Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 01-03-2024, 06:40 AM
Master
.... but then, the admonition was to have ONLY one wife which seems to imply some might have been called to 'other duties' and probably could not fill their ministerial obligations.

It seems life was so....... simple back then. LOL!

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
1 Tim 3:2 says "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife,"
I think this is self evident. They can marry.
So who were the ones that negated this?
It sounds like they mean a Bishop can't have more than one wife in a culture where having 2 or more wives was common? It was also interpreted to say "remain faithful to his wife", but the reference is basically saying sexual philandering and misconduct isn't a good look. The section just says a Bishop's behaviour needs to be respectable, and lists a few examples, But it's all prefaced with "the overseer is to be above reproach".

The other problem is, if we want to take one part of Tim as the law on a priest getting married or not, then we would have to take the rest as Gospel as well, which might confront modern ideas about feminism, sexuality, slavery and so on. If we are to say those sections are invalid, then the section about 'one wife' must also be invalid. Or... we can just cherry pick whatever appeals to out biases.

As considered and as misguided as different aspects of Tim might be, Paul was letting Tim know his conduct must be exemplary so that he is worthy of credibility and respect.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:31 AM
Master
So, as we share information / ideas here on this powerful forum - I hope you can see this everybody, we've been discussing regenerating our town from passing traffic and locals - and of course church gets a mention - 'in a big way' - be careful anyone trying this, that the wording is good to avoid laughing comments church posts sometime get on Facebook.

It's going on 2 more local groups today... Any new people, have a look back a page, to see where this great idea came from...

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/e54hFhE6cmHf523H/

Faithful follower of Jesus Christ - doing God's work, and via the Holy Spirit... I won't hold your hand and walk with you, or be around on your journey if you fall, but I will shine a light - go this way...
Old 01-03-2024, 04:34 PM
Master
Exclamation

I remember attending one Church when we decided to build a new Church.

The building we were using was rented. We wanted are own building. It appeared our congregation was 'poor' so it was decided, we would tear down old buildings for free and use the lumber to build the new Church.

One of the buildings we tore down was a hangar on a SAC airbase that hangered B-52 bombers that carried nuclear missiles and nuclear bombs. That building was huge.

I was on the roof one day with one other person. He was one of the Church's ministers. As it was, he weighed in close to 400 pounds which was to his detriment, especially when the roofing boards broke underneath him and he started going thru the hole just created.

I caught him when he was half way thru the hole. Amazingly, he didn't fall any further and was able to get out of the 'hole' he was in. After that, I somehow got elevated in the congregation to do more things.

As it was, we had a place we could store the lumber. All we needed was a way to haul the material to that place. It turned out, one Church member donated a huge flat bed truck to haul the large trusses and other material. There was only one restriction on using his truck. Anybody could drive the truck except a chap named Jim.

My recollection for the truck one day was when it loaded with trusses. I was sitting in the middle seat in the truck as we went down a long hill. Once we got to the bottom of the hill, we would go up another hill and at the top of the hill, would turn left. Sounded easy.

The truck was an older truck. When it was going downhill, the truck would free wheel. The transmission didn't 'hold' the truck back but instead acted as if the clutch was all the way in. We went down the hill like a roller coaster and went up the other hill the same way. As we got to the top to make the left hand turn, the flat bed truck turned using only the tires on the right side of the truck. Slowly, as if in slow motion, the truck continued to raise up on its left side till gravity took over and it crashed on its right side. The truck was demolished.

Guess who was driving? It was Jim. LOL!

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:29 PM
Master
Nice story there BigJohn - you've been on a journey this lifetime, as have I and many others here... There's been lots of double numbers appearing on my phone - as busy today on many groups chatting re town regeneration with all those passing cars, people driving here and there, and suggesting so much in our chats, including a big sign I suggested on the main through road displaying what's going on in town this day, come and join us etc etc... And all this time our church photo is in view to locals...

Faithful follower of Jesus Christ - doing God's work, and via the Holy Spirit... I won't hold your hand and walk with you, or be around on your journey if you fall, but I will shine a light - go this way...
Old 02-03-2024, 11:48 AM
Master
All this information / ideas still in good view here - I'm on several local FB groups with this now, but it's amazing how many people 'can't be bothered' - I was sent another dream night before last - I had put this message on somewhere with an incorrect link, regarding all this - which I hadn't... And I remember thinking in this dream it's still working.

God's Mysterious Ways - a message for me when I might have deleted one or two posts - that when it doesn't seem like it's working - 'it is' - have a good day evening there lovely people, and friends looking on here....

Old 02-03-2024, 12:45 PM
Master
Amongst some positive messages appearing on groups - a town councillor has posted positively, asked me to email him - we're on the move...

Old 02-03-2024, 04:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-light
Amongst some positive messages appearing on groups - a town councillor has posted positively, asked me to email him - we're on the move...
After all your hard work and dedication let's hope you reap some benefits through the Councillor
Old 02-03-2024, 07:32 PM
Molearner

“To whom much is given, much is expected”. When and if people begin to fill the church(this being the much that is given) then it is paramount to realize what is expected. The gospel…the good news….must be delivered. For me the central idea and purpose of the Gospel is to lead people to individual evolution and re-birth….if delivered……seems more important than telling good jokes or singing secular songs etc.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:24 PM
Master
Thank you sky - it doesn't matter if our town councillor gets back or not - words have been spoken / ideas shared re town and shops redevelopment... I said I have a vision of towns / and our town getting busy again with 2 big signs on the busy through roads saying come and visit us - and saying what's on today, events etc....

And all this time our 'church is on show' to locals, and it must be free choice to use humour in churches or not, free will... I did mention my church being busy last week on all 4 groups - not too long services, people enjoyed it I said, point made.

Tomorrow is a new day, new Sunday service yes we had some smiles last Sunday, very nice - how it goes tomorrow we shall see, but we have hope - important word that is...