Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 13-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamind
I read a quote from an ISKCON leader that Hare itself refers to Radharani. So not sure which is correct. ... I also hear Rama sounding like Ramo often

The mantra is a play on words. The mantra, in my opinion, is calling on God and his energies in various ways. Hare can indeed refer to Rādhā/Rādhārāni. A name for her is Harā. In the vocative (calling or addressing) it becomes Hare.

As I mentioned the male Hari also becomes Hare in the vocative. Note the long a at the end of Harā, which is different than a name for Shiva, Hara. Because Sanskrit is so highly inflected, and there's a difference in pronunciation of vowels (long and short) and some consonants it is very flexible yet can be frighteningly ambiguous. It allows for plays on words and many meanings of one word or phrase. Context is extremely important in understanding what's being said or written.

As far as Ramo, the only thing I can think of is Ramau (au becomes o). But that is a dual inflection, basically "two Rāmas". Paired with Hari it becomes Harerāmau, like "O Vishnu and Rāma". I think this is a reach and it's probably just a pronunciation thing. In the recorded version from the Goddess of Fortune album Yamuna Devi Dasi, the singer often says Hare Krishana. There's no such inflection. So, yeah ... maybe just pronunciation.
Old 13-05-2023, 10:17 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainarayan
The mantra is a play on words. The mantra, in my opinion, is calling on God and his energies in various ways. Hare can indeed refer to Rādhā/Rādhārāni. A name for her is Harā. In the vocative (calling or addressing) it becomes Hare.

As I mentioned the male Hari also becomes Hare in the vocative. Note the long a at the end of Harā, which is different than a name for Shiva, Hara. Because Sanskrit is so highly inflected, and there's a difference in pronunciation of vowels (long and short) and some consonants it is very flexible yet can be frighteningly ambiguous. It allows for plays on words and many meanings of one word or phrase. Context is extremely important in understanding what's being said or written.

As far as Ramo, the only thing I can think of is Ramau (au becomes o). But that is a dual inflection, basically "two Rāmas". Paired with Hari it becomes Harerāmau, like "O Vishnu and Rāma". I think this is a reach and it's probably just a pronunciation thing. In the recorded version from the Goddess of Fortune album Yamuna Devi Dasi, the singer often says Hare Krishana. There's no such inflection. So, yeah ... maybe just pronunciation.

I too think Ramo is just pronunciation while they actually say Rama, but I iust find it distracting, so wanted to vent somewhere on that. There is a recording of HH Bhaktivedanta Srila Prabhupada Swami on youtube chanting, and it sounds like he’s chanting Hari instead of Hare. But I don’t think he would be chanting Hari, it’s just the way it sounds. But I think people tend to think it’s Hari, and I feel there’s a noticeable different effect if you actually say Hare.

Thanks for clarifying on Hara and Harā. I heard both that it’s a mantra for Shiva and for Radha and didn’t want to say anything because I thought it was just interpretation depending on the religious movement/sector.

Again, very interesting knowledge here. The language and how it’s based on tongue plays with the vowels and letters rings close to home. I get why it’s considered a divine language.
Old 16-05-2023, 10:05 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamind
Thanks for clarifying on Hara and Harā. I heard both that it’s a mantra for Shiva and for Radha and didn’t want to say anything because ...

You're welcome. I'm glad to help with whatever knowledge I have.
Old 24-02-2024, 01:00 PM
Ascender
Jainarayan ji, i'm discovering you, sorry for stalking you. I'm curious what you mean by "not a free for all"?

"Chanting the names of God in just about any way, though it's not a free for all, confers benefits. Pronunciation and devotion are still important."
Old 26-02-2024, 09:08 PM
Master
Whilst pronunciation is important, it is intent and love that are far more important. When chanting the Hare Krishna mantra you are invoking Krishna. the divine, and he will still bless you if your pronunciation is off a little if your intent and love are there. In fact, he will bless you more than those who pronounce correctly but have no intent and love. God knows your heart, you cannot cheat God. There is a famous spiritual story about this very thing. I have written a short story myself based on the original called, `the wrong mantra`.
Old 23-03-2024, 12:53 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralaro
Jainarayan ji, i'm discovering you, sorry for stalking you. I'm curious what you mean by "not a free for all"?

"Chanting the names of God in just about any way, though it's not a free for all, confers benefits. Pronunciation and devotion are still important."

Using a name without any sort of devotional thought. The way people blurt out "oh Jesus Christ!" (for Christians) or using one of the names in a non-devotional song. It's probably extreme, and far-fetched, but that sort of thing. There has to be a degree of devotion and mindulness.