Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 23-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Master
Talk 177 from "Talks with Ramana Maharshi" (this goes deep into the process of creation):

Ramana: "...the body and all other objects are contained in the brain. The LIGHT (my caps) is projected on the brain. The impressions in the brain become manifest as the body and the world. Because the ego identifies itself with limitations, the body is considered separate and the world separate."

I've practiced conscious sleep for years with the understanding that "Man is made in the image of God" and "As above so below". When one watches dream formation from start to finish, one can see how the light (of the dreamer in this case) projects on the brain of the dream-objects and how the impressions in the brain of the dream-object project the dream-body and the entire dream-world. It was Ramana's words, as noted above, that moved me to explore in this direction.

When one can still the mind ("Be still and know ... that ... I AM ... God"), one can sense alluring vibrations that are more subtle than thoughts. These vibrations, as many sages will affirm, pull one from the crown chakra (sahasrara) towards the LIGHT of the Source. The sounds are as alluring as the sounds of the sirens luring sailors to the distant shore in the Homeric epic, the Odyssey. This would be an very interesting subject for further discussion. (Edgar Cayce, the American Christian mystic who was reportedly able to read the Akashic Records of the Cosmic mind, talks about a dot --- possibly the OM point in Hindu terminology --- which he becomes as he travels towards the LIGHT drawing him to the Source. The "dot" --- bindu --- in OM is generally considered to be the seed from which the universe springs into existence.)
Old 24-11-2018, 12:46 AM
Surrender unreservedly. One of two things must be done. Either surrender
because you admit your inability and also require a Higher Power to help you;
or investigate into the cause of misery, go into the source.....
AAANNDD,
here I lost the page! Hahahaha, but I'll leave it...

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 24-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Surrender unreservedly. One of two things must be done. Either surrender
because you admit your inability and also require a Higher Power to help you;
or investigate into the cause of misery, go into the source.....
AAANNDD,
here I lost the page! Hahahaha, but I'll leave it...

Surrender is definitely the way and it is the natural outcome of investigating into the cause of misery and going into the Source.

One eventually realizes that the limited ego can only take us so far and that the limited separatist perspective doesn't always come up with the best course of action (or inaction). By surrendering to the higher power, one soars like an eagle into the spiritual sky of consciousness and intuitively knows what's best to do. Surrendering is not necessarily due to admitting inabilities and a need for help (though that is part of it); it can also be due to realizing that surrendering ALWAYS works while one's limited separatist perspective often leads to hit-or-miss decisions that are not always in the best interests of all.
Old 24-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Surrender is definitely the way and it is the natural outcome of investigating into the cause of misery and going into the Source.

One eventually realizes that the limited ego can only take us so far and that the limited separatist perspective doesn't always come up with the best course of action (or inaction). By surrendering to the higher power, one soars like an eagle into the spiritual sky of consciousness and intuitively knows what's best to do. Surrendering is not necessarily due to admitting inabilities and a need for help (though that is part of it); it can also be due to realizing that surrendering ALWAYS works while one's limited separatist perspective often leads to hit-or-miss decisions that are not always in the best interests of all.

For the old thought of me it was an inability to cope that caused the start of surrender....I knew the self but I refused to be it until I had to give up
Old 25-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanine
For the old thought of me it was an inability to cope that caused the start of surrender....I knew the self but I refused to be it until I had to give up

For me, a Phi Beta Kappa who relied strongly on intellect, the start of surrender came with the realization that my own limited separatist-ego perspective was hit-and-miss while surrender was an unerring guide (via direct experiences) to the course of action (or inaction) that is in the best interests of all.

It did not come easily, but started with faith ... (absolutely necessary to get started) ... which led to confidence (as positive results were undeniable) ... which led to trust ... which ultimately led to SURRENDER.
Old 29-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Q: How is it that Self-knowledge is said to be the easiest?

RM: Any other vidya (knowledge) requires a knower, knowledge, and an object to be known,
whereas this does not require any of them.
It is the Self.
Can anyone be as obvious as that?
Hence, it is the easiest.
All that you need do is inquire, "Who am I?"
A man's true name is mukti. (liberation)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 29-11-2018, 01:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Q: How is it that Self-knowledge is said to be the easiest?

RM: Any other vidya (knowledge) requires a knower, knowledge, and an object to be known,
whereas this does not require any of them.
It is the Self.
Can anyone be as obvious as that?
Hence, it is the easiest.
All that you need do is inquire, "Who am I?"
A man's true name is mukti. (liberation)

If I recall correctly, Ramana made other comments about the various practices and, although, he did place self-inquiry (jnana) at the top of the list, he also indicated that the practice might not be suitable for all.

For others, he recommended bhakti.

For still others, he recommended karma yoga (service).

For those who were not drawn to any of the above, he recommended that the practitioner focus on the breath since that constituted a "Natural Sedative".
Old 29-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
When one can still the mind ("Be still and know ... that ... I AM ... God"), one can sense alluring vibrations that are more subtle than thoughts. These vibrations, as many sages will affirm, pull one from the crown chakra (sahasrara) towards the LIGHT of the Source. The sounds are as alluring as the sounds of the sirens luring sailors to the distant shore in the Homeric epic, the Odyssey. This would be an very interesting subject for further discussion. (Edgar Cayce, the American Christian mystic who was reportedly able to read the Akashic Records of the Cosmic mind, talks about a dot --- possibly the OM point in Hindu terminology --- which he becomes as he travels towards the LIGHT drawing him to the Source. The "dot" --- bindu --- in OM is generally considered to be the seed from which the universe springs into existence.)

The practice of Shabd Yoga has two components, meditation on the Sound and meditation on the Light.

Meditation on the Sound involves tuning in to the Sound Current which is continuous and unchanging. On going deeper, it is felt as vibration drawing one inwards.

Meditation on the Light begins with an inner eye of brilliant Light at the brow chakra, and at the centre of this Light there is a dark point. This dark centre has been described as the beginning of the spiritual path. The meditator concentrates on this dark centre which then reveals its own shining luminosity.

Becoming immersed in the Light and the Sound we lose our sense of the separate self.

Peace.
Old 30-11-2018, 08:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
The practice of Shabd Yoga has two components, meditation on the Sound and meditation on the Light.

Meditation on the Sound involves tuning in to the Sound Current which is continuous and unchanging. On going deeper, it is felt as vibration drawing one inwards.

Meditation on the Light begins with an inner eye of brilliant Light at the brow chakra, and at the centre of this Light there is a dark point. This dark centre has been described as the beginning of the spiritual path. The meditator concentrates on this dark centre which then reveals its own shining luminosity.

Becoming immersed in the Light and the Sound we lose our sense of the separate self.

Peace.

Thank you for sharing that. With me personally, without knowing about Shabd Yoga, I found myself drawn to the subtle sound vibrations at the crown (sahasrara chakra) "drawing one inward", as you indicated. Becoming immersed in that sound, "we lose our sense of the separate self", as you also indicated. (I used to meditate on the ajna chakra at the brow, but that has now been superceded by the natural pull of the crown chakra.)

Thanks again for sharing that.

Peace.

P.S. The Light aspect of Shabd Yoga seems to correspond to the Edgar Cayce experience. Does Shabd Yoga indicate that one or the other are sufficient ?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 AM
Pathfinder

Witness is applicable when there is an object to be seen. Then it is duality

Ramana Marharshi