Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Closed Thread

Old 15-02-2022, 09:51 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Sorry, you've lost me here. Why would I look up Greenslade in Google? The only other Greenslade I am aware of was a band from the 1970s, but I was never really into them (although I quite liked the artwork on their album covers).
Is your memory selective or just not so good?
Old 15-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
[b]What does spirituality mean to you in this case [me]?
I asked the same question back in the day, and it all kept leading back to me. Then along came this quote in a moment of serendipity -

"The temple of the most high begins with the human body, which houses our life, essence of our existence. Africans are in bondage today because they approach spirituality through Religion provided by foreign invaders and conquerors. We must stop confusing religion and spirituality. Religion is a set of rules, regulations and rituals created by humans which were supposed to help people grow spiritually. Due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive and a tool for power struggle.

Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simple a way of life, pure and original as was given by the most high. Spirituality is a network linking us to the most high, the universe and each other.

As the essence of our existence it embodies our culture, true identity, nationhood and destiny. A people without a nation they can really call their own is a people without a soul. Africa is our nation and is in spiritual and physical bondage because her leaders are turning to outside forces for solutions to African problems when everything Africa needs is within her. When African righteous people come together, the world will come together.

This is our divine destiny."
Haile Selassie I

So while he's talking about Africa specifically, in many ways he could be talking about how we see ourselves.
Old 15-02-2022, 10:37 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
This thread is not about ego.
This thread IS about ego, and if people understood their own egos better they'd realise that. It's the same, tired old patterns that nobody changes. Everybody is talking from their egos and that includes me. One's definition of the ego is one's ego, one's definition of Spirituality and defining oneself as Spiritual is one's ego.

Spirituality in general IS about one's ego. What is Spiritual or not is about one's ego - because the differentiated consciousness of the ego makes that distinction. Duality is created by one's ego, non-Duality is created by one's ego, the definition of 'self' is created by one's ego. I could go on but since you like it short....

The irony is that there is only Brahman, and what is not Brahman is also Brahman. Getting back to 'Spirituality again.

Last edited by Greenslade : 15-02-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old 15-02-2022, 07:28 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Ego as defined by Jung - who stole the term from the Sanskrit - defines it as "A sense of I am."
Quote:
I never said he stole the term from Sanskrit, although Aham is Sanskrit for 'I'.
This is rapidly descending into farce.

Peace
Old 15-02-2022, 07:39 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
This is rapidly descending into farce.Peace
Another element of farce is that the thread was not intended to be about EGO in the first place!
Old 15-02-2022, 07:39 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
This thread IS about ego, and if people understood their own egos better they'd realise that.
That's disingenuous.....
Old 15-02-2022, 07:41 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
So we can't choose what has most appeal to us individually? Understanding the ego is key to Spirituality.
also disingenuous
Old 15-02-2022, 07:44 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Which you've embraced fully.
Agree. Some of us are quite happy to use the term ego as pertaining to identification with the lower principles of personality and then Greenslade steps in and insists that it can only be used as Jung defined it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
So what does spirituality mean to you?
That which pertains to the human principles of Atma-Buddhi-Manas, as opposed to the lesser personality principles of mind-emotions-body.

Peace
Old 15-02-2022, 07:47 PM
Master
Quote:
That which pertains to the human principles of Atma-Buddhi-Manas, as opposed to the lesser personality principles of mind-emotions-body.

Peace

Okay. I don't know about those distinctions (manas in particular?), but to me it (spirituality) is about the immaterial so perhaps we mean the same. Having said that, to me spirituality is all around us, not 'far away' but expressed indirectly through all life. In that sense, we always live in a spiritual world.
Old 15-02-2022, 08:03 PM
Guide
Talking

Quote:
This is rapidly descending into farce.

Peace
Somewhat reminiscent of...
https://youtu.be/ohDB5gbtaEQ