Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 27-06-2023, 08:44 AM
Master
Benefits of Buddhism in everyday life.

There are many benefits from practicing Buddhism, but unless we have personal experience gained from them they are nothing more than words or ideas. I personally have benefited from many over the years, 'letting go' was probably one of the most difficult but one of the most beneficial looking back... Now when I'm faced with problems I ask myself, what does this problem ask me to let go of?
Anyone want to share theirs
Old 27-06-2023, 03:40 PM
Master

Yeah it did the same for me Sky when I was going thru a few years of a very difficult situation.

Nothing had such a profound effect on me than the Buddhist teachings at that time. It gave me a whole different perspective on what was happening to me and I came out the other end a reasonably sane person, when i could have been bitter and resentful.

Being in control of my thoughts and none attachment was the most valuable things I learnt and it made a huge difference to my life in general. I still continue with that practice.

I’m not a Buddhist per se but I certainly use some of the philosophy in my daily life.

I don’t believe in religion as I don’t like rules and regulations from a man made institution telling me how to live my life but Buddhism does the complete opposite. The responsibility is on our own shoulders so to speak and I like that.
Old 28-06-2023, 05:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
Yeah it did the same for me Sky when I was going thru a few years of a very difficult situation.

Being in control of my thoughts and none attachment was the most valuable things I learnt

I think the heaviest burden we carry around all of our lives is our thoughts, with them we create our reality. Letting go of the destructive one's is definitely beneficial but not always easy in everyday life, they sometimes seem to be like superglue which needs to be prised off bit by bit
Old 28-06-2023, 08:56 AM
Master

Yes letting go of the destructive ones is very helpful.

I can still have a destructive thought just like anyone else but it doesn’t linger anymore ie go on and on and on for hours or days with more negative stuff getting added to it over time. Being able to “nick it in the bud” so to speak makes a huge difference.

I love what JustBe says:

Buddhism promises nothing but delivers.

Ide definitely agree with that.

Thanks for starting this thread Sky. I would love to hear about other peoples experiences and views of Buddhism.
Old 28-06-2023, 12:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
I love what JustBe says:
Buddhism promises nothing but delivers.
Yes I've seen that written in various places but by reading His Suttas/Sutras we can see that The Buddha and Buddhism does promise ....
The Buddha Himself according to Scriptures actually made many promises my fav is, "Those who have not yet been ferried over, I will ferry over." or " Having crossed over I will rescue others."
Bodhisattvas vow are full of promises....
Old 28-06-2023, 02:32 PM
There is a quote about thoughts you my like:
"Thoughts are like birds overhead...you can't control them ,
but you certainly can stop them from making a nest in your hair."

I learned SO much decades ago just reading this famous story:
(Paraphrased and shortened.)
It's about the monk that found himself grasping only a tree root, when below him was a 1000 foot drop,
while 2 mice, a black one and a white one, were gnawing at the root.
When he saw a strawberry on the cliff and said, "Ah! A strawberry!"

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 28-06-2023, 03:32 PM
Master

Luuuuuuv your quote Miss H!

Yes I’ve read that little story before. It’s a good one.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:14 PM
Knower
Buddhism has great quotes that can pop in the mind to steer your path toward Peace and Serenity.
“Three things cannot hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth.”
“Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.”
“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.”
Old 02-07-2023, 03:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezi-ulgen
Buddhism has great quotes that can pop in the mind to steer your path toward Peace and Serenity.

It certainly has, one of my many favourites is,
“Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
This helps me when I regret what I did or didn't do the previous day
Old 02-07-2023, 05:32 PM
Master

Love the first one Eezy!!!