know if I believed that to be true I would not really be self confident at all. I would probably feel worthless and probably end down a path that was full of self loathing.

Ignoring the Truth, especially what is evident in the world around us is certainly not healthy either, Inner.
Are you one to blame all wars and crime on religion in the world? Really?
The genocide and murder whch took place in atheist Communism would counter that perspective.
How about taking an honest look at evolved human nature..?

There is Truth. Conscience and guilt are serious issues in humanity, related to the fallen physical aspects.
God gives us hope and joy in the work He has done, on our behalf, and in Christ.
As long prophecied through the ages.

Old 16-06-2012, 07:24 PM
she who plays

A big part of the problem is this concept of 'sin', and the idea that we must repent for our past misdeeds. This would equate to the concept of karma (Actions, deeds). The problem is that if one is under the spell of ignorance (Not understanding the true self) they cannot be held responsible for their actions. They will make mistakes...so what? That's how we learn and grow. What matters is trying to make the right choices in life when we are no longer ignorant.
I read that if we were to try to 'make up' for all our past lives' mistakes, we'd make a bunch more mistakes and accumulate a ton more of karma in the process.
These are really the words of the tantric mystic 'Osho'. :-) He says all it takes to undo the past is present awareness now, which gives us control over our actions. He uses the analogy of a tiny candle that ends a millenia of darkness and strife. Our presence is the tiny candle that undoes even a millenia of darkness.
Old 16-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by she who plays
A big part of the problem is this concept of 'sin', and the idea that we must repent for our past misdeeds. This would equate to the concept of karma (Actions, deeds).
The problem is that if one is under the spell of ignorance (Not understanding the true self) they cannot be held responsible for their actions. They will make mistakes...so what? That's how we learn and grow.
What matters is trying to make the right choices in life when we are no longer ignorant.
I read that if we were to try to 'make up' for all our past lives' mistakes, we'd make a bunch more mistakes and accumulate a ton more of karma in the process.
These are really the words of the tantric mystic 'Osho'. :-)
He says all it takes to undo the past is present awareness now, which gives us control over our actions. He uses the analogy of a tiny candle that ends a millenia of darkness and strife. Our presence is the tiny candle that undoes even a millenia of darkness.

It is true that people have misconception of "sin", she... and about ignorance.

"Sin" is not merely about actions in life which we commit.

We are to understand we live in a fallen and sinful world, and body.
Buddhism also speaks of illusion and ignorance of the greater reality which exists, apart from the material illusion.

Either way, how you define it, guilt is a natural consequence...
for which God had long provided for in the early ordination of practices concerning the Atonement in the Bible, for the sake of conscience in mankind.

Which is why Jesus is called "The atoning", and "sacrificial Lamb".

The situation and remedy was long established through the ages.

"Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."